• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Privilege

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
So how about the advantages that blacks have that whites do not, like getting to go to college with full scholarship, having several "affirmative action" organizations backing them, being more able to receive government assistance, and - contrary to your claim - being placed ahead in hiring considerations to maintain a company representation of diversity over qualifications?

It's really getting old when I read about whites having to talk about affirmative action when white women benefit more than anyone. The existence of affirmative action is because whites historically have set up systems where people of color cannot get equal treatment like schools (hence HBCU) or jobs.

As far as government assistance you do realize whites are the beneficiaries of more government assistance than anyone. Screw the "there are more whites in the country" if you are able bodied then you can work. The population argument is null and void. I could understand if 60% of the white population in the states ALL worked versus 13%.

But use your critique across the board.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Perhaps you don't see all the possible reasons for anger, annoyance or objection, eh?

Tis a common claim that black folk understand white folk, but not vice versa.
Hogwash. Both sides have trouble understanding the other.

It's hard to take you serious sometimes due to the way you write or because it's truly how you talk. But to respond at what position do I need to understand whites who systemically and historically have benefitted over all people of melanin?

My parents and grandparents and their parents and so forth were taught exactly like the video I posted. So what can I learn from the other side other than not blaming those innocent? Nothing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's hard to take you serious sometimes due to the way you write or because it's truly how you talk. But to respond at what position do I need to understand whites who systemically and historically have benefitted over all people of melanin?

My parents and grandparents and their parents and so forth were taught exactly like the video I posted. So what can I learn from the other side other than not blaming those innocent? Nothing.
Beware the belief that one has the truth because one is gifted with superior insight.
If not backed up by cogent argument, it's just a comforting illusion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We are not talking about philosophical truisms here I asked a clear question
You asked 2 questions.
Initially, I'd responded to your post (#149), wherein you considered why some white people get mad at this obsession with "privilege". This is about understanding another's perspective. But I don't see much of that going on.
1st question....
But to respond at what position do I need to understand whites who systemically and historically have benefitted over all people of melanin?
This question is unclear, & it's loaded. It didn't seem something worth answering.
If people who looked like me had benefits over people who looked like you, this
shouldn't make you feel victimized, or make me feel guilty. (My ancestors didn't
even get here until after the Civil War.)
But if you want to criticize people, or weigh in on social phenomena, it would pay
understand people.

2nd question....
So what can I learn from the other side other than not blaming those innocent? Nothing.
You answered your own question...incorrectly, btw.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
It's really getting old when I read about whites having to talk about affirmative action when white women benefit more than anyone.
Old like that post--holy crap. But cool for them. I'm not a woman.

The existence of affirmative action is because whites historically have set up systems where people of color cannot get equal treatment like schools (hence HBCU) or jobs.
And that sucks for history; history's got nothing to do with work situations currently.

As far as government assistance you do realize whites are the beneficiaries of more government assistance than anyone.
Prove it. Because my wife and I were just denied for food assistance, and had to pick up a fourth job as a result.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

And that sucks for history; history's got nothing to do with work situations currently.

Prove it. Because my wife and I were just denied for food assistance, and had to pick up a fourth job as a result.

White women and affirmative action

Affirmative Action Has Helped White Women More Than Anyone | TIME.com

Whites and social security

The biggest beneficiaries of the government safety net: Working-class whites

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

I highly doubt your story about the fourth job. 2011 I was laid off and was out a job for 6 months. Had to deliver pizzas while in my first masters program. I was also on welfare. I had to use my retirement to supplement my income. I was so broke I used to recycle to feed myself so dont complain about getting a job. You either are lying or doing something dumb.

I never qualified for GR (General Relief) because I had a car. That got repod eventually. Basically you have to lie to the state that you are homeless, with mental health issues. So GTFOH with your wife issues. I was there!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I highly doubt your story about the fourth job. 2011 I was laid off and was out a job for 6 months. Had to deliver pizzas while in my first masters program. I was also on welfare. I had to use my retirement to supplement my income. I was so broke I used to recycle to feed myself so dont complain about getting a job. You either are lying or doing something dumb.

I never qualified for GR (General Relief) because I had a car. That got repod eventually. Basically you have to lie to the state that you are homeless, with mental health issues. So GTFOH with your wife issues. I was there!
What the?....trash talking at the Victim Olympics?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Some simple rules of white privilege as taught by parents (or should have):
Nobody owes you anything
If you want something you work for it.
If it isn't yours don't mess with it
When you first start a job you pay your dues I.e. You will get some of the hardest jobs, dont ***** about it, eventually you will get other positions.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You asked 2 questions.
Initially, I'd responded to your post (#149), wherein you considered why some white people get mad at this obsession with "privilege". This is about understanding another's perspective. But I don't see much of that going on.
1st question....

This question is unclear, & it's loaded. It didn't seem something worth answering.
If people who looked like me had benefits over people who looked like you, this
shouldn't make you feel victimized, or make me feel guilty. (My ancestors didn't
even get here until after the Civil War.)
But if you want to criticize people, or weigh in on social phenomena, it would pay
understand people.

2nd question....

You answered your own question...incorrectly, btw.

I don't think white people necessarily get mad over the obsession with privilege. I think it's more a matter of not liking it when they are lumped in together in the same group known as "white" (which itself doesn't even have a clear definition). This is probably true for people of any race or nationality, especially in recent times when people are encouraged to judge others as individuals and not as members of a racial group. A lot of people simply don't like to be lumped in with a "group," especially if they didn't join that group voluntarily.

That's why I believe that this country was never really willing to honestly face some of the issues with our history regarding this topic. We've been on the wrong track for the past 50 years, while wondering why we're still having problems like this.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I don't think white people necessarily get mad over the obsession with privilege. I think it's more a matter of not liking it when they are lumped in together in the same group known as "white" (which itself doesn't even have a clear definition). This is probably true for people of any race or nationality, especially in recent times when people are encouraged to judge others as individuals and not as members of a racial group. A lot of people simply don't like to be lumped in with a "group," especially if they didn't join that group voluntarily.

That's why I believe that this country was never really willing to honestly face some of the issues with our history regarding this topic. We've been on the wrong track for the past 50 years, while wondering why we're still having problems like this.

I truly believe some white folks hate to have their privilege exposed. For example that Arizona flag you have. I used to live in Tucson in '95 where they don't celebrate MLK. My mom asked why at an Ihop. We was told they don't celebrate colored folks day...lol

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Whites and social security
A four year old study that shows only half of whites without college degrees were "saved" by social services. In a study meant to show that "Hey, white people are affected by poverty too". Your study shows that 44% of whites were raised above poverty level, while 43% of blacks were raised in the same fashion; congratulations, half of poor degree-less whites receive "move benefits than anyone" by a whole one percent. I don't know what point you were trying to make with this, but it doesn't seem to have made much of one.

Please dont whine about your wife or anyone why can't your ingroup leave assistance to poor people? I mean that is what poor minorities are taught
Do you want to try that one again, but this time in plain English?

I highly doubt your story about the fourth job.
You can doubt it all you want, but neither your doubt nor your attempted +1Up! story change the fact that we are working four jobs just to get by. Your white privilege myth is bull****.

Not surprised another white guy sticking up for another white guy...sorry not trying to hear sad stories
That's a pretty racist statement. Also I identify as European American, thanks.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I truly believe some white folks hate to have their privilege exposed. For example that Arizona flag you have. I used to live in Tucson in '95 where they don't celebrate MLK. My mom asked why at an Ihop. We was told they don't celebrate colored folks day...lol

Well, we do have an MLK holiday now. Actually, that was decided in 1992, after the debacle in 1990 when there were two separate ballot propositions on the same issue. That confused the voters. But for whatever it's worth, Arizona is the only state to have the MLK holiday declared by popular referendum. No other state can make that claim.

I just have the AZ flag because I think it's a cool flag. No political statement, but at least it identifies where I'm from.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Blaming it on race, eh?
That doesn't excuse the profane hostility of the post,
nor the claim of authority based upon greater suffering.

No because I'm not trying to hear the "My wife couldn't get assistance" crap. I was on government assistance I know how the process works. You can get assistance. Then he mentions affirmative action in which white women benefit from the most plus (here is the key phrase) government assistance in which white people take advantage yet you chime in in which his and my exchange had nothing to do with you hence my reaction to you.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
A four year old study that shows only half of whites without college degrees were "saved" by social services. In a study meant to show that "Hey, white people are affected by poverty too". Your study shows that 44% of whites were raised above poverty level, while 43% of blacks were raised in the same fashion; congratulations, half of poor degree-less whites receive "move benefits than anyone" by a whole one percent. I don't know what point you were trying to make with this, but it doesn't seem to have made much of one.

Do you want to try that one again, but this time in plain English?

You can doubt it all you want, but neither your doubt nor your attempted +1Up! story change the fact that we are working four jobs just to get by. Your white privilege myth is bull****.

That's a pretty racist statement. Also I identify as European American, thanks.

Do you know the definition of racism? Now if I said here comes a peckerwood defending another peckerwood then yes I could understand the racism. However I'm using a descriptor not using slurs, big difference. Like I said your story is full of sh*t however you're talking about a 4 year old study but there is no significant difference today.

Who Gets Food Stamps? White People, Mostly

"Government assistance and tax credits lifted 6.2 million working-class whites out of poverty in 2014, more than any other racial or ethnic demographic. Half of all working-age adults without college degrees lifted out of poverty by safety-net programs are white; nearly a quarter are black and a fifth are Hispanic."

Read more at: Do Whites Benefit Disproportionately from Welfare?

***Edit***

Last edited by a moderator: