• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Privilege

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
It's not something that needs to be hyper-analyzed. There are grants and scholarships granted to blacks based on their skin color alone. That is a privilege. There is language that is monopolized (and socially punished otherwise) by black Americans. That is a privilege. These days especially, it is a very common theme that it is literally impossible for blacks to be racist. That is a privilege.

I mean, when you want to over-generalize what a privilege is and assume such across an entire ethnic demographic the nation over, everyone has privileges that can be assumed.

1. The unfair treatment of people who belong to a different race; violent behavior towards them
2. The belief that some races of people are better than others

Literally the definition of racism. Black people are not social superhumans, they are not special in this regard. They are quite able to be racist, and no dredging up of distant history or assertions of "institutionalized racism" excuse racism. Targeting white people to kill just because they're white or beating up a white kid for the heinous crime of being white and trying to wear a FUBU shirt is still racism, and not excused by any imagined or claimed history, suffrage, or any other such weak justification for racial violence.

Saint Nicholas might be, but that's not a large part of the imagery of the figure of Santa Claus. That comes primarily from both Odin and Morozhko, cultural figures who are very much "white" European. It's cultural appropriation.

The fact that he is literally described as the whitest of the æsir. Heimdallr is a Norse deity (white European) and casting him as a black Asgardian - while Idris did a fantastic job acting - is cultural appropriation. Imagine the social ****storm that would come about if there was a movie made about Anansi the Spider cast with a white man in the titular role.

I literally wasted my time writing my last post to you with clear evidence to back my claims. Links after links. This thread proves that people cannot face the ugliness of racism. You have demonstrated you are one of the few whites that have cognitive dissonance on this issue and incapable of actually looking at the other side.

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It's not something that needs to be hyper-analyzed. There are grants and scholarships granted to blacks based on their skin color alone. That is a privilege.
Except it's not an advantage granted to black people purely because they are black, but a response to severe academic disparity and a reaction against institutional racist bias. It is granted because of preferential treatment of white people, so it is not "black privilege".

There is language that is monopolized (and socially punished otherwise) by black Americans. That is a privilege.
No, it isn't, for the same reason that comedians who swear and say what they like on stage don't have a "privilege" over politicians who have to be far more mindful of what they say. Language is largely about context rather than just content.

These days especially, it is a very common theme that it is literally impossible for blacks to be racist. That is a privilege.
Again, no it isn't, as this is an idea that arose in direct response to institutionalized perceptions of black people in predominantly white societies that are even embraced by black people.

I mean, when you want to over-generalize what a privilege is and assume such across an entire ethnic demographic the nation over, everyone has privileges that can be assumed.
Sure they do, just not the specific ones you've listed. There is still, of course, gender and sexual privilege, for example.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Based upon all the discussions, I have it all figured out.....
The cry, "White Privilege!" is the Victim Olympics equivalent of "On your mark...set...go!"

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Or the ****storm that was stirred up over a British TV show's decision to cast a white person as Michael Jackson.
I didn't forget about that, but it is honestly different. How else are they going to depict Michael Jackson in the later years? He's not exactly Sidney Poitier.

Michael-michael-jackson-32789360-1600-1145.jpg

I literally wasted my time writing my last post to you with clear evidence to back my claims. Links after links.
Yes, you did. Because link after link of (ironically) well-off and sheltered people doesn't give actual evidence to what people live day in and day out. This thread does certainly show that some people can't face racism, but not in the way that you intend or want it to. You don't want an honest look at racism, you want a one-sided benefit-and-recompense system. Well, that doesn't help anything; as our society is showing it just moronically fuels the cycle even further.

You have demonstrated you are one of the few whites that have cognitive dissonance on this issue and incapable of actually looking at the other side.
No. I have demonstrated that I am unwilling to accept the narrative that you want me to. You set yourself up here in this thread as an authority on racism because (I assume from your statements) you're black and you've lived it. Well I've lived racism too, but because I'm "white" you (and other proponents of "white privilege") either tell me that it's justified because "muh racisms" and what was done before I was even born, you limit the definition of racism to systematic nonsense that somehow means everything and nothing at the same time, or worse still you dismiss my experiences and total lack of impacting and beneficial privileges as lying.

Then you want me to accept studies done on chosen communities and sample populations in areas that - for better or worse - don't represent the nation as a whole, directed by people who live lives so far above the economic line of comfortable living that I can't even dream of it. You want me to accept this assumed national narrative over what I see and experience day in and day out, and to ignore actual racism as something far less demographically mutual, and much more insidiously one-sided. Oh, that black guy screaming "f*** all you cracker devils" isn't being racist, he's just angry about "the system". It's just a joke when it's said that "white people can't [insert whatever here]," it doesn't mean anything. Bull****. It's all racism. From the black guy that passes by the white clerk with a scowl to enthusiastically greet the black clerk as "brotha", to the polo wearing Ivy league douche wielding a Tiki torch and idiotic ideology of supremacy.

Except it's not an advantage granted to black people purely because they are black,
Yes it is. You can add the garnish of "responses to the system," but they're still getting money based on skin color, to use at institutions that by and large don't discriminate based on ethnicity, economic status, etc. Not every college in the nation is an Ivy League college.

No, it isn't, for the same reason that comedians who swear and say what they like...
Ah, so I can start using "the N word" so long as I don't mean it aggressively. Got it. Because as you said, context over content.

Again, no it isn't, as this is an idea that arose in direct response...
To literally being told that - for example - the Dallas sniper wasn't a racist when he himself said that he was targeting white people and cops. That it was just him "reacting to the system." When you can scream about dead cops, how white people are all "f***ing devils", how you're going to kill white people, and on and on, and not be seen as a stark-raving homicidal racist, you are privileged out the wazoo.

gnomon

Well tell you what, gnome, I'll do us both a favor and just ignore you. Such is not beyond me, and you're hypocritically not contributing much beyond personal insult to a thread that (in my opinion) already doesn't have much of a point. If it makes you feel better, just blame it on the "white privilege" that I refuse to check.

It's gnomon.

You don't want to check "white privilege"....fine.

Ignore me.......fine.

But seriously time and time again those on this forum refusing to recognize the long lasting affects of the Jim Crow laws in the South, the racism in the North, the racist housing policies nation wide and....of course.......the long established racism of the United States drug laws.

Ignore me.....**** you.

You just stated you are unwilling to learn anything just like many others who are arguing against white privilege.

Check your ****ing privilege and I extend to the other fools on this forum.

Seriously sad.

Reading this thread just shows me a bunch of idiots cannot be bothered reading the Uniform Crime Report, studying the nature of law enforcement in this nation, the history of sentencing disparity among disparate ethnic groups for the exact same crime in this nation, the housing issues based upon race in this nation.........

This is the most god damned bull**** thread I've read of people trying to twist around to avoid actually discussing what is actually going on in this nation. Those making a twist might as well wish they were professional NFL athletes taking a ****ing knee.

edit: Forgot to add. I love you all anyway. Sorry.

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Yes it is. You can add the garnish of "responses to the system," but they're still getting money based on skin color, to use at institutions that by and large don't discriminate based on ethnicity, economic status, etc. Not every college in the nation is an Ivy League college.
Removing justifying context is dishonest.

Ah, so I can start using "the N word" so long as I don't mean it aggressively. Got it. Because as you said, context over content.
Actually, yes. You can. And white comedians regularly do.

To literally being told that - for example - the Dallas sniper wasn't a racist when he himself said that he was targeting white people and cops. That it was just him "reacting to the system." When you can scream about dead cops, how white people are all "f***ing devils", how you're going to kill white people, and on and on, and not be seen as a stark-raving homicidal racist, you are privileged out the wazoo.
I don't believe I said black people can't be racist - but you're not talking about the same thing as institutionalized racism. And stop using this childish hyperbole. You and I both know that not being given the label "racist" doesn't make someone "priveleged out the wazoo". That's plain delusional.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Removing justifying context is dishonest.
Your "justifying context" was addressed when I said "at institutions that by and large don't discriminate based on ethnicity, economic status, etc." When I went to college, my black classmates and I enrolled as social and economic equals. Only they were getting a couple thousand dollars a year just for being black, whereas I got no such benefit just for being white.

Actually, yes. You can. And white comedians regularly do.
And then they get socially (or even financially) ruined. Yes, technically I am physically capable of saying "the N word". But don't act like there aren't serious repercussions to being the wrong skin color and saying it. Meanwhile no such social punishments (or even forum censors) exist for words like cracker, honkey, white trash, caulkie, caucazoid, goober, milky, opie, pinky, redneck, hick, peckerwood, wasp, whitey, WIC, wonder bread, big mac, Neanderthal, pipe blower, paddy, shant, tatter-tot, dago, wop, dagowop, guido, goombah...

I don't believe I said black people can't be racist
You might not have, but it has been said.

You and I both know that not being given the label "racist" doesn't make someone "priveleged out the wazoo".
Sure seems like a privilege to me. One can't even question the nature of racism without being called a racist themselves, if their skin is white. But call an entire generalized demographic "devils" and talk about how they should all just be killed, and it's just "anger against 'the system'."

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Your "justifying context" was addressed when I said "at institutions that by and large don't discriminate based on ethnicity, economic status, etc." When I went to college, my black classmates and I enrolled as social and economic equals. Only they were getting a couple thousand dollars a year just for being black, whereas I got no such benefit just for being white.
So you think that, if they are of a reasonable social or economic background, black people cannot still face discrimination? Do you not realize that the simple fact of being black exposes a person to a tremendous amount of institutional bias?

And then they get socially (or even financially) ruined.
Really? Louis CK did pretty well for himself until fairly recently.

Yes, technically I am physically capable of saying "the N word". But don't act like there aren't serious repercussions to being the wrong skin color and saying it. Meanwhile no such social punishments (or even forum censors) exist for words like cracker, honkey, white trash, caulkie, caucazoid, goober, milky, opie, pinky, redneck, hick, peckerwood, wasp, whitey, WIC, wonder bread, big mac, Neanderthal, pipe blower, paddy, shant, tatter-tot, dago, wop, dagowop, guido, goombah...
Because they don't have the same socio-historical context. Surely you understand how a word's historical use can affect its use today, and the fact remains that white people can and do get away with using the word in ironic or observational manners.

You might not have, but it has been said.
You'd have to take that up with them.

Sure seems like a privilege to me.
Then you don't know what privilege is.

One can't even question the nature of racism without being called a racist themselves, if their skin is white. But call an entire generalized demographic "devils" and talk about how they should all just be killed, and it's just "anger against 'the system'."
Have you seriously considered the possibility that this might be more complicated than you'd like it to be?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
So you think that, if they are of a reasonable social or economic background, black people cannot still face discrimination?
That is not what I've said, at all.

Really? Louis CK did pretty well for himself until fairly recently.
Michael Richards sure didn't. Neither did Paula Deen, Madonna, Gwyneth Paltrow (despite her use being the title of a song), Charlie Sheen, Paris Hilton, Tim Allen, Donald Sterling, and several NFL coaches.

Because they don't have the same socio-historical context.
You're right there. They do not. On the one hand, we have "the N word". Derived from many words that just mean "black" (negro, noir, etc,), and not considered a racial slur until 1909 when the NAACP determined that "colored" (which later became a pejorative) was the preferred term. Then we've got the other ones; let's itemize them.

Cracker: Reference to the sound a slave master's whip made; literally being called a slave owner.
Honkey: Reference to Southern "honky tonk" music.
White Trash: Self-explanatory; low-class/poverty whites.
Caulkie: Caulk is usually white in color.
Caucazoid: Belittlement of "Caucasian".
Goober: Derogatory term developed by blacks in NYC.
Milky: The color of milk.
Opie: Derogatory "nickname" for whites.
Pinky: Variant of "whitey" for whites who's skin color is closer to pink.
Redneck: Rural whites.
Hick: "Uncultured" rural whites.
Peckerwood: Southern black term for redneck, derived from the red-necked woodpecker.
Wasp: White Anglo-Saxon Protestant.
Whitey: Self-explanatory.
WIC: White-Irish-Catholic.
Wonder Bread: Wonderbread is white and artificial (compared to wheat breads).
Big Mac: Mockery of a common Scottish surname.
Neanderthal: Self explanatory; European cave-man species.
Pipe Blower: Because of bagpipes.
Paddy/Patty: Derived (derogatorily) from the common Irish name Padraig.
Shant: Poor Irish, derived from the shanties lived in during their immigration to America.
Tatter-tot: Child of an Irishman; stereotype on the Irish and potatoes.
Dago: Mangling of a common Italian name "Diego".
Wop: "Without Papers", infers Italian mob connections linked with immigration.
Dagowop: Combination of "dago" and "wop".
Guido/Guidette: Infers mafia connection or a criminal lifestyle.
Goombah: Derived from the Italian for "a close friend," but considered a slur when used by non-Italians.

Oh, but yeah the "n word" is so much worse because.

Then you don't know what privilege is.
Correction: I don't agree with what you want privilege to be.

Have you seriously considered the possibility that this might be more complicated than you'd like it to be?
I am quite aware of how complicated race issues are in this country. Have you seriously considered the possibility that they don't have to be as complicated as both sides make them to be?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
You asked no question. You "let Greg Popovich" (a man worth $20 million dollars) "tell it". You really think he's got the same social struggles as any of us? This is exactly the problem with your argument.

Last edited: