• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Privilege

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The term "racism" doesn't describe what I'm talking about. It isn't about racism, per se. It's about what is comfortable for those in charge, whether it be the police, the government, or employers.
You mean, of course, their racism. Because there are people in charge - in law enforcement, in the government, as business employers - who are definitely not racist, don't keep black people down any more or less than anyone else, and offer fair treatment for everyone.

It's a major consideration because things don't change instantly when the law does. Many cops took a very long time to enforce the law. Many judges refused to enforce the law.
Where? When? Just saying "a bunch of cops are racist and lazy" does nothing, provides nothing, and proves nothing.

Just look at voting rights. Blacks legally had the right to vote for decades before they were actually permitted to vote in certain states in the south.
Well, that sucks for the south. How does that relate to the rest of America, and how does that have anything to do with a great number of white people who are told to "check their privilege"?

So, it is just speculation. No one told you it was because you were white, right?
See, what you're doing here is justifying racism. You're trying to find some other reason, other than just blatant racism, to invalidate my experiences with racism. Does anyone making laws and gerrymandering zones (the people who keep blacks down) come right out and say that their actions are because those people are black? Of course not! But I'm white, so the racist injustices that I faced must have been from something else. You mention equality several times, but I believe that with many on the Left, you're a bit confused or misunderstanding as to what equality means. Everyone would flip their lid - and does, often - when this is done to black people (e.g. "was the cashier really a racist, or were you being rude?")

Why do you think it's "horrible"?
You've never worried about the rug being pulled out from under you because of your race, have you? Never had to worry about actual drug dealers making often violent deals in the parking lot out back? Worried about being on the "wrong turf" when practically everywhere is the wrong turf? These are not stereotypes, they are facts of experience. Trivializing them, or trying to find "the source of the problem" just because I'm white is wrong.

It is nice to see some level headed "white folks" know the real (assuming y'all white lol).
That's pretty racist of you.

Nous

Premium Member
White privilege is the effect of the discrimination where white people get more call-backs on equivalent resumes as those identified as belonging to an African American.
It reminds me of the old cup description....is it half empty or half full?

What you see is whites getting a general unfair advantage.
What I see is that specific black persons endure unjust discrimination.
That sounds all very confused. The advantages that white people in the US have but that African Americans (et al.) do not have occur by way of discriminatory treatment that favors white people--such as by discarding resumes that are identified as being from African Americans.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The advantages that white people in the US have but that African Americans (et al.) do not have occur by way of discriminatory treatment that favors white people--such as by discarding resumes that are identified as being from African Americans.
So how about the advantages that blacks have that whites do not, like getting to go to college with full scholarship, having several "affirmative action" organizations backing them, being more able to receive government assistance, and - contrary to your claim - being placed ahead in hiring considerations to maintain a company representation of diversity over qualifications?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
You mean, of course, their racism. Because there are people in charge - in law enforcement, in the government, as business employers - who are definitely not racist, don't keep black people down any more or less than anyone else, and offer fair treatment for everyone.

Where? When? Just saying "a bunch of cops are racist and lazy" does nothing, provides nothing, and proves nothing.

Well, that sucks for the south. How does that relate to the rest of America, and how does that have anything to do with a great number of white people who are told to "check their privilege"?

See, what you're doing here is justifying racism. You're trying to find some other reason, other than just blatant racism, to invalidate my experiences with racism. Does anyone making laws and gerrymandering zones (the people who keep blacks down) come right out and say that their actions are because those people are black? Of course not! But I'm white, so the racist injustices that I faced must have been from something else. You mention equality several times, but I believe that with many on the Left, you're a bit confused or misunderstanding as to what equality means. Everyone would flip their lid - and does, often - when this is done to black people (e.g. "was the cashier really a racist, or were you being rude?")

You've never worried about the rug being pulled out from under you because of your race, have you? Never had to worry about actual drug dealers making often violent deals in the parking lot out back? Worried about being on the "wrong turf" when practically everywhere is the wrong turf? These are not stereotypes, they are facts of experience. Trivializing them, or trying to find "the source of the problem" just because I'm white is wrong.

That's pretty racist of you.

Please tell me how I use an identifier as a racist comment? Please don't reply with a stupid answer. BTW stop making videos you look sweet.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Stating that there are "level-headed white people" who "know the real," which insinuates that those who don't agree with "the real" are not level headed. It's quite possible that I read into your statement, but on the other hand it has about as many qualifiers of a "racist" comment that others do.

gnomon

"Gentrification" is just a code word for......
"Whites are move'n back! And the rent is rise'n! Damn hipsters!"
People need to get over the reality of economics, ie,
desirable areas get more expensive & more Starbucks.

What's the purpose of saying "white privilege exists"?
Is there anyone here unaware that various groups have various privileges?
Does saying it change anything?
Other than making the SJWs feel comforting white guilt....making black
folk feel victimized.....& making sentient beings feel tedium & annoyance?

The criminal injustice system sucks.
The civil injustice system sucks.
Slogans dissing white folk won't fix this problem.

And the so called SJW's they are not addressing slogans.

Gentrification is not about hipsters.

White privilege exists and if you are too ****ing stupid to recognize it.......

Well I have an old familiar suggestion for you and your supporters.

edit: And to think it takes a Southern boy to point out the ****ing obvious.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
White privilege exists and if you are too ****ing stupid to recognize it.......
Tiny though my brain may be, I've not denied its existence.
I just find your obsession with it dysfunctional, ie, it does no one any good.
Tis more productive to recognize & fight wrongful discrimination.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Stating that there are "level-headed white people" who "know the real," which insinuates that those who don't agree with "the real" are not level headed. It's quite possible that I read into your statement, but on the other hand it has about as many qualifiers of a "racist" comment that others do.

You read into it like what I see on social media "you're racist for pointing out racism" which is the most idiotic thing to date. When I talk about "level headed white folks" in a satirical fashion, I am referring to Caucasians who are conscientious of racism, the plight of people of color (not just black folks), and those that are encountering injustice.

There are those that exist among the Caucasian demographic that do not understand, nor qualify, nor acknowledge the aforementioned, so yes I have to acknowledge those among the demographic my salutation in what shall I say in colloquial terms? Give a sh*t about what happens to people of color. So yes if you do not care what happens to other humans who have different skin pigmentation, or you do not care if the likes of Tamir Rice who was gunned down in a split second who was not even a teenager if you do not care what happens to your fellow man who happens to have a darker skin tone than you then yes you are NOT a level headed white person......It is not racist to call you by your pigmentation (although inaccurate as it may be) but I call it how I see it.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
White-privilege1.jpg

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
An absolutely ridiculous and unverifiable statement, as shown by this thread. You're merely offering up an empty phrase that suggests my skin color grants me unbiased social benefits, and that I am better off for it. This falls flat on it's face, for reasons that I've given throughout the thread. The phrase is especially empty, and your claim thus compounded, in that you all can't even agree on what "white privilege" is. In this thread alone, it's ranged from petty nonsense that I "don't have to worry about" to issues that don't even affect or concern me. (Meaning the definition offered of "[some] black people's suffrage in [some areas of] America at the hands of racists = white privilege."

gnomon

Tiny though my brain may be, I've not denied its existence.
I just find your obsession with it dysfunctional, ie, it does no one any good.
Tis more productive to recognize & fight wrongful discrimination.

Your brain is not nearly as tiny as mine right now.

Due to .... I can't read the label.

Sorry I went over the top on you.

On a reread I understand what you are saying.

I still say white privilege exists but I think you are understanding what I'm talking about in regards to such things as drug enforcement, housing, etc.

But in the media the way the term is used does halt useful discussion.

I'll point the old familiar suggestion my way this time. Well deserved.

Forum members shouldn't allow other forum members drink and post.

Too late.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Your brain is not nearly as tiny as mine right now.

Due to .... I can't read the label.

Sorry I went over the top on you.

On a reread I understand what you are saying.

I still say white privilege exists but I think you are understanding what I'm talking about in regards to such things as drug enforcement, housing, etc.

But in the media the way the term is used does halt useful discussion.

I'll point the old familiar suggestion my way this time. Well deserved.

Forum members shouldn't allow other forum members drink and post.

Too late.
We're good.
You're not the only grumpy cat in my life, buddy.
(And you don't even bite or miss the litter box.)

Nous

Premium Member
So how about the advantages that blacks have that whites do not, like getting to go to college with full scholarship
White people are not disallowed to go to college with full scholarships. Why say such an absurd thing?

having several "affirmative action" organizations backing them
I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. What are "affirmative action organizations" that "back" African Americans. Name them. Show what these organizations do in order to effect "Black privilege".

being more able to receive government assistance
Prove it.

and - contrary to your claim - being placed ahead in hiring considerations to maintain a company representation of diversity over qualifications?
Prove it.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
White people are not disallowed to go to college with full scholarships. Why say such an absurd thing?
Because white people don't just get scholarships for being white. Black people do. Some of those are even grants, meaning they don't have to give back that money at all.

I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. What are "affirmative action organizations" that "back" African Americans.
I find that very hard to believe, with such prolific groups as the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Then several colleges have Black Student Unions (seriously, any college) who's goal is to focus on the cultural, social, and academic needs of African-American students attending host colleges. They seeks to build cultural and community bridges in the general context of the academic environment and host events for Kwanzaa, the Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration, and Black History Month.

Then there's also the African American Planning Commission (AAPC), 100 Black Men of America, National Black Child Development Institute (NBCDI), Rainbow Push Coalition, Black Women In Sisterhood For Action (BISA), and probably many others that I'm missing.

Prove it.
Welfare statistics and demographics. Furthermore, have you ever tried to apply?

Prove it.
Read up on Affirmative Action.

Nous

Premium Member
Because white people don't just get scholarships for being white. Black people do.
(1) False. Those scholarships require academic proficiency--they are not handed out simply because a person is African American.

(2) Those scholarships do not create any system of "Black privilege". Get over it already.

I find that very hard to believe, with such prolific groups as the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Then several colleges have Black Student Unions (seriously, any college) who's goal is to focus on the cultural, social, and academic needs of African-American students attending host colleges. They seeks to build cultural and community bridges in the general context of the academic environment and host events for Kwanzaa, the Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration, and Black History Month.

Then there's also the African American Planning Commission (AAPC), 100 Black Men of America, National Black Child Development Institute (NBCDI), Rainbow Push Coalition, Black Women In Sisterhood For Action (BISA), and probably many others that I'm missing.
None of these organizations create any system where African Americans are the privileged race in the US. That's why your are unable to argue that the US is a country of "Black privilege".

You claimed that African Americans are "more able to receive government assistance." I replied, "Prove it." What year might you do that? Your link doesn't provide any evidence whatsoever that African Americans are "more able to receive government assistance."

I am well familiar with "affirmative action" polices, for both college admission polices and employment policies, primarily through the case law. The Wikipedia article does not even vaguely suggest the existence of employment policies that violate the Court's requirements of strict scrutiny, or that create any system of "Black privilege". The case law on intentional discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, and national origin (note that special treatment for African Americans, which other races are denied, is not included in that list) are City of Richmond v. J.A. Croson Co., Adarand Constructors v. Peña, and Ricci v. DeStefano. The Wikipedia article cites and links to articles on all of these. Did you read them?

One my first OP after joining RF was about "affirmative action" admissions polies: Should the Court Uphold UT’s Race-preferential Admission Policy? Let me know if I left out any important fact on the topic in the OP.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Those scholarships require academic proficiency--they are not handed out simply because a person is African American.
Oh, lookie here; a scholarship with no academic requirements for women who are black, Hispanic, or indigenous American. The only other requirements are being a full-time student (12 hours) and a very vague "contributor to the larger world community through her academic and personal strengths". Reach for the stars and get $6,000 a year. Feel like traveling the world? Here's $2,000 to do so. From a low-income home? Here's $500-$10,000 courtesy of the United Negro College Fund

All of those just for being black. Sure would have been nice to get a scholarship just for being white. You want me to get over it? That'll be $65,000.

None of these organizations create any system where African Americans are the privileged race in the US.
I never said such a thing, so this counter-claim is irrelevant.

Your link doesn't provide any evidence whatsoever that African Americans are "more able to receive government assistance."
16.8% of Welfare recipients are white, where as 39.6% are black. You must be making no more than $1,000 a month, which is odd because when I applied, I was only pulling in $750. I guess I just wasn't trying hard enough, huh? Past the demographics I only have my experiences with the system but I know, it's all "anecdotes". I still challenge to find just how "white privilege" applied to me in that regard, when Kiara is comfortable getting checks from my taxes[URL="http://.

[quote]The Wikipedia article does not even vaguely suggest the existence of employment policies that violate the Court's requirements of strict scrutiny, or that create any system of "Black privilege". The case law on intentional discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, and national origin (note that special treatment for African Americans, which other races are denied, is not included in that list) are [I]City of Richmond v. J.A. Croson Co., Adarand Constructors v. Peña,[/I] and [I]Ricci v. DeStefano.[/I][/quote]
And yet it happens anyways, because employers can - and do - cite better qualifications even if none are present. They get away with it because most people applying for those jobs don't have the money to take them to court over it. "White privilege" has still never helped me get a job, and I still firmly reject it as applicable to my life as a "white" American"].

And yet it happens anyways, because employers can - and do - cite better qualifications even if none are present. They get away with it because most people applying for those jobs don't have the money to take them to court over it. "White privilege" has still never helped me get a job, and I still firmly reject it as applicable to my life as a "white" American.[/url]

Nous

Premium Member
Provide a link. That one goes no where.

So obviously you haven't been able to cite any evidence by which to deduction that "Black privilege" exists in the US, or that any scholarship disadvantages white college applicants in their acceptance rates or white college graduates in the graduation rates. Right?

So what are your complaints about?

16.8% of Welfare recipients are white, where as 39.6% are black.
So, you don't have a speck of evidence by which to conclude that African Americans are "more able to receive government assistance".

If you believe you do know of such evidence, cite it and state that deduction.

And yet it happens anyways
Prove it.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Provide a link. That one goes no where.
Worked just fine for me; must be a problem with your browser.

So obviously you haven't been able to cite any evidence by which to deduction that "Black privilege" exists in the US
I've provided more than has been given for "white privilege". And to be clear, my stance is not one-or-the-other. Privilege is based on wealth, not skin color, yet among the poorer class there are social benefits that blacks can benefit from, just as there are social benefits that "whites" can benefit from. Yet they are not universals; there are black people more "privileged" than me, and white people more privileged than the both of us.

However, while we're on the topic, one can go out into public and call a white person the following: cracker, honkey, white-boy, white trash, etc. The same cannot be done to a black person. All this despite one of the terms for white people (cracker) literally referring to a slave driver, and "The N Word" being a poor derivate of various languages word for black.

Even here in this thread, we're seeing that the mere notion that white people can be the victims of racism and that blacks can be racists is treated as preposterous.

So what are your complaints about?
Quite obvious throughout the thread. The claim of "white privilege" is a stupid premise, more so when it's claimed that it's a set list of benefits that all white Americans enjoy regardless of financial and economic standing. That it does nothing to address deeper social problems, divides our nation further, and is inherently a racist claim itself that unfairly distributes blame and guilt onto people who more often than not have nothing to do with the problem, and are in turn embittered against the social issues that our nation faces. TL;DR, it does far more harm than it helps.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Now I can't really speak of how it is in America, because I don't live there.
But white privilege is still bandied about where I live. So.......bit of context. Not that it should matter but I am mixed race but fairly light on the pigment scale.

So I've kind of got one foot in two completely different races and cultures. I am something of a novelty in both circles ("whitey" thinks I am Mediterranean on first look so I am "exotic." And in the Fiji-Indian community I am the awkward white chick.)

I dunno. White Privilege might exist in certain scenarios, but every group has their own benefits and weaknesses as far as I can tell. I can easily use what I like to call "PC Privilege" to make certain remarks about my own culture that would otherwise get a white person pelted with accusations of racism. I can easily feel comfortable in scenarios where a white person cannot, either due to a language barrier or benign ignorance of various customs. I don't feel like walking on eggshells in conversations like a lot of my white friends seem to do. I'm sure there are others, but I'm too hungover to think of them right now.

I see this white privilege stuff as ultimately divisive and problematic. I see it as some sort of white knighting nonsense. So already I'm a little biased against it as I see it as condescending. I'm sure the intentions are good for the most part. But it just seems to create more barriers to me.

Random example. I went out to a Diwali thingy, it was during the day. I happened to be wearing a Salwar Kameez and unusual for me, I went to the shops still dressed as a Hindustani. (Look they're pretty and all but a lot of their material is uncomfortable. At least for the ladies stuff. I'm sorry but give me board shorts any day.)
Now I'm happily enjoying my Pera on the way to get some milk. Minding my own business. Suddenly I am in a conversation with a very disapproving youth. Normally I'm antisocial as hell but having worked in retail, I have developed a certain in built set of politeness. So I try to politely get past this sudden barrier blocking me on my mission to get my milk. Next thing I know I am being lectured by this padawan hipster about not only my own culture or even my own food but my religion that I was born into. So just like that, from casual Aussie to the ultimately patriotic Indian in a matter of seconds. Lectured right back and threw in some Hindi words for good measure.
Now it takes a lot to rattle me, because I don't care about a lot of things. But this incident in particular ticked me right off for two reasons. Number 1, to try to block someone from a Diwali anything is the very antithesis of Diwali. So my fellow youth not only disrespected me, but insulted the spirit of Diwali. And number 2, I was able to defend myself because I grew up in that culture. I am confident and comfortable with it. But I worry for my white newbie brethren. What they would have felt by encountering such a lecture. To be told off for joining in another culture simply because they are white is sickening to me. It's against the spirit of multiculturalism and just creates barriers when there needn't be.

Now I'm all for programs to help out people of disadvantaged backgrounds achieve in life. But don't tell me that my (albeit minute) success or even lack thereof is because of my skin colour. That's insulting. Yeah, there are ******** in top positions who will abuse their power and harass anyone they are prejudiced against. Be that reflected in racism or sexism or both. But how about some personal responsibility as well? You can either let the haters bring you down or you can prove them wrong in the best possible way. My Indian side of the family came over here and now they're all in affluent neighborhoods. With expensive food, furniture, houses and successful careers. They immigrated from a tiny poor as dirt but very beautiful Island (Fiji.) They had nothing. Less than nothing. Some even fled for their very lives. They didn't just complain about white privilege. They embraced whatever opportunities they could, however small and worked hard. They took it upon themselves to make themselves successful.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"White privilege" is in the news.....
https://pagesix.com/2017/10/14/george-lopez-booed-off-stage-after-trump-jokes-flop-at-gala/

If this account of things is accurate, I wonder if the comic (using the term advisidly) really thought he'd
achieve positive social change with this tired accusation towards old guys (from an old guy himself)?
When "white privilege" becomes a comic's quasi-racist insult to hecklers, we know it's on its last legs.

I've seen his work.
Meh....I'd rather snooze thru a baseball game.