• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Privilege

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I think you're misunderstanding what the term "white privilege" means. It's not a matter of "you're white, so you must 'live a life of privilege';" it's that you have privileges that a non-white person in a similar situation wouldn't have.
Only as demonstrated with my "anecdotes", I do not have these privileges where it can factually be shown one way or the other. Everything else is - all together now - racist assumption.

This doesn't mean that you're living a life of wine and roses
On the contrary; that's exactly what the word "privilege" suggests.

it does mean that women grab their purse a bit tighter less often when you're near than when a black person is near
Then she's a racist moron, and that's on her. It's nothing I benefit from, ergo by definition it's not a privilege. It also doesn't matter much, when more often than not it's assumed that because I'm a man I'm going to rape her.

or that if you're looking for work, you have better odds of getting an interview than someone with a name that "sounds black" to the person reviewing the candidates.
This isn't the 1960's anymore, and affirmative action is a thing. I've actually lost out on a job opportunity to someone who was far less qualified and was black, so preach to another choir.

"White privilege" doesn't mean that you're "privileged"
Then you all need to find a better word, and abandon this moronic contradiction of terms.

it means that most black people who have what you have will have a harder time than most white people who have what you have will have.
For those who actually look around society, this is so far from the case it's not even funny. Me and a black man in the same situation; they get food stamps, I'm told to get a third job. They get to go to college full scholarship just for being black, and I get $64,000 in debt. Oh yeah, but those gods damned band-aids are really doing it for me. Some racist [REDACTED] not thinking I'm going to rob her is sure helping this crippling hole of worry for my financial future in my gut. If I could ever afford to crawl my way halfway across the country again and go to New York because why not, I might be able to get a cab! What privilege I have to be white!

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Why, it's quite obvious. I'm told constantly that I - me, myself - possess some magical social shield called "White Privilege", yet for all the examples given not a one applies to my life at all. Such claimants then fume and fluster that my life is an "anecdote", and that "exceptions to the rule don't nullify the rule". But then the song changes, and it's just the rich and powerful who possess this benefit. Yet I'm still told that I have white privilege, just because I'm white. It's even assumed that I can become rich and powerful as easily as putting on a new shirt.

Ergo, an assumption is made about my life - and to be sure, the lives of many "whites" in the lower class - based on nothing more than our skin color, with no consideration of our social standing and experiences. Overgeneralized racism.
Whoever told you that White Privilege is something that all white people in the US enjoy, they were wrong. Also, it isn't about advantages for whites (I agree the term is misleading). It is about disadvantage for blacks. Because of our history of extreme racial prejudice, disadvantages still linger for black people. Simple as that.

So, do you disagree that certain disadvantages still exist for black people based on their skin color and the history of African Americans? If yes, you believe in white privilege. If not, you aren't looking hard enough.

Where do you live, btw? That is a very important factor.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Whoever told you that White Privilege is something that all white people in the US enjoy, they were wrong.
Pretty much every person who's tried to tell me I have "white privilege".

Also, it isn't about advantages for whites (I agree the term is misleading). It is about disadvantage for blacks.
Which is a huge problem with it; there's no consistency, and by blaming all white people (which it does, by name) it avoids and distracts from the real issues. Instead of dwelling in this constant state of self-victimization, maybe they should look at what they do have - like everyone else in crap situations - rather than trying to make me feel bad about my existence because band-aids match my skin tone.

So, do you disagree that certain disadvantages still exist for black people based on their skin color and the history of African Americans? If yes, you believe in white privilege. If not, you aren't looking hard enough.
How convenient for white privilege. It sounds like a religion at this point; "If you can't see it, you're not trying/believing hard enough". It seems more prudent (and more rational) to just identify the issue as challenges that some blacks face in some areas of the United States. Because make no mistake, these things do not happen everywhere to every single black person in America. And that's half the issue; you're all treating this like a universal phenomenon.

Which, by the way, makes where I live irrelevant. I've lived in a lot of places, even outside the US, so I know first hand how a great many places are.

gnomon

I've never claimed otherwise.
What I point out is that others have their privileges too.
They always fulminate about mine, but they're loath to acknowledge their own.

You needn't convince me that government has targeted minorities, eg, Bill Clinton's crime bill, the War On Drugs.
But sanctimonious SJWs love to carp about my "male privilege", my "white privilege", &
various other privileges. And when hear on NPR (yesterday) that all white people are
racist because we all enjoy this largesse, I wonder....

What on Earth do these self obsessed boneheads hope to achieve with vapid racist accusations?
When will they take responsibility for their own failures, instead of blaming others?
Why do they deny their privileges, eg, preferential treatment under affirmative action?

I won't suffer bigoted hypocrites who want to wallow in victimhood & blame.
If a drug dealer gets too long a prison sentence, my being white didn't cause it.
To whine about my "privilege" doesn't advance positive change.

I understand what you are saying however you should have left out...

"If a drug dealer gets too long a prison sentence, my being white didn't cause it."

Because involvement in the drug trade is pretty much equal among all ethnic groups.

And all your complaining about wailing in victimhood....which is in fact is what this is about due to the criminal justice system, gentrification, etc..

I will say again ...... white privilege exists. And I have to say that all I read in this thread is wailing.....but the SJW's and media mean nothing compared to what is actually going on for minorities in this nation among our criminal justice system, immigration system, housing, hiring, etc.

And there is no they.

There is only the system which has been established.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I understand what you are saying however you should have left out...

"If a drug dealer gets too long a prison sentence, my being white didn't cause it."

Because involvement in the drug trade is pretty much equal among all ethnic groups.

And all your complaining about wailing in victimhood....which is in fact is what this is about due to the criminal justice system, gentrification, etc..
"Gentrification" is just a code word for......
"Whites are move'n back! And the rent is rise'n! Damn hipsters!"
People need to get over the reality of economics, ie,
desirable areas get more expensive & more Starbucks.
I will say again ...... white privilege exists. And I have to say that all I read in this thread is wailing.....but the SJW's and media mean nothing compared to what is actually going on for minorities in this nation among our criminal justice system, immigration system, housing, hiring, etc.

And there is no they.

There is only the system which has been established.
What's the purpose of saying "white privilege exists"?
Is there anyone here unaware that various groups have various privileges?
Does saying it change anything?
Other than making the SJWs feel comforting white guilt....making black
folk feel victimized.....& making sentient beings feel tedium & annoyance?

The criminal injustice system sucks.
The civil injustice system sucks.
Slogans dissing white folk won't fix this problem.

Last edited:

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Pretty much every person who's tried to tell me I have "white privilege".
Well, they were wrong.
Which is a huge problem with it; there's no consistency, and by blaming all white people (which it does, by name) it avoids and distracts from the real issues. Instead of dwelling in this constant state of self-victimization, maybe they should look at what they do have - like everyone else in crap situations - rather than trying to make me feel bad about my existence because band-aids match my skin tone.
There are disadvantages that many black people face due to racial prejudice. Just because they don't apply to all black people and they don't advantage all white people doesn't mean that they shouldn't be addressed. All racial prejudice should be called out, no matter what.
How convenient for white privilege. It sounds like a religion at this point; "If you can't see it, you're not trying/believing hard enough". It seems more prudent (and more rational) to just identify the issue as challenges that some blacks face in some areas of the United States. Because make no mistake, these things do not happen everywhere to every single black person in America. And that's half the issue; you're all treating this like a universal phenomenon.
Actually, I was very clear that it wasn't a universal phenomenon. I can't be held to explain the mistakes of others, but I am not arguing with you about this point. It is not a universal phenomenon.
Which, by the way, makes where I live irrelevant. I've lived in a lot of places, even outside the US, so I know first hand how a great many places are.
Nevertheless, can you tell me where you live? I live in DC.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Well, they were wrong.
So what makes you the right one? Again, this is starkly resembling a religious claim. All previous uses of White Privilege that have been lain at my feet were wrong usages of the illusion, but your version is the right one.

There are disadvantages that many black people face due to racial prejudice. Just because they don't apply to all black people and they don't advantage all white people doesn't mean that they shouldn't be addressed. All racial prejudice should be called out, no matter what.
The problem enters with your last sentence, namely the word "all". Society doesn't want to address racial prejudices against white people, even when those manner of prejudices can and do affect my ability to live comfortably. But I'm white, so I'm automatically assumed to be better off. Prejudices against me are either a) me being insensitive, from a state of so-called "privilege" to b) justified negative bias because of the history of American slavery despite b1) my ancestors being enslaved here as well and b2) the individuals treating me with prejudice having never been slaves, not to mention b3) my family (to record as can be told) never owning slaves ever.

Actually, I was very clear that it wasn't a universal phenomenon.
You specifically may not have, but proponents of white privilege have, and the "phenomenon" itself is intended to be widely reaching. So much so that in attempts to apply this social guilt to me, proponents are reaching to the Band-Aid aisle and (yet to be actually verified) social trends in Korea and China.

Nevertheless, can you tell me where you live? I live in DC.
I don't like giving out where I live, but I've lived near D.C. as well, and "white privilege" didn't help us a bit. In fact, because of our skin color we were harassed and paid more rent than our neighbors.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So what makes you the right one? Again, this is starkly resembling a religious claim. All previous uses of White Privilege that have been lain at my feet were wrong usages of the illusion, but your version is the right one.

The problem enters with your last sentence, namely the word "all". Society doesn't want to address racial prejudices against white people, even when those manner of prejudices can and do affect my ability to live comfortably. But I'm white, so I'm automatically assumed to be better off. Prejudices against me are either a) me being insensitive, from a state of so-called "privilege" to b) justified negative bias because of the history of American slavery despite b1) my ancestors being enslaved here as well and b2) the individuals treating me with prejudice having never been slaves, not to mention b3) my family (to record as can be told) never owning slaves ever.

You specifically may not have, but proponents of white privilege have, and the "phenomenon" itself is intended to be widely reaching. So much so that in attempts to apply this social guilt to me, proponents are reaching to the Band-Aid aisle and (yet to be actually verified) social trends in Korea and China.

I don't like giving out where I live, but I've lived near D.C. as well, and "white privilege" didn't help us a bit. In fact, because of our skin color we were harassed and paid more rent than our neighbors.
Your problems don't matter.
The cry of "White privilege!" renders them all insignificant.
And any discussion ends.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The right one? Well, I think my understanding makes more sense than those that claim it is necessarily a universal problem in the United States. We agree that their definition is wrong, so there is no debate to be had there. But, we can debate whether you think that "white privilege", as I am defining it, exists in the United States. Are you willing to do that?
No one is blaming you or any other white person today for slavery. The fact of the matter is that slavery, racism, segregation, Jim Crow era laws, and many in the south having their voting rights denied, eventually forcing the National Guard to come and protect those rights all have played a part in our black population (overall ... again, it isn't a perfect science, as there are always exceptions to everything) having a history of being disadvantaged which affected future generations including now. I agree that blaming anyone today for racism is ludicrous. But, the fact that equality for black people, even legally speaking, is still a pretty new thing is a major consideration for this issue.

But, I do agree that racism against white people does exist and is not acceptable. A bit more understandable because of our country's history ... yes. But, it should always be challenged nonetheless. Remember, the civil rights movement was really not that long ago and, even today, there are many people (especially in the southern states) that hold resentments about it. There are a growing number of White Nationalists who advocate for the separation of races and white superiority when it comes to political offices. There are even those who think that African Americans, Jews, Hispanics, and other minorities aren't welcome in our country because they ignorantly believe it is a white nation.

But, all in all, racism of all kinds should be challenged.
What do you mean by "proponents reaching to the band-aid aisle and social trends in Korea and China?
Well, you should always stick up for yourself when it comes to injustice like this. But, how did you know it was based on your skin color? Could it have been anything else? Also, DC is a pretty liberal place, so it doesn't really "stack up" to the southern states ... even Northern VA.

Nous

Premium Member
Just to note another very important example of white privilege in the US:

A job applicant with a name that sounds like it might belong to an African-American - say, Lakisha Washington or Jamal Jones - can find it harder to get a job. Despite laws against discrimination, affirmative action, a degree of employer enlightenment, and the desire by some businesses to enhance profits by hiring those most qualified regardless of race, African-Americans are twice as likely as whites to be unemployed and they earn nearly 25 percent less when they are employed.

Now a "field experiment" by NBER Faculty Research Fellows Marianne Bertrand and Sendhil Mullainathan measures this discrimination in a novel way. In response to help-wanted ads in Chicago and Boston newspapers, they sent resumes with either African-American- or white-sounding names and then measured the number of callbacks each resume received for interviews. Thus, they experimentally manipulated perception of race via the name on the resume. Half of the applicants were assigned African-American names that are "remarkably common" in the black population, the other half white sounding names, such as Emily Walsh or Greg Baker.

[. . .]

The results indicate large racial differences in callback rates to a phone line with a voice mailbox attached and a message recorded by someone of the appropriate race and gender. Job applicants with white names needed to send about 10 resumes to get one callback; those with African-American names needed to send around 15 resumes to get one callback. This would suggest either employer prejudice or employer perception that race signals lower productivity.

The 50 percent gap in callback rates is statistically very significant, Bertrand and Mullainathan note in Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination (NBER Working Paper No. 9873). It indicates that a white name yields as many more callbacks as an additional eight years of experience.
Employers' Replies to Racial Names

It's just absurd to claim that white privilege does not exist in the US.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Has anyone here actually claimed there is no such thing?

Anyway, "white privilege" is not the problem with your example of racial discrimination.
Specifically, being white isn't the problem....it's that there is discrimination.
So instead or dissing all white people, thereby making all black people victims,
tis better to address wrongful discrimination wherever it is to be found.
Then one finds real perpetrators, & real victims. The situation can be directly addressed.

This beats vapid sloganeering, eh.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
We agree that their definition is wrong, so there is no debate to be had there. But, we can debate whether you think that "white privilege", as I am defining it, exists in the United States. Are you willing to do that?
From what you've conveyed, I would not say that "white privilege" exists even as you define it. A word already exists for what you're describing, and it works just fine when people don't over-use it: racism.

No one is blaming you or any other white person today for slavery.
News to me, because apparently by vice of being white, my ancestors are responsible for slavery and I - as their descendant - should feel bad about it and do all I can to kiss *** to everyone with a chip on their shoulder.

But, the fact that equality for black people, even legally speaking, is still a pretty new thing is a major consideration for this issue.
I don't think it is a major consideration, namely because it's already happened. We have equality, and harping on it is living in the 1960's. Racism will still happen, but the law is clear on matters of equality and social justice.

But, I do agree that racism against white people does exist and is not acceptable. A bit more understandable because of our country's history ... yes.
No, it's not understandable; that's excusing racism and it's just as wrong. Some 17 year old kid has never experienced the "racist history" of our nation, and has no justification for being racist any more than some redneck who was "just raised that way." There is never a valid excuse or understandable circumstance for racism.

What do you mean by "proponents reaching to the band-aid aisle and social trends in Korea and China?
Read several examples in this thread of "white privilege" including band-aids supposedly matching white skin tones, and Korea and Chinese girls allegedly getting eye surgery to look "more white".

Well, you should always stick up for yourself when it comes to injustice like this. But, how did you know it was based on your skin color? Could it have been anything else?
No, it couldn't have been. In a series of duplexes, there is no reason that Unit A should be half as much more than Unit B just because a white family lives there.

Also, DC is a pretty liberal place, so it doesn't really "stack up" to the southern states ... even Northern VA.
I would say that it does not match the southern states. It was/is horrible in it's own right that stacks up quite comparably to the southern states.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
From what you've conveyed, I would not say that "white privilege" exists even as you define it. A word already exists for what you're describing, and it works just fine when people don't over-use it: racism.
The term "racism" doesn't describe what I'm talking about. It isn't about racism, per se. It's about what is comfortable for those in charge, whether it be the police, the government, or employers.
News to me, because apparently by vice of being white, my ancestors are responsible for slavery and I - as their descendant - should feel bad about it and do all I can to kiss *** to everyone with a chip on their shoulder.
I agree. That is ridiculous.
I don't think it is a major consideration, namely because it's already happened. We have equality, and harping on it is living in the 1960's. Racism will still happen, but the law is clear on matters of equality and social justice.
It's a major consideration because things don't change instantly when the law does. Many cops took a very long time to enforce the law. Many judges refused to enforce the law. Just look at voting rights. Blacks legally had the right to vote for decades before they were actually permitted to vote in certain states in the south. Things have gotten better, but we aren't at equality yet.
Read several examples in this thread of "white privilege" including band-aids supposedly matching white skin tones, and Korea and Chinese girls allegedly getting eye surgery to look "more white".
Agreed. Those are ludicrous examples.
No, it couldn't have been. In a series of duplexes, there is no reason that Unit A should be half as much more than Unit B just because a white family lives there.
So, it is just speculation. No one told you it was because you were white, right?
I would say that it does not match the southern states. It was/is horrible in it's own right that stacks up quite comparably to the southern states.
Why do you think it's "horrible"?

jonathan180iq

As a white male that lives in the South, denying "white privilege" is about as stupid as pretending that "The Patriatchy" is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese to bankrupt American industry.

Nous

Premium Member
Has anyone here actually claimed there is no such thing?
Here
The conclusion I arrive at is that "white privilege" doesn't exist

Anyway, "white privilege" is not the problem with your example of racial discrimination. Specifically, being white isn't the problem....it's that there is discrimination.
White privilege is the effect of the discrimination where white people get more call-backs on equivalent resumes as those identified as belonging to an African American.
So instead or dissing all white people
Quote where I "dissed all white people".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is such a claim common?
White privilege is the effect of the discrimination where white people get more call-backs on equivalent resumes as those identified as belonging to an African American.
It reminds me of the old cup description....is it half empty or half full?

What you see is whites getting a general unfair advantage.
What I see is that specific black persons endure unjust discrimination.
Discrimination is something readily addressed.
Telling all white folk they have "privilege" accomplishes nothing.
Quote where I "dissed all white people".
It is inherent in how the term, "white privilege", is generally used,
often to paint all white people as "racist" because they have it.
So say NPR guests.