• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Privilege

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Well, we do have an MLK holiday now. Actually, that was decided in 1992, after the debacle in 1990 when there were two separate ballot propositions on the same issue. That confused the voters. But for whatever it's worth, Arizona is the only state to have the MLK holiday declared by popular referendum. No other state can make that claim.

I just have the AZ flag because I think it's a cool flag. No political statement, but at least it identifies where I'm from.

Oh ok but sadly that MLK has to be voted I mean the man was an egalitarian. But I remember in Tucson racism was blatant. I was a kid in L.A. and I remember in grade school instead of my name I was called an N word. I hope it changed.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Geeze, pretty crappy to criticize and demean someone for having pride in their roots and their native soil.

Stop playing victim...You take pride in your demographic taking advantage of government assistance something your ingroup accuse minorities of doing? I can go all day with this.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
No because I'm not trying to hear the "My wife couldn't get assistance" crap.
Clearly you are reading what you want, and missed the "and I" bit of that. If you "know how the process works" then you should know that a married couple is treated as a single unit.

You can get assistance.
I guess we're just not trying hard enough, or maybe we didn't find the right office to cash in our "We're White People (Kind of) Give Us Our Privilege" cards. Plough that.

Then he mentions affirmative action in which white women benefit from the most plus
And yet you didn't actually touch upon anything that I said from Post #123, you just latched onto the "white women profit from it more" strawman.

government assistance in which white people take advantage
By 1%. Your study that you gave showed that half of poor whites without degrees received government aid, and that they benefited "more than" blacks of the same disposition by only 1%. Your argument is nonsensical crap.

Do you know the definition of racism?
Quite well. And you're dismissively addressing people based on the color of their skin, asking someone if they're white before you attempt to rip into them and disprove their suffering. As per the definition, you are treating people unfairly based upon the color of their skin, racial slurs or no.

Like I said your story is full of sh*t
I don't need your validation to know what I live every day, thanks.

Again don't lie about something that has data behind it.
To hell with data that is irrelevant to my situation, and I'm pretty sure by the rules of the forum that you agreed to, calling others liars is considered a personal attack.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Lots of other factors too like how personable one is in an interview. When I hire folks skin tone is never a factor but personality is.
When you think of privilege as Sunstone explained, your example of hiring interviews is where it can be said there is an extrovert-privilege. Introverts tend to not get jobs like extroverts, and some estimate that a sizeable percentage of the chronically under-and-unemployed fall somewhere on the Autism spectrum. We're very capable, but it's harder for us to make the impressions that get jobs.
One such aspect of white privilege is the fact people never point out when a white person is well articulated. But, of course it doesn't equally apply to all white people, as there is a privilege in being "accent neutral" and people will assume those from southern states talk like "hicks" and may be surprised if someone from Oklahoma is well articulated. A black person is more likely to be looked upon with suspicion is a store, but depending on attire a white person can draw the same attention.
Think of it more as a way of describing the crap you probably don't have to deal with because you're white, the assumptions that aren't made about you, and the micro-aggressions made against you. But it extents to many more facets of life, such as, we can definitely say there is a theist privilege in society, and it isn't assumed those who believe in god are immoral heathens living a depressed and purposeless life like those who don't believe get to hear all about, quite often.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Stop playing victim...You take pride in your demographic taking advantage of government assistance something your ingroup accuse minorities of doing? I can go all day with this.
Again, your sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

Oh, but taking advantage of the system? 'Kay, we can play that game too.

"Are you employed?"
"No."
"How do you feel about that?"
"I'm comfortable with it, and I feel like I don't need to look for one because I get a check from the government every month."

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Clearly you are reading what you want, and missed the "and I" bit of that. If you "know how the process works" then you should know that a married couple is treated as a single unit.

I guess we're just not trying hard enough, or maybe we didn't find the right office to cash in our "We're White People (Kind of) Give Us Our Privilege" cards. Plough that.

And yet you didn't actually touch upon anything that I said from Post #123, you just latched onto the "white women profit from it more" strawman.

By 1%. Your study that you gave showed that half of poor whites without degrees received government aid, and that they benefited "more than" blacks of the same disposition by only 1%. Your argument is nonsensical crap.

Quite well. And you're dismissively addressing people based on the color of their skin, asking someone if they're white before you attempt to rip into them and disprove their suffering. As per the definition, you are treating people unfairly based upon the color of their skin, racial slurs or no.

I don't need your validation to know what I live every day, thanks.

To hell with data that is irrelevant to my situation, and I'm pretty sure by the rules of the forum that you agreed to, calling others liars is considered a personal attack.

I got assistance and I was single....I had a car and the government office saw that as income I can benefit from hence I did nt qualify for GR. So again I doubt you were completely rejected.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Again, your sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

Oh, but taking advantage of the system? 'Kay, we can play that game too.

"Are you employed?"
"No."
"How do you feel about that?"
"I'm comfortable with it, and I feel like I don't need to look for one because I get a check from the government every month."

Ok let me rephrase...Some white folks blame minorities for taking advantage of the system when reality more whites take advantage of the system which is statistically proven. But again I doubt you're an outlier. I had to share your story with my co-worker who was on welfare (he had a wife at the time to) and even he thinks you're full of sh*t....Dude stop making stuff up.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Some white folks blame minorities for taking advantage of the system when reality more whites take advantage of the system which is statistically proven.
And yet none of the links that you gave showed that. Not a one.

I had to share your story with my co-worker who was on welfare (he had a wife at the time to) and even he thinks you're full of sh*t....Dude stop making stuff up.
Oh, well if your co-worker thinks I'm a liar too, then that must mean there's two people who I don't need to validate my reality to.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Showed a link how white women benefit more from affirmative action than anyone else. Showed another link on how whites take advantage of government assistance. Dude you are just in denial that your ingroup benefits more than anyone else.....Keep your head in the sand if you want.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No because I'm not trying to hear the "My wife couldn't get assistance" crap. I was on government assistance I know how the process works. You can get assistance. Then he mentions affirmative action in which white women benefit from the most plus (here is the key phrase) government assistance in which white people take advantage yet you chime in in which his and my exchange had nothing to do with you hence my reaction to you.
I often "chime in" when posters become abusive,
even doing this when white posters misbehave.
So you're nothing special.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Of which I am aware. But EBM is acting as though it's only white people taking advantage.
No, he's saying we make up the majority of those that do (very big difference between that and "only"), and he did provide links to support his claims. Myself, I can play tit-for-tat where I know white and black people who have or are taking advantage of the system. Really, it's more an issue of things such as environment and immediate circumstances, family upbringing, and personal integrity that are better predictors of such things than race. And there is also potentially a degree of ration-self interests (or necessary family needs) to carefully play the system because a job may mean your family goes without eating the job pays x-per hour and gives at least y-hours.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Of which I am aware. But EBM is acting as though it's only white people taking advantage.
Guess what? Lots of white people take advantage of the system.
That's the thing...."privilege" is something everyone has.
It'll differ somewhat with race, gender, height, attractiveness, accent, etc.
Everyone gets theirs. So when one group obsesses over the "privilege"
of another, yet is blind to their own....expect eyes to roll.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
No, he's saying we make up the majority of those that do (very big difference between that and "only"), and he did provide links to support his claims. Myself, I can play tit-for-tat where I know white and black people who have or are taking advantage of the system. Really, it's more an issue of things such as environment and immediate circumstances, family upbringing, and personal integrity that are better predictors of such things than race. And there is also potentially a degree of ration-self interests (or necessary family needs) to carefully play the system because a job may mean your family goes without eating the job pays x-per hour and gives at least y-hours.

I sm not one to say nobody should get government assistance. Hell, when I eel my fafsa I am getting government assistance via student loans. What I am saying which you've already cleared is that often times in social media and outside the net, minorities are often ridiculed for being on government assistance.

The problem I have with Ragin's story is it does not add up. If you have no job you collect unemployment or if you are part-time minimum wage (I believe). If you have kids and are below the poverty line you quality for SNAP and other benefits like EBT etc.

But if you are working two jobs each yes the government will look at that as sustainable income. That is why I brought up my car when I was laid off. I didn't qualify for GR because my vehicle was seen as a valued asset to attain income (as in I could sell my vehicle and ride the stupid bus...yeah right).

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
When you think of privilege as Sunstone explained, your example of hiring interviews is where it can be said there is an extrovert-privilege. Introverts tend to not get jobs like extroverts, and some estimate that a sizeable percentage of the chronically under-and-unemployed fall somewhere on the Autism spectrum. We're very capable, but it's harder for us to make the impressions that get jobs.
One such aspect of white privilege is the fact people never point out when a white person is well articulated. But, of course it doesn't equally apply to all white people, as there is a privilege in being "accent neutral" and people will assume those from southern states talk like "hicks" and may be surprised if someone from Oklahoma is well articulated. A black person is more likely to be looked upon with suspicion is a store, but depending on attire a white person can draw the same attention.
Think of it more as a way of describing the crap you probably don't have to deal with because you're white, the assumptions that aren't made about you, and the micro-aggressions made against you. But it extents to many more facets of life, such as, we can definitely say there is a theist privilege in society, and it isn't assumed those who believe in god are immoral heathens living a depressed and purposeless life like those who don't believe get to hear all about, quite often.

I'm seeing it as success privilege. Europeans were successful historically in their endeavors, for better or worse. Because of that there is an assumption of success associated with lighter skin tones. This is true in Asia too were lighter skin is associated with prosperity. This is why skin lightening products are big in Asia.

It's kind of natural to want to be associated with success. Unfortunately darker skin folks can't rely on skin tone for that association, historically.

As they become successful that should change.