• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Privilege

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Showed a link how white women benefit more from affirmative action than anyone else.
And in my original mentioning of affirmative action, it was in regards to scholarships that blacks can get just for being black, rather than saying that AA is something that only blacks benefit from. I even listed several of those scholarships. Do you deny that these are made available?

Showed another link on how whites take advantage of government assistance.
No such data was given in your link. In fact, throughout that whole article the word "advantage" was not used once. It showed the percentages of demographics that benefit from government assistance. Here, let me just post that chart:

"Without the government programs, 24 percent of whites were poor, compared to 43 percent of blacks and 36 percent of Hispanics. After the programs, 13 percent of whites were poor, compared to 24 percent of blacks and 26 percent of Hispanics."

imrs.jpg

The article was pointing out that many of Trump's voter base (working class whites) would be affected by his change of government assistance policies.

"Working-class whites drawn to President Trump’s campaign may be particularly hard hit by the policies of the Trump administration and congressional Republicans, Shapiro said, including the push to dismantle President Obama's health-care reform law and changing the way food stamps and other programs for the poor are administered. The safety net appears to be even more critical, he said, in states with a large share of working-class whites, including the previously blue states of Wisconsin, Iowa and Ohio that flipped to Trump in 2016."

Did you even read your own links?

The problem I have with Ragin's story is it does not add up ... if you are working two jobs each yes the government will look at that as sustainable income.
Well one thing that would help is if you actually read what was being said. I clearly stated that we picked up a fourth job because we were denied.

Do you know how the system works? You claim to but I'll just inform you anyways. When you submit an application for food stamps (or any government assistance) total household monthly income is taken. Then, if you are considered eligible for aid, they take into consideration bills and expenses that you need to pay, and what you actually have left to work with for the rest of the month for food. Not before, after. I'm sure I don't need to tell you, the system is broken.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's part of success, you get to write your own version of history.
We wrote our history, and it largely and mostly omits the history of others. The history of India, Asia, and Africa, our history lessons really only mention them when it is directly related to the Amero-Eurocentric history we are taught.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We wrote our history, and it largely and mostly omits the history of others. The history of India, Asia, and Africa, our history lessons really only mention them when it is directly related to the Amero-Eurocentric history we are taught.

If these other cultures were successful in the place of the European culture was successful it would be their history of success we'd be learning. Whatever that culture was would have the aura of success.

As another culture steps up and succeeds they will take on the mantle of success. Skin tone is more or less happenstance in this.

It's already kind of changing, as darker skin tone folks become more successful in entertainment and sports. Skin color has nothing to do with success, but it's something that is easily identified. So the perceptive association is there.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If these other cultures were successful in the place of the European culture was successful it would be their history of success we'd be learning.
We learn really nothing of Asian cultures (China especially made tons of advances, discoveries, and inventions, but to us "whities" Johan Gutenberg invented the printing press), but they were successful in many areas. India has been successful in many areas, but to us their history begins and ends with Gandhi (who upset British colonial rule). Australia has had successes, but we don't learn of their history, other than Europe originally used it as a penal colony. And, ultimately, our species came from Africa but all we learn of African history is that America took slaves from that continent.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We learn really nothing of Asian cultures (China especially made tons of advances, discoveries, and inventions, but to us "whities" Johan Gutenberg invented the printing press), but they were successful in many areas. India has been successful in many areas, but to us their history begins and ends with Gandhi (who upset British colonial rule). Australia has had successes, but we don't learn of their history, other than Europe originally used it as a penal colony. And, ultimately, our species came from Africa but all we learn of African history is that America took slaves from that continent.

Historically the europeans "conquered" these other cultures. This was all that was necessary to provide this perception of success. Military might.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Actually, Gutenberg's big contribution was movable type.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Sorry, I'm kind of responding in half thoughts. I'm not justifying white privilege, I'm trying to understand what caused it.

Maybe if you have a better theory about why white privilege is a thing.

My experience with white privilege is that other cultures are more respectful of me as a white european than they are of their own people.

Like the european culture becomes the standard of success. So folks either naturally respect it I suppose or want to imitate it.

Other folks see there's something special about having white skin. I understand there's some white folks that do feel this way but that's not me or the people I associate with.

So why do they see something special about being white? I don't know but it's more a theory about the success of white europeans.

Europeans simply defeated these other cultures in "recent" history is all I can attribute it to at this point.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Historically the europeans "conquered" these other cultures. This was all that was necessary to provide this perception of success. Military might.
If that were the case we'd know everything there was to know about the Norse (but we think the vikings wore helmets with horns), Julius Caesar, and Alexander the Great. And, we'd also learn a lot more about the Mongolian conquests, the rise and fall of the Han, and the rule of the Shogunate.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Actually, Gutenberg's biggest contribution was movable type.

Sure europeans came up with some good inventions but I don't think it is simply some cool invention. It's who rules. Who sets the standards.

If the Native Americans beat the crap out of the Europeans, I'm sure they'd be setting the standards in the Americas. Folks want to imitate success.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If that were the case we'd know everything there was to know about the Norse (but we think the vikings wore helmets with horns), Julius Caesar, and Alexander the Great. And, we'd also learn a lot more about the Mongolian conquests, the rise and fall of the Han, and the rule of the Shogunate.

I'm thinking more recent in history. I don't expect "white privilege" to last. Maybe the Indian people will conquer the world economically or something. Then other cultures will feel pressure to imitate them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Maybe if you have a better theory about why white privilege is a thing.
It basically started when (I don't remember her name) put a label onto the concept that women have to deal with a lot of crap and are expected to do many things (such as beauty standards) that do not apply to men. Then it was expanded to race, because when you're white you don't generally don't have to deal with the things that racial minorities do, and are in a position of social power/ranking above the others. It has sense expanded to describe the various advantages enjoyed by groups who are in power. It's why I brought up the idea of a theist privilege, because last study I read showed that atheists are among the least trusted and least electable groups in America, one study revealed that atheists often do not get the same level of medical care that theists do, and it's often assumed that atheists (or non-theists in general) aren't moral people and they live depressing lives without purpose or meaning.
What the idea of privilege was never meant to do was imply guilt, shame, attack, ridicule, or dump fault, blame, and responsibility at the feet of the privileged group. Rather, it was intended to help those in power realize their privileges in society, and work towards making things more equitable. Of course a 100% equitable society and people can't exist, but we can work to reduce stereotypes, overly demanding expectations, and unfairly demonizing people. Rather than focusing on the negative things, like micro-aggressions and who they effect, it brings to light the benefits of belonging to certain groups, such as being white, male, or theist (generally the most privileged group in America).

gnomon

I've actually been reading a few studies that there's a hominid jaw from Eurasia that pre-dates fossils found in Africa. Can't say why it's been largely ignored other than the assumption that it's being ignored to preserve the "African Cradle" hypothesis.

I cannot read a post that reduces an actual important discussion such as yours to utter stupidity.

You read some bull**** studies about a jaw.......

That has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Thus reducing this thread to an absolute joke that others wanted.

What a ****ing waste of a thread.

edit: But I'm guilty as well as providing a pass to idiots on this topic.

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I cannot read a post that reduces an actual important discussion such as yours to utter stupidity.

You read some bull**** studies about a jaw.......

That has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Thus reducing this thread to an absolute joke that others wanted.

What a ****ing waste of a thread.

edit: But I'm guilty as well as providing a pass to idiots on this topic.
Then don't read it. Put me on ignore, out just pass it by. But yet here you are, going even more "off topic" to swoop in and insult me. Bravo.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member

gnomon

Then don't read it. Put me on ignore, out just pass it by. But yet here you are, going even more "off topic" to swoop in and insult me. Bravo.

Off topic.........that's funny.

Funny....I thought the issue was about white privilege which myself and others pointed out specifically involved the legal system in this nation.......

But you are talking about a ****ing jaw.

Woo.......hoo....

Ragin Pagan and a ****ing jaw.......that is definitely on topic in regards to the prison industrial complex, white privilege and the current drug enforcement system......tell us all about that ****ing jaw!

Let's stay on topic about a ****ing nonsense jaw!

Never mind all that nonsense about white privilege, cultural concepts....yada...yada...yada....might as well be revolting.

edit: I don't ignore anyone. It's more fun that way. Love ya anyway. Seriously. I'm an ******* by nature but love ya anyway.