• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religions do / do not have any decrees on / against masturbation?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Without judgment, I would like to create a bit of a map, so I might be able to figure out some potential correlations.

If you take Islam as decreed in the "Qur'an", there is none. If it's Qur'an and Sunnah, there is no Sunnah against masterbation. But there are some people who have made claims about masterbation being bad. So there are some who worship people, so according to them, there are decrees against masterbation.

The traditional Islamic "decree" on masterbation is that it's allowed. Some particular groups have arbitrarily disagreed using some narrations muslims generally call mawdooa and mathrook. That means weak and singular delivery of tradition.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Mine has a creation myth, one of a few, that includes God making the world through masturbation. My avatar is a personification of the hand He uses in the act as a Goddess.

Pharaoh would periodically masturbate into the Nile for fertility reasons.

Oh I have read about this. Is it Reatum? How interesting.

I always had thought you were Jewish.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
There is no masturbation in paganism. Because masturbation is stupid.
Well it might be so if it becomes an uncontrollable habit, but as a 10-year-old on first discovering such, it was more than natural - pleasurable enough not to resist and having no commandments not to, why would I desist? :oops:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The history of the world’s religions is one of significant strife: Protestants and Catholics in deadly battle; Shiites and Sunnis at long-lasting war; Christians and Muslims in constant conflict; Christians and Muslims persecuting Jews; Hindus, Jews, and Buddhists oppressing Muslims; Muslims persecuting Bahais and Copts; and so on.

And yet, amidst all this discord, there is one thing that the world’s major religions do seem to agree on: masturbation. A large number of major religions have long declared it to be bad, immoral, sinful, and injurious.

Touching yourself to produce sexual pleasure, according to many religious doctrines, is harmful—both spiritually and physically. John Wesley, the founder of Methodist Christianity, preached that masturbation caused nervous disorders and madness. Ellen Gould White, the founder of Seventh Day Adventism, disparaged masturbation as “vice.” The Catholic Church currently castigates masturbation as “an intrinsically and gravely disordered action.” Jehovah’s Witnesses teach that masturbation is a "form of uncleanness” that can be " mentally corrupting.” Among the Mormons, Jains, Sikhs, Orthodox Jews, Buddhist monks, and most schools of Islam, sexual self-pleasure is strictly forbidden.

While the world’s religions may appear to be of one mind about masturbation, it is likely a dramatically mistaken mind. According to the personal experiences of billions of people, as well as the empirical findings of science, masturbation is actually not bad for you. It is, in fact, rather good for you.
What Religion Gets Wrong About Masturbation

Brian2

Veteran Member
off topic, but have you heard of death cases caused by mastrubation?
some people just can't control them self. :D

I have heard the excessive masturbation in adolescence can lead to schizophrenia due to excessive loss of zinc from the body.
I don't know if this is knowledge came about through scientific study however.

syo

Well it might be so if it becomes an uncontrollable habit, but as a 10-year-old on first discovering such, it was more than natural - pleasurable enough not to resist and having no commandments not to, why would I desist? :oops:
I still find it stupid. Total waste of time.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I've used masturbation in witchcraft. Im not well versed in using sexual energy in witchcraft tho sex magic isn't my thing. But in my practice as a follower of paganism and as a follower of demonolatry and as someone who is a syncreticist and mixes luciferianism in my practice it's not a bad thing. It can even be considered sacred. Some folk who worship Lilith one of my deities have used their orgasms as offerings to her even.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I would not use the mail for toilet paper it has a fake news and over sensationalism reputation. Even Wikipedia will not accept it as a reference source.

That said. Yes people can die from doing stupid, dangerous, excessive things to gain pleasure but masturbation itself is not a killer.

If I'm wrong on that I'll come back later to edit my post.
Then there's David Carradine..

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
I would not use the mail for toilet paper it has a fake news and over sensationalism reputation. Even Wikipedia will not accept it as a reference source.
This is not mail specific news, I picked it out randomly from google results, you can also search german news if you prefer and translate:
Selbstbefriedigung: Jedes Jahr sterben bis zu 100 Menschen beim Masturbieren - DER SPIEGEL

That said. Yes people can die from doing stupid, dangerous, excessive things to gain pleasure but masturbation itself is not a killer.
What rubbish! There is quite a large difference between masturbation and stupidity. Those 100 Germans might be worthy of Darwin Awards, but they are hardly representative of ordinary people engaging in a little self-pleasuring.
Heroin is also not killer but people seek pleasure aka. "golden shot", this is similar to golden shot, an ultimate orgasm lol :D

Back in the day, they used to warn us that we would go blind, but I had no idea it was so deadly.
That's a pretty cheesy way to go.

+
@Brian2
@Secret Chief

Here is similar case that is not cause of stupidity:
'Right-handed man' almost masturbates to death: case study (nypost.com)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
@paradox

'Right-handed man' almost masturbates to death: case study (nypost.com)

From stroke. Not masturbation although apparently he was masturbating when he had the stroke.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Most ancient Stoics seemed fairly ambivalent on the topic and it isn't something they generally discussed in detail.

Some of the later Stoics saw masturbation as a symptom of hedonism and poor self-restraint, both of which are things that Stoicism in general teaches against.

The act in and of itself is not condemned, but it might be regarded as a sign that someone has not fully internalized Stoic teachings on asceticism and discipline.

This was also something that Stoics were meant to judge themselves on in order to better achieve a calm, peaceful state of mind undisturbed by the external world or bodily cravings (not just lust, but also hunger, thirst, etc.) So the condemnation is mostly a guideline for those who wish to achieve that particular state, not a judgment of those who masturbate.

vijeno

Some of the later Stoics saw masturbation as a symptom of hedonism and poor self-restraint, both of which are things that Stoicism in general teaches against.

The act in and of itself is not condemned, but it might be regarded as a sign that someone has not fully internalized Stoic teachings on asceticism and discipline.

Ah, that is very interesting, thanks a lot. In my own little crossover world of stoicism, tantra, buddhism and bdsm, with a touch of nofap, this makes a whole lot of sense.

I haven't read a lot of ancient stoic scriptures (and so many are lost!), but from what I gathered, it seems to me like they were rather sparse on detailed instructions, and rather preferred to outline the ideas and principles. Did they ever outright condemn any act, in and of itself?