• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Religions Are Not An Escape From Reality?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Personal hygiene is independent from Revoltifarianism.....tis a personal choice....like boxers or briefs.

Can a Revoltifarian go 'commando'? (neither boxers nor briefs).
Do Revoltifarians have a high moral code, like not kissing girls on dates at the cinema, or not peeing in bushes at parks etc?
Do Revoltifarians have to have sets of every type of spanner? (AF, Whitworth, metric etc?)
I'm just putting a toe in the water here.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Can a Revoltifarian go 'commando'? (neither boxers nor briefs).
Yes.
But a trigger warning is advised.
Do Revoltifarians have a high moral code, like not kissing girls on dates at the cinema, or not peeing in bushes at parks etc?
Tricky.
A high moral code allows defiling bushes when the call of nature becomes that compelling.
Do Revoltifarians have to have sets of every type of spanner? (AF, Whitworth, metric etc?)
Yes....
SAE, metric, Whitworth, British Standard
But not British Association...I manage to work on instruments using the other sizes.
I'm just putting a toe in the water here.
An acceptable Revoltifarian practice.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Which Religions Are Not An Escape From Reality?

I certainly think my spiritual beliefs are not an escape from reality but a deeper understanding of reality than is to be found in a materialist's view.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do Donald Trump and a child dying of cholera in a third world country live in the same world?

Yep.

They might even live in the same country, depending on your criteria for a country being third world. The Norwegians don't seem to think much of America and American life.

Scott C.

Just one guy
The title says it all.

To the extent that a religion is true, it helps us understand, embrace, and cope with reality. To the extent that it's false, it does the opposite. So all we have to do to answer your question, is decide which religion(s) are true. Hmmm... that should be easy...

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
Would the question not be more useful if phrased "which religions are most concerned with the practical, material world?"

As religion itself is kind of a paradoxical dilemma, as it (insert religion) may or may not be founded in true, historical events and aspects of the scientifically unknown universe.
Another aspect of the paradox, is that even the most absurd of religions (conceptually) may have grounding in real world dealings, philosophy and etc.

Taking the question this way, it is treating religion like a frame and seeing what picture goes inside of it :)

Grandliseur

The title says it all.
I think we all seem to have our own beliefs and do not want to abandon our paradigms unless seriously kicked in the rear.
"Which Religions Are Not An Escape From Reality?" - the one 'I' have of course. 'I' being, you, me, and everybody else.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The title says it all.

I believe it would be Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Baha'i, Sikhism.

I believe Judaism is escaping the reality of Jesus as Messiah.

I believe Pagans are escaping the reality that their gods no longer exist as gods on earth.

I believe one might say that all the other religions are escaping the reality of Christianity but that may not be a major tenet just a result of illogical thinking.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The Internet! Oh wait. TV oh WAIT! SHOPPING oh wait! Politics oh wait..money oh wait...

Oh wait a hike along a mountain trail less traveled. Sorry took me a while. I confused reality with daily actuality of culture for a bit. I might add breathing with conscious awareness that too is not an escape from reality. But that's a rarely practiced one.

I believe people do not really consciously breathe. It is a religious exercise that promotes that.