• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Religions Are Not An Escape From Reality?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Any religion that is more than a source of entertainment would probably fill that bill. For example your Simpson's religion is mostly an escape but comments on social issues, so it never really lets you escape from reality.

David T

Premium Member
The title says it all.
The Internet! Oh wait. TV oh WAIT! SHOPPING oh wait! Politics oh wait..money oh wait...

Oh wait a hike along a mountain trail less traveled. Sorry took me a while. I confused reality with daily actuality of culture for a bit. I might add breathing with conscious awareness that too is not an escape from reality. But that's a rarely practiced one.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Any religion that is more than a source of entertainment would probably fill that bill. For example your Simpson's religion is mostly an escape but comments on social issues, so it never really lets you escape from reality.
Revoltifarianism is....
- Entirely unsatisfying to anyone looking for truth or meaning in life.
- Skeptical of any interpretation of reality.
- Entirely lacking in information about the supernatural.
- All about enjoying life, & allowing others to do the same.
- Encouraging in the purchase of vans for hauling machinery.
- Unrelated to The Simpsons.

Last edited:

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Well Buddhism is supposed to get you to face reality and some versions of Taoism are supposed to simply follow what nature intended. But it is debatable and some approaches to both could be thought of as an escape from reality

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Revoltifarianism is....

and is averse to personal hygiene :D

sorry, but I had to post that, and you had to knew if I saw this thread I would :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well Buddhism is supposed to get you to face reality and some versions of Taoism are supposed to simply follow what nature intended. But it is debatable and some approaches to both could be thought of as an escape from reality
From what I understand of old school Buddhism, it's all about coping with reality.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
and is averse to personal hygiene :D

sorry, but I had to post that, and you had to knew if I saw this thread I would :D
Personal hygiene is independent from Revoltifarianism.....tis a personal choice....like boxers or briefs.

Cherub786

A religion that is practical for the ordinary joe schmo, where spiritual experience isn't reserved for an exclusive class of priests or monks. That is a big problem with Dharmic religions in particular, and also with Catholicism.

On the other extreme there are plenty of religions which virtually don't require anything from their followers and are extremely dry, especially mainstream Protestantism, the Bahai faith, reform and conservative Judaism, Scientology, Confucianism

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Which Religions Are Not An Escape From Reality?

Most anything can be practiced as an escape from reality if one is too careless.

However, some doctrines and practices encourage or even demand that escape to some degree or another.

Individual inclinations also play a role. Some people will retreat from reality in various ways when subject to certain stimuli. Other people might be more resilient to the same stimuli, but not to others.

Still, some general trends present themselves. It seems to me that a religious practice will discourage alienation, denial and psychotic inclinations if it involves frequent return and interaction to the wider world, all the more so if it is practiced in such a way as to train the emotions and the mind to deal with that reality as opposed to avoid it.

That exists in many forms of Christianity and, I assume, Islaam (although I will not be certain at this time, given the barrage of severe disappointments in recent years), even as it is fiercely discouraged by others.

Actually, anyone who takes religion seriously - be it teacher or practicioner - will take pains to assure that connection to the wider world.

Cherub786

Why should there be a wider world? There are many worlds inhabiting the space of this single planet. The dominant world order is corrupt and devouring of others like a wild beast. I follow apocalyptic Religion which is radical and in a state of defiance and protest against the dominant world order. That is the truth for me.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Revoltifarianism is....
- All about enjoying life, & allowing others to do the same.
Any system of belief that does not include a belief in the afterlife is doomed to be abandoned eventually or changed to adopt such belief, Simpsons included. The belief in afterlife invades and corrupts all religions and gradually replaces their moral teachings, and your Simpsons will be no exception. Afterlife is a bribe that always works itself in eventually, better than WD-40. Every religion is doomed to be seduced by it and then made ineffective by it, and we are doomed to always see new ones appear. Yours is no different. Eventually someone will edit out the episodes that seem uncomfortable. Kids will be taught the Simpsons prove there is an afterlife. Sorry about that, Rev.

What you can do if you don't like the idea is, you can take every episode and bury it deep underground in a vault with a machine that will spit up copies every 10,000 years. Don't forget to include DVD players in the vault. Also a generator would probably not be a terrible idea.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Any system of belief that does not include a belief in the afterlife is doomed to be abandoned....
So far, there's only one Revoltifarian.
And afterlife isn't one of his needs.
So it's a very stable lack-of-belief system.
....eventually or changed to adopt such belief, Simpsons included. The belief in afterlife invades and corrupts all religions and gradually replaces their moral teachings, and your Simpsons will be no exception. Afterlife is a bribe that always works itself in eventually, better than WD-40. Every religion is doomed to be seduced by it and then made ineffective by it, and we are doomed to always see new ones appear. Yours is no different. Eventually someone will edit out the episodes that seem uncomfortable. Kids will be taught the Simpsons prove there is an afterlife. Sorry about that, Rev.

What you can do if you don't like the idea is, you can take every episode and bury it deep underground in a vault with a machine that will spit up copies every 10,000 years. Don't forget to include DVD players in the vault. Also a generator would probably not be a terrible idea.
The Simpsonian mythology is quite different from Revoltifarianism.
Ref....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_The_Simpsons
Some highlights....
- Ned Flanders is The Devil.
- God has an extra finger on each hand.
- Ganesha should not be fed a peanut.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why should there be a wider world?

I don't know that there should be one, but there is one and we all are subject to the consequences of that existence.

It is just common sense to acknowledge that fact and react constructively to it if we can.

There are many worlds inhabiting the space of this single planet. The dominant world order is corrupt and devouring of others like a wild beast. I follow apocalyptic Religion which is radical and in a state of defiance and protest against the dominant world order. That is the truth for me.
If you say so.

Cherub786

I don't know that there should be one, but there is one and we all are subject to the consequences of that existence.

It is just common sense to acknowledge that fact and react constructively to it if we can.

If you say so.

Do Donald Trump and a child dying of cholera in a third world country live in the same world?