• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which book has had the most impact on you?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I would say The Wizard of Oz and the Return to Oz but it's a hard call because I also enjoy Aesop's Fables.

The impact on my life is the beauty of imagination.

Earthling

David Henson
Which book other than the Bible has had the most impact on you? Why?

Frank Herbert's Dune, and if I had to choose which of the series I would choose God Emperor Of Dune. Why? They, and especially it, has such an amazingly articulate view, or expression even I would call it, of mankind in a religious, spiritual, political, historical, scientific, linguistic and even agricultural and pharmaceutical context that's just mesmerizing to me.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No one single book, but one of the top, most impactful books on me was The Gay Science, by Frederick Nietzsche. I first began studying it when I was 15, and -- among other things -- it shaped my early views of how to go about thinking.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
The Kama Sutra. Before reading and looking at this book, I was just familiar with a few basic positions. After reading this, as well as looking at this book's pictures; I mastered multiple positions with my wife. The Kama Sutra revitalized our sex lives together and saved our marriage from getting repetitively boring. ...:cool:

Jumi

Some book by Feynman I can't recall name of that pushed my interests towards natural sciences at a time... though I didn't go completely towards them it gave a new appreciation for life. Isaac Asimov was influential also.

Later life got lot easier when I read the Tao T'eh Ching. It was no wonder the book is sometimes said to be the second most translated book ever after the Bible. I think there are tens of translations in English and the same is true for many languages. I think there are multiple in my language too...

Skwim

Veteran Member

TP-WIC.JPG

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The Bible was influential in the community around me, but hardly significant to me directly. If anything, it is a distraction from more relevant texts.

From the books that actually influenced me in a lasting way, I suppose the most significant is Ken Wilber "Integral Psychology". His handling and exposition of Spiral Dynamics and his use of the Holon concept are simple yet very insightful.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As the (ex) proud owner of a library of over 4000 books, there are many that have impacted my life... Being unable to see words until age 14 reading came as an epiphany.

The first book i ever read was "interesting times" by Terry Pratchett and since then anything by the late, great Terry Pratchett is dear to my heart.

Also Iain M Banks (and to a lesser extent Iain Banks) books. I just love "excession" and "the crow road"

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The Kama Sutra. Before reading and looking at this book, I was just familiar with a few basic positions. After reading this, as well as looking at this book's pictures; I mastered multiple positions with my wife. The Kama Sutra revitalized our sex lives together and saved our marriage from getting repetitively boring. ...:cool:

How do you manage the impossible ones? Well hubby and i find them impossible

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I also have a list but overall I have no doubt the Kitab-i-iqan (Book of Certitude) had a profound meaning for me.

9781931847087.jpg

Regards Tony

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
"The Naked Ape" by Desmond Morris, as it helped to solidify my understanding and appreciation for the ToE. I originally came from a fundamentalist Protestant church that taught that evolution was counter to the teaching in Bible, but it wasn't until a bit later and when I had enough of a theological understanding to realize that I had been sold a "bill of goods" that I left that church.