• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where were you on 9-11-01?

idea

Question Everything
Og Mandino
Scroll V:
“I will live this day as if it is my last. Why have I been allowed to live this day, when others, far better than I, have departed? This day is all I have, and these hours are now my eternity. I greet this sunrise with cries of joy as a prisoner who is reprieved from death. I lift my arms with thanks for this priceless gift of a new day.”

I was teaching an electronics lab at CSM, everyone was watching it on their computers. There was tension/shock/anger/fear… diverse school – ROTC + kids from NY + kids from all over the world, including a large Arabic population. I canceled class. One student put up a poster on the side of one of the dorms that read "go home ragheads"... I loved some of the Muslims I taught, beautiful people who didn't drink, swear... My husband and I were invited and celebrated a close of Ramadan feast with them. Those who made it to CSM came from rich oil families, had fancy cars, would drive around blasting Arabic music. Don’t think they were pampered because they were rich though. They came from a hard life, and they went back to that life after school. I think their religion, their prayers, kept them going from day to day, hour to hour. In the same class, yet miles away…

May we all live to see a new day, a better day, the end of this and all wars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSfYmBCzIOo&feature=related

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
I was not in the habit of turning the TV on in the morning before work, but I was considering riding my bicycle to work that day and was curious about the weather. I happened to turn the TV on just a few seconds after the news flashed that a plane had hit the first tower. At that time, they still thought it was a smaller private plane. And no one had mentioned terrorism, yet.

But soon it was confirmed that it was a commercial jet, and then right away most people suspected terrorists. I was shocked, of course, but drove to work, anyway. And when I got there everyone was in the conference room watching the news.

When the first building fell, everyone in the room's hearts sank. We all knew that lots of people were dying. And then the next one fell. People just silently went back to their jobs, because there was nothing more that could happen that would make the disaster worse. And no one knew what to think or say.

We all kept thinking of the families left behind. So many broken hearts.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I was a senior in high school, they had just installed tv's in all the classrooms. We all went to our classes, but we watched the news instead. Because I live less than an hour away from Boston and Logan Airport, I was glad when our Superintendent came on the loudspeaker and said that there was little to no danger of anything happening to us directly. Granted, some parents came to pick up their kids.

A

angellous_evangellous

I was at work, and I remember the numbing confusion of reports.

I heard it was a small plane, then an airliner. I saw the second plane hit, and the buildings come down. I remember the sound of bodies of people jumping out of the buildings splattering on the ground.

And the Pentagon.

And the reports that one plane went down in Pennsylvania. Heros.

God bless the folks that lost loved ones, and the families of soldiers dead and serving.

MSizer

MSizer
I was replacing the pins in a dot-matrix printer when my boss/friend called me to tell me about the first building. I was having trouble understanding him because there were forklifts nearby zipping around and beeping. Interesting isn't it, how we remember such specifics.

idea

Question Everything
from an email: The person writing the story (Cary Sheih) was a Bank of America GCIB associate who was in the World Trade Center during the attack.

--------------------------

Dear All,

Now that I can begin to think clearly again, I would like to take the time to thank each and every one of you for your concern of my well-being. It was a very close call, and I am grateful to be alive.

As you probably all know by now, I narrowly escaped from the World Trade Center attack this past Tuesday, unlike the thousands who are still trapped beneath the rubble. At 8:48am on Tuesday morning, I was reading my email like I do every morning. I had just gotten off the phone with a traffic engineer at the Port Authority regarding a file that I had transmitted to him on the previous day. As I was finishing off my usual peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I heard a loud explosion, which was immediately followed by tremendous building sways and vibrations. As I was thrown out of my chair, I immediately thought that this was an earthquake, but still thinking rationally, I thought that it was abnormal since there are no earthquakes in NYC, especially of this magnitude. I remember thinking that the building felt like it was going to collapse from this initial explosion.

As I picked myself up and ran to the emergency staircase located in the core of the huge building, I saw through the east facing windows debris and fireballs falling from the top of the building. The building had stabilized by the time I reached the stairwell, and evacuation had commenced quickly but calmly. Not knowing the gravity of what was happening above us, people had started pouring into the stairwell from the hallways of the different floors. I saw a coworker from my floor (72nd), and we held and consoled each other.

There were no public announcements in the stairwell, but the evacuation seemed to be going smoothly, there were no more explosions as far as we could tell, no smoke coming up the stairwell, and the building had stopped swaying. We all felt like we were out of imminent danger. As we started to make it down the stairwell, people started chatting and gathering their composures. I heard some people who had been there in '93 telling others that this was a piece of cake since the stairwell was dark and full of smoke in '93. Others were joking about how Mr. Silverstein, who had just recently taken control of the complex, must be fuming at what was happening. A few moments passed and people began to receive messages over their pagers that a 767 had accidentally hit our building. There was no mention of a terrorist attack, and at no time was there any panic. Mobile phones were completely out in the core of the building due to its immenseness and the large distance from the core of the building to the exterior where signals were usually stronger. There was no smoke at all in the stairwell, but there was a strange peculiar smell, which I later remembered it smelling like how it does when one boards an aircraft. I later found out that this was jet fuel.

Soon we heard shouts from the people above us to keep to the right. I started seeing blind people, those with difficulty moving, asthmatics and injured people filing down to our left. People were burned so badly that I won't go into describing it. People kept filing down orderly and calmly, but stunned.

Sometime around the 30th or 40th floor, we passed the first firefighters coming up the stairs. They reassured people that we were safe and that we would all get out fine. By this point, they were already absolutely breathless, but still pushing upward, slowly and unyieldingly, one step at a time. I could only imagine how tired they were, carrying their axes, hoses and heavy outfits and climbing up all those stairs. Young men started offering the firemen to carry up their gear for a few flights, but they all refused. EACH and EVERY ONE of them. As I relive this moment over and over in my mind, I can't help but think that these courageous firemen already knew in their minds that they would not make it out of the building alive and that they didn't not want to endanger any more civilians and prevent one less person from making it to safety on the ground.

We continued down the stairwell, slowly and at times completely stalled. The smell of jet fuel had gotten so unbearable that people began covering their mouths and noses with anything that they could find - ties, shirts, handkerchiefs. Every few floors, emergency crew were passing out water and sodas from the vending machines that they had split open from the hallways. I had no idea how much time had passed by as I didn't have my mobile phone with me. Around the 20th or 15th floor, the emergency crew began diverting the people in our stairwell to a different stairwell. They led us out of our stairwell, across the hallway where I saw exhausted firemen and emergency crew sitting on the floor trying to catch their breaths. I began to think why? What's going on? This whole operation looked very confusing.

Nobody was giving us any indication as to what was going on. The wait in the hallway to get to the other staircase was excruciatingly long as we had to wait and merge with the people who were coming down the staircase into which we were filing. Why had they diverted us? As we started to get down to the lower floors, water started to pour down from behind us. I figured that a water pipe had burst or that it was water coming down from the rescue on the higher floors.

At this moment for the first time since the initial explosion, a sense of panic began to grip me. Only floor 7, then 6. A few more to go, and I would be free. I couldn't wait. It didn't matter that the water was ankle deep. I was a few floors from the ground. Floor ,,,,4,,,,then all of a sudden, a loud boom, and the building began to shake unbearably again. People started falling down the stairwell as smoke started to rise from the bottom. The emergency lights flickered and then went out. The building was still shaking, and I could hear the steel buckling. Rescuers below us shouted for us to go back up the stairs. At this moment, I was choking and shaking tremendously. I managed to climb back up to the 6th or 7th floor and opened the door to that floor. The water had already risen to my ankles, and the floor was completely dark. A fireman led us with his flashlights to another staircase by the voices of another fireman who was guiding him through the darkness. We finally made it across that floor to the other stairwell where we were greeted by the other fireman and told to hold. The look on that fireman's face said it all. He said something under his lips to our fireman indicating the severity of the situation.

With the image of the firemen communicating to each other and hindsight, I believe that the fireman had whispered to the other one that Building Two had collapsed.

After a few minutes of huddling by the stairwell on the 6th floor, we were given the green light to run for our lives. I made it down six flights with a few other people and came out onto the mezzanine level of our building. I don't know what I was expecting to see when I got out of the stairwell, but I was not ready for this apocalyptic scene. It was completely covered in white dust and smoke. My initial reaction was that I couldn't believe that one plane, albeit a 767, 80 floors above our head caused all this damage on the ground floor - inside. I covered my head and ran towards the huge opening in the north side of the building through which we were being evacuated. As I approached this threshold, the firemen yelled to us to get over to the wall of the building quickly. Debris was still raining from all sides of the building. We could see the other firefighters who were outside standing underneath the cantilevered parts of the black immigration building (4 and/or 5 WTC). At their cue, we ran from our building to the outside world and back underneath the immigration building. I was completely disoriented, coughing, and looking at the strange new landscape at the WTC plaza - burning trees, wreckage, fireballs and dust, nothing short of a nuclear winter. I climbed over huge pieces of steel wreckage and made my way through to the skybridge leading to 7 WTC (building 3 to collapse). From there, I descended the escalators down to the street level onto Vesey Street and trotted to safety onto Church Street. I immediately looked back and saw the charred remains of the upper floors of my building. Smoke filled the sky, and I began to have this eerie feeling that WTC 2 was not there. I couldn't be sure because of all the smoke that was billowing from my building blowing eastward. As I was trying to find WTC 2, I saw the unthinkable happen in front of my eyes. WTC 1 began to disintegrate from where it was burning. I turned around and ran.

I later learned that another 767 had hit WTC 2 around the floors where sit in my building. I later learned that WTC 2 had collapsed when we were still inside my building on the fourth floor when it began to shake for a second time. I later learned that I had been spared from the sight of people falling from the higher floors. I am grateful to be alive and uninjured and to be able to share this life-changing experience with you. And, I am so grateful for the courage of the firemen and policemen who gave up their lives to help us down the burning tower.

Sincerely,
Cary Sheih

idea

Question Everything
When my class started, it was in the midst of it. I was trying to tell the prof of the previous class that the 1st building had collapsed, and he did not believe me, thought I was exaggerating. He said -no-no the building will be fine, just a few floors that are messed up... Had to show him what was happening on the internet.

Before coming to teach at CSM, he worked at the Pentagon. He was pretty shook up.

He told me there were worse targets they could have chosen though, much worse, a few places where a plane hitting the right object could have taken out an entire city...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZV2L0EM08I&feature=related

30 ...blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
(Old Testament | Joel2:30)

This prophecy was fulfilled 9-11-01.

Last edited:

Circle_One

I was sitting on campus at my college, having my lunch, when my friend Jen texted me from her apartment in the residence and told me to get my *** to her place, ASAP.

We sat there, watching the news in stunned silence for half an hour before having to head to our Ancient Philosophy class.

Irini, our teacher, had acquired a TV for the class that day and we sat for most of the class watching the news, until Irini, ever the stone-cold opportunist, managed to turn the events into a philosophical debate.

bp789

I was only in second grade when it happened. There was supposed to some kind of after school thing where the parents and students meet the teachers, but it got cancelled because of the 9/11 attacks. I was too young to understand what happened. I somehow interpreted the attacks as someone destroying our school's playground.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I was at my grandparent's house in Italy, during siesta time. Mum came in the room where I was napping to tell me to come see the news. At this time the second plane had not yet hit. It was all very shocking and confusing and mum was going on about a possible WW3. It wasn't very fun getting on the plane a few days later to come home.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I was at my grandparent's house in Italy, during siesta time. Mum came in the room where I was napping to tell me to come see the news. At this time the second plane had not yet hit. It was all very shocking and confusing and mum was going on about a possible WW3. It wasn't very fun getting on the plane a few days later to come home.

Wowza... a few days later? I bet everyone at the airport was so suspicious of everything... I wouldn't have liked to go on an airplane at that time...

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Wowza... a few days later? I bet everyone at the airport was so suspicious of everything... I wouldn't have liked to go on an airplane at that time...

Well the worst part was during boarding in Germany, where some guy ahead of us was having large kitchen knives inspected, then allowed on board. So the whole time we were aware that a man on the plane had large knives in his hand luggage. I do not know how or why they let him through.

Fortunato

Honest
9/11 occurred during the middle of my vacation in China with my twin brother. We were on a river cruise going down the Yangtze river and there wasn't any tv or radio on board so we didn't find out about the attacks until two days later. Once the cruise was over we checked into our hotel and went to sleep. The next morning as we were heading out for some sight seeing, I noticed the headline of an english language newspaper in the hotel lobby showing the WTC falling down. We went back to our room, turned on the TV, and watched the coverage. Needless to say, it felt surreal. A week later we flew back home and had a connecting flight through NYC and could still see the smoke rising from the site.

DadBurnett

Instigator
I was at home with the TV on when the first pictures were broadcast. I sat mesmerized by what I was seeing ... I had spent time in the Twin Towers on several occassions and had business association with several people and several companies in the Towers. When I was first in the Towers, I was told that it would take eight hours to evacuate the Towers in the event of an emergency. With this in mind, my perception of what was happening was made worse. Nevertheless it was a horrendous event.
I have since visited Ground Zero and was in Washington DC on the first anniversary.
As terrible and as tragic as 9/11 was for America, in my mind it is still not a valid excuse or moral reason for the many thousands of deaths and injury America has been responsible for in Iraq and Afganistan!

Renji

I was about 9 years old at that time. Maybe I was in school when the 9/11 attack happened. I can recall one of our teachers instructing us (after our last class) to watch the news about this incident because we will be having a discussion about it the next day.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I was a junior in college. I was supposed to be in class (or at least supposed to be in class soon), but I had overslept, which was normal for me at the time. I woke up to my radio, which was supposed to be the local morning show with your average wacky morning show hosts. I forget which name it was, but one of the famous broadcasters like Ted Koppel or someone of that nature was talking, so I was curious what was going on. He was talking about something wrong with the World Trade Center, of which we have one in downtown Baltimore. I was really confused, but wasn't getting much info, so I got up, went down and turned the TV on. Then I found out that they meant the WTC in NY, and it made much more sense. That was right after the second plane had hit. Of course, I never went to school that day.