• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little Dragon

Jehovah is not going to kill righteous mankind; He paid a high price (His son’s life)
No one asked him to. Plus technically it was suicide.

I don't want him killing mankind, period, or over ruling mankind's autonomy and self determination.
Jehovah is definitely my enemy then. Certainly, not my friend or ally.

See ya later.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
But in their eyes, Jesus is Yahweh.
Who's the "their"?
By Christendom supporting the Jewish superstition that resulted in taking God’s Name out of the Bible,
It's not "superstition"-- it's respect for the most Holy Name so as to be used only on a very special occasion-- Yom Kippur.
Such teachings still paint God as an evil Being, no matter what name is used.
Absolutely false. Not even close.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

metis

No, I am not. You need to refresh yourself in that the tetragrammaton is written THOUSANDS of times in what you might call the "Old" Testament. Notice please the following: "According to the Jewish Encyclopedia it occurs 5,410 times in the Hebrew scriptures. In the Hebrew Bible, the Tetragrammaton occurs 6828 times" Tetragrammaton - Wikipedia

My point, to repeat, was not how many times a name for YHWH or any other Name is used but is the simple fact that there are numerous names for God in Torah! Why is that so difficult for you to understand???

YoursTrue

Who's the "their"?

It's not "superstition"-- it's respect for the most Holy Name so as to be used only on a very special occasion-- Yom Kippur.

Absolutely false. Not even close.
So let's see how you see it. Is Jesus Yahweh?

YoursTrue

My point, to repeat, was not how many times a name for YHWH or any other Name is used but is the simple fact that there are numerous names for God in Torah! Why is that so difficult for you to understand???
So tell me, why is YHWH the name wrongly translated in so many Bibles as LORD? Let's look at that a little closer, shall we?

metis

So tell me, why is YHWH the name wrongly translated in so many Bibles as LORD? Let's look at that a little closer, shall we?
Not until you answer my question that you keep avoiding. Do that and they I'll consider moving on with you.

Back tomorrow.

YoursTrue

No.

Nice deflection though. ;)
No, it's not a deflection. It's being honest. So you say Jesus is not Yahweh or as translated by some in English, Jehovah. You do think they'll equal or part of a triune godhead, right? But the topic is not that, just mentioning that the TWO have different names. But the Name, you may say, of the Father is so holy that only JESUS' name can be translated properly? Or said?
OK, my next question is why say Jesus or Yeshua but not Jehovah unless (?) = I'll let you conclude.insofar as respect goes...or tradition...as Jesus said, well you know what he said about some traditions...so going back to the names -- Jehovah or Yahweh is considered so sacred that it's not to be uttered except on auspicious occasions? Is that what you think? But Jesus name is not so sacred? What do you think?
I know, it's a lot...

YoursTrue

Not until you answer my question that you keep avoiding. Do that and they I'll consider moving on with you.

Back tomorrow.
The questions I ask you are involved with the subject relating to reasoning. So if one doesn't follow the reasoning, maybe later. Years ago I didn't listen to ANYONE much talking about religion, things can change IF there's time. Jesus is not Jehovah you say, and I agree because that is what the Bible leads honest-hearted ones to believe but it's ok to say Jesus a lot but hardly ever IF ever by some Jehovah. Or translate the tetragrammaton as YHWH or Jehovah, but rather as a misleading cover as "Lord" with large and small caps. Thanks for bringing it out.

YoursTrue

I realize that was your point. Nevertheless, the tetragrammaton is covered over THOUSANDS of times for the unwary perhaps unsuspecting reader as LORD, a serious degradation of the scriptures. It is not wrritten in the holy scriptures as LORD, it's written as the tetragrammaton, the four Hebrew letters for the name of God. You can believe it's too sacred to say as others do, it is I would say for those who disobey God yet may use his name, and was likely taught that by their religious leaders, which is likely why Jesus said, "Our father in heaven, hallowed by thy name." He wasn't speaking of his (Jesus) name, but of his Father's name, which is what my question to you was about. Later -- have a good night...

YoursTrue

more to @metis et al, here is something of interest from the Jewish Encyclopedia about the Tetragrammaton. "The Tetragrammaton is the ancient Israelitish name for God. According to actual count, it occurs 5,410 times in the Bible, being divided among the books as follows: Genesis 153 times, Exodus 364, Leviticus 285, Numbers 387, Deuteronomy 230 (total in Torah 1,419);" Now of course that's only the torah, meaning the first 5 books of the Hebrew scriptures. TETRAGRAMMATON - JewishEncyclopedia.com It goes on to state that it was written in Hebrew thousands of times in following scriptures, such as Isaiah, Proverbs, and more.

Kfox

Lots of people cry when men, women and children are killed with weapons designed by scientists to kill en masse.
you think cryin's bad, lots of people die when this happens too! But what does this have to do with anything I said?

YoursTrue

you think cryin's bad, lots of people die when this happens too! But what does this have to do with anything I said?
There are those who may not have anyone to cry for them. God sees them all and will do wht is right. Have a good one.

YoursTrue

But they themselves may be responsible for the deaths of others. No?