• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Should a Care-Giver Teach a Young Child About Hell?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
When, if ever, should a care-giver teach a young child (seven or younger) about hell in such a fashion that the child might come to believe they could be subjected to eternal torment?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Is it irresponsible for a care-giver to teach a young child about hell in such a fashion that the child might come to believe they could be subjected to eternal torment? Why or why not?

Yep. Along with all the other religious stuff. Why? Because it is abuse, and especially so to expect a young child to have any defences against wrong information - since there is hardly any consensus on religious views. It is mainly down to a parent's prerogative or bias, which just shouldn't be passed on to children. Let them decide when they are old enough - like about age 30!

Jedster

When, if ever, should a care-giver teach a young child (seven or younger) about hell in such a fashion that the child might come to believe they could be subjected to eternal torment?

Totally agree with @JJ50 & @Mostly Harmless too .
Ideally, all religious beliefs should be taught under a "all religions of the world" header.
Of course that wouldn't go down well with those parents bringing up kids with their faith.

“Give me the child for the first seven years and I'll give you the man.”

Jesuit maxim

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Different kids have different reactions to terror
inducing stories. There is no single appropriate age.
The Revoltifarian standard....
When children are old enuf to watch A Clockwork
Orange, they're old enuf to learn about Hell.
We use this documentary....

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member

I wouldn't, it's child abuse....... I'd guess the notion of a hellish place awaiting one in the future was simply used as a way to make people do something they didn't want to do. Unfortunately it's generally instilled in a child's brain before thought and reasoning begin. "There is no antidote for religion mixed with mother's milk." -- Robert G. Ingersoll

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Different kids have different reactions to terror
inducing stories. There is no single appropriate age.
The Revoltifarian standard....
When children are old enuf to watch A Clockwork
Orange, they're old enuf to learn about Hell.
We use this documentary....

I think clockwork lemon describes most religions. :oops:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They should teach it when they are themselves ready to be cast into hell for teaching it to a child.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
If memory serves me correctly, they learned after they gave their lives. It's the goodness of God that brought them to acknowledge Jesus. The simple message that Jesus died for their sins was enough - no greater love.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

When little Johnny or Susie will not stop running through house and randomly breaking things, or is lying kicking and screaming in the candy aisle in Walmart and will not budge, or continually sticking the dog's tail into the table fan after being told to stop; any of these actions (or many others that can be sited) warrant having the "fear of God and eternal damnation" card played on these small bundles of joy.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
When little Johnny or Susie will not stop running through house and randomly breaking things, or is lying kicking and screaming in the candy aisle in Walmart and will not budge, or continually sticking the dog's tail into the table fan after being told to stop; any of these actions (or many others that can be sited) warrant having the "fear of God and eternal damnation" card played on these small bundles of joy.

You would have to be a pretty useless parent if that manipulative tactic was your only recourse.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Never. Children should never be taught to live in fear.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Never. Having proportional consequences for misbehavior is one question. Causing humans to live in utter fear that any tiny little misdeed will cause an evil sadistic God to punish them in utter agony for all eternity is child abuse at the minimum.