• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

whats your beef with brexit?

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
I agree about wanting to rejoin BUT are they going to let us in again, especially with all the opt outs we currently have.

I think they'll probably let us back once we can show a significant majority in favour. I posted this article earlier in the thread about how the demographics will have already taken us to a remain majority, even if nobody has changed their minds. It's the older generations that wanted to leave, so it's only a matter of time before there's a significant pro-EU majority.

As for the opt-outs and rebate - I doubt it. It will all have been a colossal waste of time and money and incredibly damaging to our reputation, in order to end up in worse situation. Back in will still be preferable, though.

If things go really wrong (no deal), the only silver lining might be that the Tory party becomes unelectable for a generation.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I agree about wanting to rejoin BUT are they going to let us in again, especially with all the opt outs we currently have.

They would never let us have that sort of deal again. We would have to join on the same terms as everone else.
They would want some sort of guarantee before they would even think about letting us return.

They might even demand reparations if brexit causes them too much damage.
If we go for a no deal brexit they will probably want more than assurances, before they better world trade agreements terms.

Notanumber

A Free Man
I would hate to be as gloomy as some on here.

Where’s your optimism?

If the UK manages to break free of the EU, it will not be too soon.

Altfish

Veteran Member
More good news ...

Barden Corporation is closing down its Plymouth factory after 51 years - 400 jobs at risk.
European Medical Agency (EMA), Europe's medicines regulator, is moving from London to Amsterdam. 900 jobs involved (total: 1300).
Schaeffler, a car parts company, is closing its factory in Llanelli, Wales, because of Brexit, affecting 220 jobs (total: 1520).
Standard Chartered has applied to turn its Frankfurt branch into its EU subsidiary. It initially expected to move 20 jobs (total: 1540).
France's top banks are moving 500 jobs out of London due to Brexit (total: 2040).
The European Banking Agency (EBA) - the banking regulator for the EU - moved its operations from London to Paris, affecting 160 staff (total: 2200).
Credit Suisse is moving 250 jobs to Germany, Madrid and elsewhere in the EU27, including Luxembourg (total: 2450).
Nomura is moving about 100 staff to a new Frankfurt office (total: 2550).
Morgan Stanley is growing its Paris team in parallel to transferring certain roles to Frankfurt. 200 jobs involved (total: 2750).
95 job losses were announced at Wright Group, a Northern Ireland-based bus manufacturer, in June 2018 (its founder was a Leave supporter). Total: 2845.

The Philips Avent factory in Suffolk is to close with a loss of around 500 jobs (total: 3345).

PROJECT REALITY

Altfish

Veteran Member

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Common sense strongly suggest that there would be significant loss of the current benefits.

Still, maybe it will be worth it to teach a little realism and humility to the remainers in the middle term.

As well as a better appreciation of Ireland and Scotland.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We can use some of that £39 billion to help any small firms that may suffer short term.

Is that the part of the 350 million per week for the nhs but they were only lying.

Or is that the 39 billion that you guys want to default on payment which will destroy the uk,s already flagging credit rating?