1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What would the world be like without religion?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Jeremiahcp, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Mohsen

Mohsen السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Ratings:
    +170
    Religion:
    Islam
    Adios Luis ;)

2. It Aint Necessarily So

It Aint Necessarily So Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,402
    Religion:
    None
    One way that the world would be different without religion is that I bet we'd rarely if ever read a sentence like that one again.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mohsen

Ratings:
    +170
    Religion:
    Islam
    Not necessarily ;)

4. It Aint Necessarily So

It Aint Necessarily So Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,402
    Religion:
    None
    You might like this:
    • "Atheist are routinely asked how people will know not to rape and murder without religion telling them not to do it, especially a religion that backs up the orders with threats of hell. Believers, listen to me carefully when I say this: When you use this argument, you terrify atheists. We hear you saying that the only thing standing between you and Ted Bundy is a flimsy belief in a supernatural being made up by pre-literate people trying to figure out where the rain came from. This is not very reassuring if you're trying to argue from a position of moral superiority." - Amanda Marcotte

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Jeremiahcp

Jeremiahcp Well-Known Jerk

Ratings:
    +2,389
    You didn't answer the question.

6. Mohsen

Ratings:
    +170
    Religion:
    Islam
    I'm not playing this childish game with you, besides, you never asked me one. :D

Peace

#106 Mohsen, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  7. Jeremiahcp

Jeremiahcp Well-Known Jerk

Ratings:
    +2,389

8. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,373
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    I do indeed. It is odd and depressing that we even have a reason to point out such obvious things.

9. Mohsen

Ratings:
    +170
    Religion:
    Islam
    jeremiahcp,

You are confusing yourself.

Peace

10. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +12,292
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    Some churches would.

By saying "humanists" you've narrowed down the field of Americans.

Gotta go.

11. Ingledsva

Ingledsva HEATHEN ALASKAN

Ratings:
    +2,485
    Two people having sex and multiple births (for survival) not knowing how many would survive, religion, etc., will result in a steady increase, no matter what.

To stop it requires two people to have only one child, or none, and then we will see a steady decline of the population as the parents die off.

The world fights this obvious solution. Just look at what they say about China and the one child rule. China obviously had to do this as it could no longer feed and care for it's people (even if poorly.)

12. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    Earth is Not a round ball but an oblate spheroid. The horizon has a curve to it. It is Not flat.
    Yes, the Douay version does use the word 'vault' . Not meaning like a band vault.

13. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    Yes, and once the political military turns on the corrupted religious world the political will still be around.
    In the past God used the political/military Babylonians against un-faithful Israelites.
    Also, in the year 70 God used the Roman armies to go against un-faithful Jerusalem.
    So, that pattern is set. With backing the United Nations can prove to be God's modern-day political/military force to be used against the worlds religions starting with 'Christendom' ( meaning Christian mostly just in name only ).
    House cleaning will start with corrupted Christendom because she claims to follow the Bible but mostly follows church customs or church traditions over Scripture. As in Daniel's day, ' the handwriting is on the wall '- Daniel 5:25 - religion has been weighed, so to speak, in the balancing scale and justice will be carried out.

14. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,106
    Religion:
    None
    And an additional population of 800 million people would have seen a corresponding increase in the number of births... Exactly my point, thank you.

I was not discussing the modern day but addressing the OP.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ThePainefulTruth

ThePainefulTruth Romantic-Cynic

Ratings:
    +451
    Religion:
    Agnostic-Deist

All unfounded hearsay, nothing to base a rational religion or philosophy on.

16. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    I find the Bible is more than hearsay ( Bible is ancient written-down words ) .
    Keeping Bible standards and principles always have the same outcome.
    Who ever got arrested for keeping the Golden Rule.
    Jesus used logical reasoning on the old Hebrew Scriptures on which to base his teachings - John 17:17.

17. ThePainefulTruth

ThePainefulTruth Romantic-Cynic

Ratings:
    +451
    Religion:
    Agnostic-Deist
    Yet he was nailed to the cross wondering why God had abandoned him. His faith that could move mountains caused him to cleanse the Temple so God would re-inhabit it. But when God was a no show, many of his followers turned on him, even Judas and Peter.

Yes the Bible contains much history and even wisdom at times. But it also contains evil and the hearsay I was talking about is every divine revelation and supernatural miracle contained in it.

I was just reading recently that they've made a very good case for having identified a high ranking mummy found in Egypt 100 years ago as Joseph. There are several indications but the key was the quote from the Bible that Joseph was the father of Pharaoh, a rare title referring to him as a highly favored father-in-law of Pharaoh. The catch is Joseph's body was supposed to have been carried to the Promised Land, and the parting of the sea and pillar of cloud and fire are just as much hearsay as ever.

I agree that the Golden Rule, which is part of all major religions (however much it's buried in self-serving extraneous "morality" and ritual), is, when properly stated, the natural and easily deducible, and simple, moral code.