• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would it take for you to NOT believe in God?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What is closed-minded is your comment:
And nothing can take away my faith and belief in my teacher and the teaching I cultivate.​
Well I have found the teacher and teaching I have full faith in can lead me toward enlightenment. My doubt is more on my self and my ability to actually do what the teaching ask of me.
I understand why that is to be close minded? I been searching more or less all my life to find a teaching like this.
But if you want to see me as close minded, that is up to you.

ecco

Veteran Member
... but so far I have not found anything in the teaching or with my teacher I can say is false.

If everything you believe in is true, then most of what others believe in must be false. I'm sure all the Bahai's and Jehovah's Witnesses and Pentacostolists, and, and, and, feel exactly the same way.

Therefore, most of you must be wrong.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If everything you believe in is true, then most of what others believe in must be false. I'm sure all the Bahai's and Jehovah's Witnesses and Pentacostolists, and, and, and, feel exactly the same way.

Oh ok :confused:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Interesting video. Why does it separate spiritual and physical by saying the latter is not the focal point of love and compassion?

Wouldn't the soul, spirit, and body work together meaning the soul is the personality, spirit is the life, and body is the expression thereof?

I'd say they all the same and interrelated. Hmm. Is there another option besides seeing people as a soul and seeing people as an "animal" or machine? (He makes it seem like our humanity and flesh is a negative thing :()
The soul and body are interrelated and they do work together in this life, because the soul expresses itself through the body when we have a body, in THIS life. But when we die and no longer have a physical body, the soul then expresses itself through a spiritual body.

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194

Regarding flesh vs. spirit, and the relative importance of each, Jesus explained that:

John 3:5-7 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

What's a spiritual world exactly?
We cannot know much about the spiritual world because God has not revealed that through Hos Messengers.
All we can know is that it is not physical and we know we will have a form of some kind that our soul will be associated with.

“The nature of the soul after death can never be described, nor is it meet and permissible to reveal its whole character to the eyes of men. The Prophets and Messengers of God have been sent down for the sole purpose of guiding mankind to the straight Path of Truth…… The world beyond is as different from this world as this world is different from that of the child while still in the womb of its mother. When the soul attaineth the Presence of God, it will assume the form that best befitteth its immortality and is worthy of its celestial habitation.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 156-157

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

“Contrariwise,’ continued Tweedledee, ‘if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn’t, it ain’t. That’s logic.”― Lewis Carroll,

Thief

Rogue Theologian
As per the other thread about what it might take to believe in God, and presumably this might apply only to those who do have a belief in the one God, although it also might apply to others.
that I gain the power of creation
and NONE can oppose me

oh wait....that would make me ......God

and I would have to believe in myself

Milton Platt

As per the other thread about what it might take to believe in God, and presumably this might apply only to those who do have a belief in the one God, although it also might apply to others.

Insufficient and low quality of evidence for the existence of the god would do it.....and it has done it.

ecco

Veteran Member
What it took for me to not-believe-in-god was all the silliness about Adam and Eve and Noah and the Flood and the pictures of the ark with the giraffes' necks sticking out the top as taught to this then-ten-year-old at Sunday school.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
True. But what are the odds that you are right?

“Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest.
The soul, uneasy, and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.”

― Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
Odds don't really matter, I am either right or I am wrong.
THAT is all that matters.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What it took for me to not-believe-in-god was all the silliness about Adam and Eve and Noah and the Flood and the pictures of the ark with the giraffes' necks sticking out the top as taught to this then-ten-year-old at Sunday school.
That would do it for me too, but luckily I was not raised as a Christian and never read one page of the Bible until I came to forums seven years ago. By then the Bible stories had no effect upon me because I had already been a Baha'i for 42 years, so I knew better.

ecco

Veteran Member
That would do it for me too, but luckily I was not raised as a Christian and never read one page of the Bible until I came to forums seven years ago. By then the Bible stories had no effect upon me because I had already been a Baha'i for 42 years, so I knew better.

Kool-Aid is Kool-Aid