• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would it take for you to NOT believe in God?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As per the other thread about what it might take to believe in God, and presumably this might apply only to those who do have a belief in the one God, although it also might apply to others.
I believe in Brahman which is the One Consciousness that is immaterial and the source of all.

To not believe for me would only require another philosophy that made more sense with all things considered.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Wow. Looks like the only one who really answered without saying "I'm the exclusion; it doesn't apply to me" or "define your terms" or ....

What is the disadvantage of nothing happening after death?

nothing. :)

Because I won't know it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
As per the other thread about what it might take to believe in God, and presumably this might apply only to those who do have a belief in the one God, although it also might apply to others.
If what has happened to me in this life so far has not shaken my belief, I cannot think of anything that ever will. ;)
On the other hand, God might have more up His sleeve, God is like that. :(

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You want to be nonexistent? o_O

I don't know. I don't have anything to compare if I was to continue to exist. All I know of life is that when we did, that's pretty much it. Like when I saw the dead bird in the road I stopped, stared at it, and said well... That will me be... All the life gone. What else is there after death but nothing?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't know. I don't have anything to compare if I was to continue to exist. All I know of life is that when we did, that's pretty much it. Like when I saw the dead bird in the road I stopped, stared at it, and said well... That will me be... All the life gone. What else is there after death but nothing?
Do you really want to know? If so I will post the cool Baha'i video. :D
I hate seeing you so sad.

Scott C.

Just one guy

I believe in God.
I'm either right or wrong.
If I'm right, I could only stop believing in God if I start accepting error over truth. I would have to allow myself to be deceived into thinking that my perceptions of God's revelation of himself to me, has another source, and it's not God. I believe I'm vulnerable to that deception to the extent that I stop doing the things that bring me close to God.
If I'm wrong, and there is no God, I'm not sure anything will convince me of that. It probably would have happened by now. I don't know what would convince me that that which I experience, as being from God, is actually all in my head.
So if I start to doubt God's existence, my first internal reaction is that I need to do better at that which brings me closer to God. The confirmatory experiences return as I do so.
So if I'm right, I'm right and plan to stay right forever.
If I'm wrong, I see no exit from my belief.
But hey, I'm right. :)

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
If what has happened to me in this life so far has not shaken my belief, I cannot think of anything that ever will. ;)
On the other hand, God might have more up His sleeve, God is like that. :(

Well I'm sure many, even myself, could look at their lives and go either way on this issue - that is, that God had some plan for one or it all just seems so meaningless.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Haha. Let's see it.

Interesting video. Why does it separate spiritual and physical by saying the latter is not the focal point of love and compassion?

Wouldn't the soul, spirit, and body work together meaning the soul is the personality, spirit is the life, and body is the expression thereof?

I'd say they all the same and interrelated. Hmm. Is there another option besides seeing people as a soul and seeing people as an "animal" or machine? (He makes it seem like our humanity and flesh is a negative thing :()

What's a spiritual world exactly?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
What would it take for you to NOT believe in God?

1) A definition of "God", all agree on
2) Proof that this socalled "God" does not exist

ecco

Veteran Member
What is close minded in having no doubt in the teaching and once spiritual teacher?
What is closed-minded is your comment:
And nothing can take away my faith and belief in my teacher and the teaching I cultivate.​