• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would it take for you to NOT believe in God?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
They are indeed going against the weight of historical scholarship. Yet while I have no problem with the idea that he existed, I do not see the justification for any significantly positive position that he did.

There is not only no evidence for the miracle claims, there is no evidence for the mundane words and deeds attributed to Jesus.
I will tell you right up front that the reason I believe in Jesus and that Jesus did certain things is because of what is in the Baha'i Writings about Jesus. I was not raised as a Christian and I never read one page of the Bible until about seven years ago. The only reason I started reading the Bible is because I was debating with Christians on forums.

That said, I believe that many of the spiritual teachings (parables and such) that we find in the New Testament are true, because they correlate with what Baha'u'llah wrote. I also believe in the cross sacrifice because that was confirmed by Baha'u'llah, but I do not believe in the bodily resurrection.

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
All the chat and dispute about belief and claims misses one crucial point:
  • You must first agree what it is being believed or claimed and argue from the same level
If an atheist and a Christian and a Muslim have a debate, there will NEVER be a final outcome except that the three will agree to disagree with each other.

Why is that... it’s simply because the platforms are not the same...

Now, a Christian vs Christian debate comes a little closer to a possible resolution (though a straight out debate is never meant to bring a resolution!!!) - Why? Because at least they are arguing on the same CHRISTIAN platform with the SAME SCRIPTURAL belief (but possibly different claims - else why are they debating!!)

And, Catholics rarely debate with Catholics... they support each other... and that’s the problem... yes, the problem!!! No one sees the FALLACY of what is being touted as CHRISTIAN. It’s false BELIEF because CATHOLICISM is not CHRISTIAN... it’s only TOUTED as Christian.

And there is trinitarianism... oh dear... It’s classed as CHRISTIAN but where in Christianity is it said that the RULING ALMIGHTY GOD: the FATHER, is THREE PERSONS???

Isn’t that PAGANISM???

It doesn’t even make basic sense... it says that ‘GOD’ is three persons but also that ‘GOD’ is ‘ESSENCE’ (which no one can define!).

Now think about that: if God is ESSENCE AND the three persons ARE GOD .... oh, they’re not??? They SHARE the ESSENCE (which is God)!!! The three SHARE something that makes them what they are...!!!

But again, my three fish SHARE the water in which they swim... the water is CONTAINED in a fishbowl...

So the three fish, taking the trinity analogy, ARE WATER... or are they ‘FISH BOWL‘ ??? Not sure...!!

The three persons are GOD because they share the ESSENCE which is GOD... ????

Confused.... you should be!!!

Suppose there is ONLY ONE PERSON WHO IS GOD.., GOD, meaning ‘RULER’...?!

Makes sense: ‘Hear o Israel, YHWH your RULER is your ONLY RULER’

Why? The Jews were surrounded and among pagans who believed their WORSHIPFUL RULERS were MANY PERSONS... each person with a name the ‘GOD’ was referred to by.

The Israelite’s ‘God’ said there was no other ruler besides him.. he must be their ONLY WORSHIPFUL GOD...

But you see the word that prefaces ‘God’.. ‘Worshipful’? Whg is that important..?

‘God’ means ‘Ruler’ (as well as...) and THERE ARE MANY RULERS but the Israelites are to WORSHIP only this ONE and only DEITY (Spirit Ruler)
  • For though there are Gods and Lords aplenty, to us there is only one God: the Father, and one Lord: Jesus Christ
  • ‘For though there are Rulers and Masters aplenty, to us there is only one WORSHIPFUL RULER: the Father, and one MASTER: Jesus Christ’
  • Because: ‘I am the WORSHIPFUL RULER over All whom are called rulers’ (says YHWH)
Debate done!!!

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
And that ‘Debate Done’ is one of the main problems about debates.... no one wants to end a debate ... so one party or/and another will bring in disingenuous arguments to continue the debate!