• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was your religion before to be non-believer?

Eihab

Journalist

When you said "that's enough with my religion, I will not accept it anymore".
Did you decide to search out another religions or you directly became a non-believer.

Please Care to elaborate. Although I know it's a personal experience and unique way to every body, but maybe it helps others to save their times and efforts.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

Did you decide to search out another religions or you directly became a non-believer.

Please Care to elaborate. Although I know it's a personal experience and unique way to every body, but maybe it helps others to save their times and efforts.

Thanks.
I was a non practicing Jew for the most part, however, today Judaism is completely different thing from what Semitic Jews have been practicing for thousands of years, Semitic Jews have become a minority in today's world, and the Judaism of today has a strong baggage of European reality, Judaism as it is practiced today is hardly recognized by Semitic Jewish men, with many of us dropping the tradition all together out of pragmatism and in order to 'make it' in a nation which constantly aspires to become European.

Eihab

Journalist
I was a non practicing Jew for the most part, however, today Judaism is completely different thing from what Semitic Jews have been practicing for thousands of years, Semitic Jews have become a minority in today's world, and the Judaism of today has a strong baggage of European reality, Judaism as it is practiced today is hardly recognized by Semitic Jewish men, with many of us dropping the tradition all together out of pragmatism and in order to 'make it' in a nation which constantly aspires to become European
Very interesting. That's totally new to me.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Anglican or Presbyterian I think, or some other weird convoluted form of Christianity. Happily relieved of the burden of their implications now living a happy normal life with my wife and kids.
I have examined in detail most other religions and found they all failed on axiomatic grounds none are worth supporting so I rightfully developed my own moral philosophy which I am proud of with no religious contradictions. Mine is real theirs are mass manufactured, so I am a proud atheist.

Cheers

Last edited:

Diederick

I was born an atheist, when I was 18 I was a Christian for two months, then Jesus wanted to make me straight and we sort of broke up. Since then I got real again. Basically I was so messed up back then that I was an easy target for an American church, I usually label it a "gotten out of hand discussion".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've never been anything other than an atheist.
Conversions look like an interesting intellectual journey.

My mother is Catholic and I was baptized that. Father is Lutheran. Both of them are lenient believers who I'd describe as Christian Deists than either of the above, so I was never really 'forced' into anything, though they did take me to Church (both a Catholic and Lutheran one) throughout some of my childhood. I never really bought into it though. For a while I was a what would probably be called a Deist in my early teens before simply dropping it.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Technically I was Catholic, as I was baptized in the Catholic Church, attended mass, and completed the first four sacraments.

But really it's not quite so simple, as I never believed in a trinity, hell, biblical accuracy, wrath, necessity of belief in Jesus, religious exclusivity, or basically anything that is unique to Catholicism or Christianity. I just kind of used it as a template, and nodded my head when needed.

But eventually I tried to move closer to god, to figure out what I truly believed and didn't believe, and the end result was that I ended up an atheist and left the church.

Smoke

Done here.
Greek Orthodox.

I tried the Metropolitan Community Church and the United Church of Christ, but Protestantism -- even liberal Protestantism -- just doesn't appeal to me.

I realized I was an atheist pretty quick anyway. There wasn't a lot of time for shopping around.

At the time I realized I was an atheist, I was still attracted to the Quakers and the Buddhists. I finally became a Buddhist a couple years later. Still open to the Quakers and the Unitarians, but only in a nontheist way.

St Giordano Bruno

Roman Catholic, then I chip chopped between deism and theism, eventually to atheism. Especially after a major earthquake in Peru on May 31st 1970 did not seem consistant with a benevolant God at all. Finally I arrived at scientific pantheism which is what Richard Dawkins calls "sexed up atheism".

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have always been an atheist, albeit one raised in a nominally Catholic home.

It took my own sweet time to fully realize that I was atheist as opposed to "just" agnostic, though. For a while I alternated between the two descriptives.

However, despite having been taught into Catholic First Communion, I have never been a Christian by any measure. It was becoming a full-blown, actively interested Atheist that made me interested in religion, years later.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Wihab,

Everyone starts being a * believer* and then when the *MIND* [thoughts] drives them they add *NON* to their *belief*.
Logically *non-believers* too are * believers* of another kind.

Love & rgds

Last edited:

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I was raised Baptist and later in life converted to Islam. After four of five years of practicing Islam I lost faith in god and became an atheist. A few short weeks later I discovered autotheism and I guess You could say I became an atheist / agnostic / autotheist.
One day I told someone that I think the universe created itself and he replied," that sounds like pantheism". So I looked into pantheism and after a few short weeks it became a part of my perception of reality. Now I'm an atheist/ agnostic / autotheist / pantheist. I call it LHP Pantheist. That's right I coined the Phrase.:jam:

Last edited:

pururun

cmiiw
i was a moslem, then i learned some non-theistic concept of God's existence which later turned me into an agnostic.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I was Roman Catholic.

I tried other christian religions and studied some western religions and new age religions. I even tried to create a religion that would fit my beliefs before I went atheist.

Now I consider myself Atheist agnostic.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Left Christianity a few months ago. I haven't done a lot of digging but I'm starting to explore other religions, starting with Islam.

doodlyy

Grew up in a Christian home, and it was 'encouraged' very strongly, right from when I was very young. I grew up not questioning anything and just accepting everything told to me with blind faith.
It wasn't until about four years ago that I gradually drifted away from my beliefs. A few years after that, I found myself slipping into agnosticism, but it wasn't until last year that I began truly looking into what I believe, and, as it turns out, I'm now an atheist. Yay :)