• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what makes a Christian?

Elihoenai

What beliefs do you think makes someone a Christian?

I think it's all about accepting Christ as Lord:
  • Christ is God
  • Christ saves
Do you agree or disagree with this?

If so, why?

Can you think of anything else, that defines a Christian?
In Christendom what makes a Christian are the Sacraments of Water Baptism and the Eucharist, Church Attendance and Confession to a Priest/Pastor.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.................. For the record, no one posted any bible passages supporting this concept.

There were No debtors prisons in ancient Israel.
So, an Israelite could 'work off his debts' to a master - Leviticus 25:35-40 - as hired help would work.
Plus, Israel was never in the slave-trade business as the US South was.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
In Christendom what makes a Christian are the Sacraments of Water Baptism and the Eucharist, Church Attendance and Confession to a Priest/Pastor.
No, in Catholicism by far the overwhelming emphasis is on love of God, Jesus, & HS and neighbor, and all the others that you mention can be an assistance.

Elihoenai

Scripture please?
Hebrews 10:25

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

James 5:16

16 Be confessing to one another the trespasses, and be praying for one another, that ye may be healed; very strong is a working supplication of a righteous man;

The above are the Holy Scriptures that Earthly Christians use for the Requirements of Church Attendance and Confession to a Priest/Pastor to be a Christian.

Can members of the Universal Roman Catholic Church provide other Holy Scriptures supporting these Requirements?

Last edited:

Elihoenai

No, in Catholicism by far the overwhelming emphasis is on love of God, Jesus, & HS and neighbor, and all the others that you mention can be an assistance.
Matthew 3:13

13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

John 6:53-54

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

You cannot Love Elohim/God and Yeshua/Jesus Without Repentance and the Body of Yeshua Messiah/Jesus Christ. Repentance and the Body of Messiah/Christ is Fundamental to the Christian Faith.

The teaching of the Universal Roman Catholic Church is that Water Baptism is Repentance and Eucharist is the Body of Messiah/Christ.

As readers can see, Repentance and the Body of Messiah/Christ is Absolutely Critical for Christians that seek Salvation, Eternal Life and Resurrection. Why do you think Elohim/God Sent Yeshua/Jesus?

625px-Oblater_Alterbr%C3%B8d_3.jpg

Patene-byzantine.jpg

Last edited:

Clizby Wampuscat

What beliefs do you think makes someone a Christian?

I think it's all about accepting Christ as Lord:
  • Christ is God
  • Christ saves
Do you agree or disagree with this?

If so, why?

Can you think of anything else, that defines a Christian?
It is someone that believes they are a Christian. That is how I determine who is and who is not a Christian since Christians cannot agree on this issue.

metis

Matthew 3:13

13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

John 6:53-54

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

You cannot Love Elohim/God and Yeshua/Jesus Without Repentance and the Body of Yeshua Messiah/Jesus Christ. Repentance and the Body of Messiah/Christ is Fundamental to the Christian Faith.

The teaching of the Universal Roman Catholic Church is that Water Baptism is Repentance and Eucharist is the Body of Messiah/Christ.

As readers can see, Repentance and the Body of Messiah/Christ is Absolutely Critical for Christians that seek Salvation, Eternal Life and Resurrection. Why do you think Elohim/God Sent Yeshua/Jesus?

625px-Oblater_Alterbr%C3%B8d_3.jpg

Patene-byzantine.jpg
So, I'm far from clear what you think the Church is supposedly doing wrong? Mind you, my Catholic theology is VERY liberal, plus I'm not a scriptural literalist.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Yes and yes. Evolution is a fact (though I am a theist myself) and I can find no immortal Christians. They all end up in graveyards with everyone else.
Ok so how does your theist beliefs (or theology) explain what the deity you believe in does in reference to life.

Elihoenai

So, I'm far from clear what you think the Church is supposedly doing wrong? Mind you, my Catholic theology is VERY liberal, plus I'm not a scriptural literalist.
2 Thessalonians 2:9-12

9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Elohim/God has provided Earthly Christianity for 2.2 Billion Earthly Christians through the Universal Roman Catholic Church. From a Spiritual Perspective these Earthly Christians are Not Really Saved.

When you say your Catholic Theology is Very Liberal, what do you mean? Only a Few of the 2.2 Billion members of the Catholic Church are Not Scriptural Literalist. Do you have Spiritual understanding of Holy Scripture/Bible? I'm aware that you have Niche Religious Orders with a Few practising a Different brand of Christianity to the Earthly Masses.

I Am Viewed a Heretic by the Universal Roman Catholic Church Being a Christian Gnostic.

Gnosticism

Gnosticism (from Ancient Greek: γνωστικός, romanized: gnōstikós, Koine Greek: [ɣnostiˈkos], 'having knowledge') is a collection of religious ideas and systems which coalesced in the late 1st century AD among Jewish and early Christian sects.[1] These various groups emphasized personal spiritual knowledge (gnosis) above the orthodox teachings, traditions, and authority of religious institutions.

Gnosticism - Wikipedia

Gnosticism, the Enduring Heresy

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yes and yes. Evolution is a fact (though I am a theist myself) and I can find no immortal Christians. They all end up in graveyards with everyone else.
I find immortality can only happen by a dead person being resurrected to: heavenly spirit life.
Immorality is only offered to those who have a first or earlier resurrection - Revelation 20:6; Revelation 5:9-10
They are like the people mentioned at Luke 22:28-30; Daniel 7:18.
Whereas, the majority of mankind end up in the grave with everyone else - Hebrews 11:13; Hebrews 11:39.
They have a coming future physical resurrection - Acts of the Apostles 24:15; John 6:40; John 6:44.
A happy-and-healthy physical resurrection on the last day meaning: Jesus' coming One-Thousand-Year Day.
Then, just as Jesus promised at Matthew 5:5 from Psalms 37:9-11 humble meek people will inherit the Earth.
Not immortality (life within oneself) but everlasting life, eternal life on Earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So what? Crowds flock to lots of graves.
Including me. in 1913 my grandfather bought a family plot. Although out of state I still like to visit the cemetery from time to time.
Interesting to me to walk around and be reminded of ones long gone but safe in God's memory who will have a resurrection.
Not a heavenly resurrection, but a coming earthly resurrection - Acts of the Apostles 24:15
I'd like to hang up a sign for them on the front gate saying, " Come Lord Jesus and get me out of here! "
On the last day (John 6:40) meaning: Jesus' coming Millennium-Long Day Jesus will call and the dead will answer him.

metis

When you say your Catholic Theology is Very Liberal, what do you mean? Only a Few of the 2.2 Billion members of the Catholic Church are Not Scriptural Literalist. Do you have Spiritual understanding of Holy Scripture/Bible? I'm aware that you have Niche Religious Orders with a Few practising a Different brand of Christianity to the Earthly Masses.

Elohim/God has provided Earthly Christianity for 2.2 Billion Earthly Christians through the Universal Roman Catholic Church. From a Spiritual Perspective these Earthly Christians are Not Really Saved.

I Am Viewed a Heretic by the Universal Roman Catholic Church Being a Christian Gnostic.
I guess we are on a totally wavelength because I don't judge others and/or condemn their religious faith. IMO, you do Christianity great harm when you post as if you're running an inquisition.

Elihoenai

I guess we are on a totally wavelength because I don't judge others and/or condemn their religious faith. IMO, you do Christianity great harm when you post as if you're running an inquisition.
2 Timothy 3:12

12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

That's correct. Earthly Christianity does Self-Harm and Harms Others.

You have it Inverted. Happy to say I'm on the receiving end of 24/7 Satanic Ritual Abuse. I live in a Marquis de Sade Stronghold area.

I Am Christian Gnostic viewed a Heretic by the Universal Roman Catholic Church and subject of an ongoing Inquisition by said Church.

I Am Ultra Extremist Celibate and Non-Violent Christian.

Last edited: