• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those people who to pray to statues?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Lets think out of the box for a second. If you see a person who is expressing thanks to something that can not respond to you or hear you, then there is has to be something wrong with him. If you study abnormal psychology, one of the first things you will learn is that its hard to cure some people with mental disorders, because they think that there is nothing wrong with them. Paranoia and Narcissism for example; they both would always blame you for their mistakes in order to feel better about themselves.
That's funny. That's exactly what militant atheists often say of religious people, regardless of whether or not idols are used. (Well some of them anyway.)
And are you a qualified Psycharitrist? A doctor? A psychologist?
You keep bringing up these disorders and speaking about psychology. But are you qualified to make such judgments about people's health and well being?

Last edited:

sovietchild

That's funny. That's exactly what militant atheists often say of religious people, regardless of whether or not idols are used. (Well some of them anyway.)
And are you a qualified Psycharitrist? A doctor? A psychologist?
You keep bringing up these disorders and speaking about psychology. But are you qualified to make such judgments about people's health and well being?

I study abnormal psychology for the journey.

http://study.com/academy/course/abnormal-psych.html
https://www.psychologytoday.com/
Amazon

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Lets think out of the box for a second. If you see a person who is expressing thanks to something that can not respond to you or hear you, then there is has to be something wrong with him.

Why? Setting aside the false assumption that @Jainarayan pointed out earlier, why would expressing gratitude to something that can't answer or hear mean there is something "wrong" with someone? Do you ever give thanks at meal times? You know, "I give thanks to this corn, for through its sacrifice I do live" sort of thing? Us animists notwithstanding, most people in Western culture would say the corn can neither hear nor respond to such acts of thankfulness. Yet, according to you, such displays of gratitude mean there is something wrong with that person? Really? I mean... really? We have too little gratitude in the world as it is, never mind besmirching the behavior with this sort of nonsense logic.

If you study abnormal psychology, one of the first things you will learn is that its hard to cure some people with mental disorders, because they think that there is nothing wrong with them.

One of the first things you also learn is that unless a behavior pattern is sufficiently disruptive in a person's life, it wouldn't be diagnosed as any sort of mental disorder. You also learn pretty early on that classification of mental disorders is in part shaped by cultural norms, which are ultimately subjective constructs that are basically whatever some group of humans happens to agree is "normal."

atanu

Premium Member
What is wrong with those people who think that a statue has answered their pray?
Maybe they live in imaginary world.

I my understanding most utilise some or other symbol as meditation for the deity that is enshrined in heart as the very life. Some are so established/centred that they may not require a symbol.

Most immature, IMO, are those who pray to an an imaginary God in an imaginary heaven.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Well, worshiping is the main thing Islam is sent for; to worship the creator instead of the created.

That's just my belief, not gonna debate it.

But anyway, those who worship statues, or anything for that matter, have their own beliefs doing so. We're not suppose to judge their beliefs in this manner.

Kelly of the Phoenix

sovietchild

Short story of Islam.

Islam was born in the city of Mecca. Back then like anywhere else (Egypt, Vikings) people worshiped idols. When the government found out about Prophet Muhammad and his preaching (not to pray to idols and to destroy them) they rebelled against him and his followers and drove him out of the city fearing that they will lose income, because people all over the region would come and pay money/increase economy, pretty much worship idols and make the city and the government more richer. Muhammad and his followers left the city and settled in city called Madina. To cut the story short, the pagans of Mecca and the muslims of Madina fought each other, and Madina came victorious.

In Los Angeles the other day I saw a sign on a big billboard that says "Jesus is the only way to God" and the phone number on the bottom 555-555-5555. One must contemplate, are they trying to deceive people in order to make money? In Saint Petersburg, Russia some people or government officials wants to put up a 30 floor tall statue of Jesus. What are they trying to accomplish?

For example: persons with ASPD (Antisocial Personality Disorder) and low intelligence deceive others in order to obtain money.

Milton Platt

Statues look like people, and so if people are praying to statues, don't you think they are praying to them self's?

NO.........unless the statue is of themselves, and then you could say they are praying to a statue of themselves......but still not actually themselves.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I really have no idea why I'm responding at this point. Shoulda folded some time back. Maybe I'm just bored.

At the temple I go to, a friend is an adult behavioral psychiatrist. He's had many years of training and works in a psychiatric hospital. He's a good Hindu and comes to the temple quite regularly. Occasionally I will 'abuse' our friendship, and ask him a short psychiatric question. The last time it was about people who have God-delusion, the delusion that makes people actually believe they personally are God. He informed me that it's quite common within psychiatric circles, and that the standard treatment is non-judgemental listening. Well within the realms of what's considered abnormal psychology. But since a couple of billion people on this planet use statues or symbols in their worship, (Nobody, as we've explained ad infinitum, actually worships the statue itself, and you've yet to acknowledge any understanding of that) we could hardly consider them abnormal. My friend would have to be diagnosing himself. But I may have to ask him a serious question about other disorders pretty soon.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Islam was born in the city of Mecca. Back then like anywhere else (Egypt, Vikings) people worshiped idols.

Actually the ancients worshipped gods who had likenesses made of materials - likenesses they could possess at will. That still didn't mean those likenesses were the gods themselves. That's like arguing that when I get into a car, the car becomes me.

When the government found out about Prophet Muhammad and his preaching (not to pray to idols and to destroy them) they rebelled against him

How can a government 'rebel' against its own subjects? Muhammad had no authority to rebel against. He was an intolerant zealot who slandered his community and mocked their forefathers by disparaging their beliefs.

and his followers and drove him out of the city fearing that they will lose income, because people all over the region would come and pay money/increase economy, pretty much worship idols and make the city and the government more richer.

I see why it might be heinous to exile a citizen for both violating community spirit and threatening the city's prosperity. So evil! :rolleyes:

Muhammad and his followers left the city and settled in city called Madina. To cut the story short, the pagans of Mecca and the muslims of Madina fought each other, and Madina came victorious.

And the Muslims then tore down all the idols except the big black cube they were kept in - which they now worship during Hajj. Oh, and the Muslims inherited the system of pilgrimage to Mecca from the Pagans they conquered and forcibly converted to Islam. Muslims also invented their own tradition of keeping non-believers out of Mecca. This is different from what the Meccans did to Muhammad - Muhammad slandered the old gods and those who worshipped them, he violated the community spirit of his city. According to the Muslim biographer of the Prophet, ibn Ishaq, Muhammad slandered the Meccans' religion for a whole decade before he was exiled. Muslims keep non-Muslims out of Mecca just because they're not Muslims.

"[The Meccans] said they had never known anything like the trouble they had endured from this fellow. He had declared their mode of life foolish, insulted their forefathers, reviled their religion, divided the community and cursed their gods (Ibn Ishaq/Hisham 183)."

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
What is wrong with those people who to pray to statues? Don't you think they are not praying to God and only praying to them self's? What is wrong with those people who pray to them self's?

Statues seem to exist. So, it is not so bad.

Imagine, there are people who even pray to things that have far less evidence than statues to exist.

Ciao

- viole

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
What is wrong with those people who encourage people to worship idols? Don't they know that it can't help them, guide them or talk to them?

What's wrong with people who worship an incestuous zombie who raped and killed millions 3000 years before he was born for not worshipping him and later took birth as a human only so that he could copy paste buddhist ideals with his own seal and do nnothing and kill himself for his own sadistic pleasure and also commands his followers to drink his flesh and blood??

It's a religious debate groups and nor zombie lover group.

sovietchild

What is wrong with those people who live in an imaginary world? They are probably full of crap.

Last edited: