• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those people who to pray to statues?

sovietchild

What is wrong with those people who to pray to statues? Don't you think they are not praying to God and only praying to them self's? What is wrong with those people who pray to them self's?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What is wrong with those people who to pray to statues? Don't you think they are not praying to God and only praying to them self's? What is wrong with those people who pray to them self's?

If you are Christian, imagine standing infront of a statue depiction of Jesus. Bow your head and pray to Jesus. Now you are still in front of the statue. Who are you praying to? Jesus or the statue?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
People can use statues to help them focus on an image that represents the divine spirit to them. And I do believe the higher beings do receive the prayers done in earnest.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Is the copper wire itself the electricity? Do cars go down the highway when you burn gasoline in an open pit? Methinks it just could be more complicated.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
There is no gods but God. Its a sin(mistake, error) to worship people, angels or "high beings".

1st commandment - "you shall not have any other gods besides me"
That is not exactly true in Hinduism where the thousand gods are considered just the thousand faces of the One God. Also Catholicism accepts the veneration of saints and they are valid intercessors for prayer.

Since all god's are only psychological projections of ones own sensibilities, all prayer is ultimately praying to yourself. Psychodrama.

If using a statue as a prop helps people, more power to them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Praying to statues is more like:

"Dear statue of Jesus. I know you, ten feet tall bulk of cement. You saved me from my sins. I know you, statue of Jesus, will listen to my prayers. Thank you statue of Jesus. Amen."

Odd

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Statues are simply a representation of something greater, a real world symbol. They can represent aspects of the self or external variables. Nothing wrong with it, I'd actually encourage the use of such symbolism.

Premium Member
Praying to statues is more like:

"Dear statue of Jesus. I know you, ten feet tall bulk of cement. You saved me from my sins. I know you, statue of Jesus, will listen to my prayers. Thank you statue of Jesus. Amen."

Odd

Maybe it's simply helping the individual focus, or the spirit of Christ is dwelling within the statue?

Premium Member
There is no gods but God. Its a sin(mistake, error) to worship people, angels or "high beings".

1st commandment - "you shall not have any other gods besides me"

Yeah but I could come and say "I'm the best human, only listen to me", and there's likely no chance you would do so. Perhaps if you compared my actions to my words, but if Christians did that the malevolent nature of their "God" would be rather clear. So it's not a great thing to go off from.