• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is The Purpose Of Baptism?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Acts 2:38 ...and be baptized for the remission (forgiveness) of your sins...

Acts 22:16 ...arise, and be baptized and wash away thy sins, ...

Addendum: I should have included in Acts 2:38 above that the baptism is in the name of the one that shed the blood.

Was your addendum to acknowledge that you missed the point?.....

1 John 1:7 says..."....the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin."

Without the blood of Christ, the baptism itself would be meaningless.
Your sins are not forgiven just because you get dunked in water. The water itself does not wash away your sins. The reason for your baptism is the key.

Thank you.

TrueBeliever37

Your sins are not forgiven just because you get dunked in water. The water itself does not wash away your sins. The reason for your baptism is the key.

Thank you.

No my point is still the same. Your statement was incorrect. Because water baptism in the name is for the remission (forgiveness) of sins.

Your sins are washed away when you are baptized in the name of the one that shed the blood. Baptism is where the blood is applied. The reason for the baptism is to have your sins forgiven.

I added the addendum to make it clear that it needed to be in the name, and not using titles like many use.

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ

Thank you.
Agreed. I agree with both of you. None of us today can come into physical contact with Jesus's blood. None of us can use Jesus's blood to paint on our doors, as was done in Egypt. His sacrifice is applied when we believe and are baptized.

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Secondly, is there any meaningful difference between infant baptism and adult baptism; that is, does one confer something the other doesn't?
Infant Baptism is not mentioned in the Bible. If it does convey any blessing, it is not related to the Bible.
Adult baptism is unavoidably connected with faith in the Bible to be of any value, which is involved in the absolvement of sin, clothing oneself with Christ, receiving the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, etc. Since infants aren't capable of sinning in the first place, and aren't capable of having faith, then baptism is completely irrelevant for them.

sooda

Veteran Member
Infant Baptism is not mentioned in the Bible. If it does convey any blessing, it is not related to the Bible.
Adult baptism is unavoidably connected with faith in the Bible to be of any value, which is involved in the absolvement of sin, clothing oneself with Christ, receiving the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, etc. Since infants aren't capable of sinning in the first place, and aren't capable of having faith, then baptism is completely irrelevant for them.

Jews are born Jews... Christians have to choose. At least that's how it was explained to me. Infant baptism or christening is a promise as much as a naming ceremony.

I know that infants are without sin, but the Church taught original sin or inherited sin.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
It's derived from an ancient pagan ritual. The water symbolizes the amniotic fluids in the womb of the mother, the immersion symbolizes a re-entering of the womb or into a symbolic watery grave were the old earthly to die only to be reborn of the Mother Goddess. You are then taken up from this water womb into a new life, the priest used to dunk you three times back in the day in order for you to suck in the breath of spirit three times. The message of the ritual is you are earthly and the Goddess host you in her womb but once you are born out of her womb you are not no longer part of her but a separate being born of the spirit.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It's derived from an ancient pagan ritual. The water symbolizes the amniotic fluids in the womb of the mother, the immersion symbolizes a re-entering of the womb or into a symbolic watery grave were the old earthly to die only to be reborn of the Mother Goddess. You are then taken up from this water womb into a new life, the priest used to dunk you three times back in the day in order for you to suck in the breath of spirit three times. The message of the ritual is you are earthly and the Goddess host you in her womb but once you are born out of her womb you are not no longer part of her but a separate being born of the spirit.
I have a close second to that....

you are laid to your back
and you cannot breath

and you might be aware of someone saying a prayer over you

should this persist...…

and some day it will

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Jews are born Jews... Christians have to choose. At least that's how it was explained to me. Infant baptism or christening is a promise as much as a naming ceremony.

I know that infants are without sin, but the Church taught original sin or inherited sin.
That church made it up.

sooda

Veteran Member

As a practical matter standing water is often unhealthy.

Standing water can often contain malaria and dengue among many other bacteria or parasites that can pose major health risks.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I am not required to be led by your questions

the Carpenter claimed to baptize by fire
that is to say......spirit
Indeed you are not. By the same token, you cannot legitimately claim that you answered the question. You can't have it both ways.

Cutting out whole sections of scripture that don't fit with one's theology isn't good either.

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
As a practical matter standing water is often unhealthy.

Standing water can often contain malaria and dengue among many other bacteria or parasites that can pose major health risks.
Water can be made safe.