• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is The Purpose Of Baptism?

Cooky

Veteran Member
The Catholics and the Orthodox are the real Christians. We trace straight back to the Apostles and to Jesus Christ Himself, as our founder and God.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I find at Matthew 25:40 it does specify Jesus ' brothers ' who are Not strangers.
It is how the figurative humble sheep and how the haughty goats treat Jesus' spiritual brothers.
You forgot to note Matthew 25 [44] Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
You forgot to note Matthew 25 [44] Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
True, after mentioning Matthew 25:40 I did Not mention Matthew 25:44.
I find at the next verse at Matthew 25:45 it mentions the least of Jesus' spiritual ' brothers' of verse 40.
The ' sheep' and ' goats ' might Not think of what they do is for (or against) Jesus ' brothers ' as being the same as thing as doing to Jesus himself.
Jesus thus judges on the basis of the reaction people have toward his teachings and his followers.
We are speaking about three groups of people: sheep, goats, brothers (Jesus' spiritual brothers at this time frame)
This coming 'time of separating' or ingathering on Earth of sheep and goats is for the purpose of eliminating evil by separating and removing all who are bent on practicing evil.

Muffled

Jesus in me
What does that mean, "to fulfill all righteousness"?

I believe baptism is saying the person wants only what is good and wants no evil. Jesus does not have to be a sinner to want that but it is in His interest to state it by His actions.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I was baptized when a young teenager
had been going to catholic school several years prior

not the usual scheme of things
not only a late comer but also anointed with oil
rather than a dunk in the water

I don't see much point in dunking babies
it's stems from the notion the deed must be done to enter heaven
and the soul of the child is at risk if the parents have not seen to it

I don't believe that

I don't believe in ritual and ceremony
especially when treated like a superstition

but leaning to belief and THEN acting upon it displays intention

now that I am much older......
I look back and consider
and again ....the need for the ritual has faded

baptism is of mind and spirit
not water

it is of fire
What do you do with all those scriptures after Jesus's resurrection of baptisms that mention water?

JJ50

My Pentecostal church baptism by total immersion when I was a young teenager was absolutely hilarious, I still laugh when I think about it. A woman, probably in her 50s, was being baptised too. I had my swimsuit on under my long white baptismal gown, as did the other young people who were being baptised. The woman was done first, and oh dear, she had nothing on under her gown, which didn't leave anything to the imagination when she surfaced. The men in the congregation certainly got an eyeful. The women helpers rushed forward with towels to cover her. As you can imagine the young people were trying without much success to stifle their giggles.:D

TrueBeliever37

Christian baptism has a significance that most people (even many Christians) do not fully understand. Some see it as a washing away of their sins but the Bible does not say that.

Acts 2:38 ...and be baptized for the remission (forgiveness) of your sins...

Acts 22:16 ...arise, and be baptized and wash away thy sins, ...

Addendum: I should have included in Acts 2:38 above that the baptism is in the name of the one that shed the blood.

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
The purpose of baptism in water in Jesus's name is

-Acts 2:38 ...and be baptized for the remission (forgiveness) of your sins...

-Acts 22:16 ...arise, and be baptized and wash away thy sins, ...

Self explanatory.

-Romans 6:2,5-7 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? [5] For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, [6] knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; [7] for he who has died is freed from sin.

We die, our old man is crucified, we are freed from sin.

-Galatians 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

We are clothed with Christ.

-1 Peter 3:21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you-not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience-through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

We are saved, making an appeal to God for a good conscious. These two are in unison, not opposing each other.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Among others.

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
There is no scripture for

-Christian's first act of obedience.

-Publically identifying with Christ or public profession of faith.

-Having a public event announcing that we are now a Christian.

-"Symbolizing"/"representing"/"illustrating" the dbr.

The Bible comes up empty on these.

Last edited:

JJ50

Not nonsense at all - It is the plan that God laid out. No one is forcing you to believe anything.

Why even get involved if you don't believe in God? Are you trying to assure yourself because you don't believe?

It is still nonsense even if the Biblical god exists and had anything to do with it. The god would be a complete psycho if what it is supposed to have said and done has an credence. If it was a human it would be serving time in a secure ward of a psychiatric hospital.