• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is The Purpose Of Baptism?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Unfortunately the section of scripture (Mk.16:9-20) has been found to be bogus.

It is an addition, which means the person or persons who added it (like many church leaders) were definitely not converted to Christ.

I believe there should be proof that Mark didn't add it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
That goes for all of Jesus's commands. Baptism is nothing special that it should be called an act of obedience, while ALL OTHER commands are not. This phrase not written in the Bible is used only to try to give baptism in Jesus's name a purpose other than the purposes actually written in the Bible.

I believe what you mean it is the purpose you have devised and use the Bible in misinterpretation to justify your view.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I believe what you mean it is the purpose you have devised and use the Bible in misinterpretation to justify your view.
We pluck our belief on the purpose of baptism in Jesus's name straight out of the text. The same cannot be said of baptism as an alleged "Christian's first act of obedience." It's a historical teaching, not a Biblical one.

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
This is a question that might be difficult to answer
"What do the written scriptures say is the purpose of baptism in Jesus's name?"