• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the AIM of Religion

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
"Oh secret of secrets that is hidden in the being of all that lives, not Thee do we adore, for That which adoreth is also Thou. Thou art THAT and THAT am I" - Liber XV.

I think we all agree the Aim of religion is reunion, union or reconnection.

First question - reunion with WHAT?

Second question - how can you apply the Scientific method to actualising this Reunion so that blind faith is unnecessary?
Hmmm, thanks sis Octavia156, never knew of that Crowley quotation, good one. The quote I used was a Zen one from Wei Wu Wei.

Reunion with the source of course. There is one source to all existence, call it what you will,... infinity, eternity, god, tao, nirvana, brahman, allah, oneness, cosmos, non-duality, big bang, etc..

It is not possible to use the scientific method because of the fundamental error of presumption that the scientist is separate from the that which reunion is sought with. The presumption of separation that requires reunion arises because the ego mind is self referenced in place and time. When the 'I' arises in the mind, 'not I' (the complementary opposite) simultaneously arises to describe all else in existence. The 'I' then engages in endless karmic entanglement with the environment (not I) it finds itself in, including science, truly believing itself to be separate.

Reunion, or more correctly union, otoh is the state of realization of the omnipresent underlying unity of the apparent multiplicity presented to sentience, without thought.

It is an extremely difficult goal to realize, and very few mortals are even interested, but it will save those who may have a stirring interest a lot of wasted life, to understand at the beginning that any teaching about transcending duality that doesn't explain that the very mind they are using to comprehend what is being taught is the obstacle that prevents the realization of non-duality, will prevent the realization of non-duality.

Now, for those who would like to think that the union/non-dual state of mind can be realized through the present mind which divides the underlying unity of existence into two parts, ie. me and not me, then fine, life will somehow find a way to reveal understanding not understanding.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think true religion is to point you back to your true SELF, where as organized religion is to point you away from yourself, that is to point you to a god outside of you.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Control more than anything. The Gods and so forth should be celebrated as heroes and the bibles and legends
celebrated as tales of epics and all. They put an overwhelming 'responsibility' on the Gods that is not theirs.

There's also worship, but many of the God's did not request worship and worked in a sense of leadership or
guidance. Christ desired worship and reform of the Judaic religion as well as to be God King of Israel.

It's a debauchery.

Luke Morningstar

Mourning Stalker
not the purpose... but the AIM?

and thoughts?

To color in the gaps. What's beyond that horizon? What's above the clouds? What's beneath the earth? Why are we here? Where are we going? Where did we come from? Why is life filled with suffering? No, really, what the hell is going on around here?

Religion tries to answer the questions we can't answer, and helps us answer the questions we'd rather not answer. Once it was the source of all our stories, then the source of all our morality, and now it's becoming the source of comfort for a world at a turning point. Will we survive? Will we leave our home and explore the universe? Will we prove to be another failed DNA experiment?

The role of religion is shifting. It always is. We always decide what the aim is, for ourselves. Some of us decide our free will is more important and try to decide for others, too, but they mean well. I've decided the aim is compassion for all beings.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The aim of organized religion is to make you a member to serve their beliefs, the more people who believe in their beliefs, the more secure they feel.

underthesun

Terrible with Titles
The aim of organized religion is to make you a member to serve their beliefs, the more people who believe in their beliefs, the more secure they feel.​

That's... not necessarily true.
You're forgetting that not all organized religions are universalizing religions, in the first place. Judaism, for instance, is not a religion that actively seeks converts at all. It's an ethnic religion, but it's still very much an organized one.​

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Not all religions have the same aim. My religion - Satanism - is extremely different in aim and purpose from almost single other religion that exists. Satanism is an entirely Self oriented - Selfish - religion. We're not interested in "going to heaven" or "reunion" with some deity or absorption into a cosmic principle, or some form of obliteration such as you find in Buddhism. We also don't tend to be interested in loving everyone.

Our aim is individual empowerment, freedom and development into Godhood. Everything else is a tool to make use of.

Last edited:

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Not all religions have the same aim. My religion - Satanism - is extremely different in aim and purpose from almost single other religion that exists. Satanism is an entirely Self oriented - Selfish - religion. We're not interested in "going to heaven" or "reunion" with some deity or absorption into a cosmic principle, or some form of obliteration such as you find in Buddhism. We also don't tend to be interested in loving everyone.

Our aim is individual empowerment, freedom and development into Godhood. Everything else is a tool to make use of.

refreshingly honest!

but what is this "development into Godhood" of which you speak? :p is this not a form of (Re)Union?

In terms of the Aim of religion, as a Thelemite "I am your Father"... :cover: Yes to Individual Empowerment, Yes to Freedom, Yes to Development into Godhood. 100%. Bang on.

But unlike Satanism the Aim is both selfish and unselfish, for The Law of Thelema is for All. It is my duty not just to become a God myself, but to assist my fellow men and women to accomplish this Great Work on Earth.

i'm interested - how exactly does your religion assist You in the development into Godhood? What does this development look like? What is Godhood to you?

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
To color in the gaps. What's beyond that horizon? What's above the clouds? What's beneath the earth? Why are we here? Where are we going? Where did we come from? Why is life filled with suffering? No, really, what the hell is going on around here?

Religion tries to answer the questions we can't answer, and helps us answer the questions we'd rather not answer. Once it was the source of all our stories, then the source of all our morality, and now it's becoming the source of comfort for a world at a turning point. Will we survive? Will we leave our home and explore the universe? Will we prove to be another failed DNA experiment?

The role of religion is shifting. It always is. We always decide what the aim is, for ourselves. Some of us decide our free will is more important and try to decide for others, too, but they mean well. I've decided the aim is compassion for all beings.

Where do you think the role of religion is shifting now?

I think Science has gone a long way toward displacing it, and I think this is a problem. Part of the reason for the OP.

If we nail down these big questions, its the ones that Science can't answer that are important to me.
I think these questions have always been there. Now we have so many answers, but some are still blatently missing.

I think the Aim of Religion is to ask these questions and seek the answers unswerving until you find them.

How best to do this?
The Scientific Method starts with a Hypothesis.

Could the Aim of a religious person be first to find his personal Hypothesis and then go out and test it over and over again to discover if there are meaningful, repeatable or valid results... all the while make sure any prepositions are not assumptions or pieces of blind faith, but are based on experiential evidence and logical symbolism.
of course - you can't share this evidence with anyone because is it subjective... but you can treat the process as if you were a Scientist and your Life is both your lab and your experiment.

Because the results are incommunicable, the only way they can be truely valid and worthwhile is if they are recorded. Just as a Scientist records his data, so should a religious scientist record his findings.

This is perhaps Occult Science. It does not matter if the results cannot be repeated before the eyes of another man, or cannot go some way to objectify the immaterial word. If the results work for you, you find an answer or conclusion that makes perfect Sense - and they enable you to live in a state of perfect happiness and understanding - thats all that matters is it not?

Last edited:

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Some of us decide our free will is more important and try to decide for others, too, but they mean well. I've decided the aim is compassion for all beings.

Our Free Will is THE most important thing - because it is a free Will that has allowed us to ask the question in the first place. But don't tarnish free will with the actions of those who abuse it.

A great man once said "Compassion is the vice of Kings".

This is because Compassion infers that there is suffering, when there is only joy. Being uncompassionate doesn't be being unkind. Kindness, like charity are great virtues, for we are all One part of an ALL (this can be proved through logic). to acknowledge the suffering in others, despite having the desire to relive it, is to give power to the concept of suffering and to acknowledge its potential in ourselves.

All existance manifests out of an act of Love

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
not the purpose... but the AIM?

and thoughts?

Peace be on you.
Could you please be more specific because :

aim noun
: a goal or purpose

: the ability to hit a target
Source:http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aim?show=0&t=1379143379

and

And purpose is more settled and determined than an aim.

I aim to win this round of poker.
My overall purpose is to be the best poker player possible.
My first object is to lose some weight.
My current target is to hike five miles today.
My final goal is to become an expert race car driver.
Source:http://www.englishforums.com/English/TargetObjectGoalPurpose/xqqjm/post.htm

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
refreshingly honest!

but what is this "development into Godhood" of which you speak? :p is this not a form of (Re)Union?

It basically means to develop of your potential to its fullest extent.

"Reunion" with what?

But unlike Satanism the Aim is both selfish and unselfish, for The Law of Thelema is for All. It is my duty not just to become a God myself, but to assist my fellow men and women to accomplish this Great Work on Earth.

Well, Satanism is a Self religion. However, this doesn't mean we're against helping others. That choice is left up to the individual.

i'm interested - how exactly does your religion assist You in the development into Godhood? What does this development look like? What is Godhood to you?

It's about developing Power within yourself and exercising reason and Self authority in your daily life. It's also about gaining knowledge and searching the Darkness within and without to gain further understanding. That's what it is for me, anyway.

danieldemol

Premium Member
For me it is about achieving the one-ness of humanity, although I feel that the adoption of a liberal attitude can achieve the one-ness of humanity without a need to necessarily change one's religion.

desideraht

Hellspawn
I would say most religions seek to control people, make them feel/think a certain way, and give them a sense of "belonging" and purpose, since most people can't seem to come up with a life purpose on their own.

Cercatore

I think that the aim of religion is, first and foremost, the improvement of a given community's condition. Religion unifies and strengthens a community, and it offers a community answers for the big questions.

I think religions claim a goal to change the world, but they really have a goal to alter a sphere of influence. As the religion grows (or spreads out?), that sphere of influence grows with it. The opposite applies as well.

Even with major world religions, the original intent can usually be traced to a index case, so to speak. If a religious body wants to improve the situations of other communities via proselytization, I'd imagine it's because they thought it worked so well for them, other people should do it.

I also personally think that religion is a method to teaching the soul/mind/body/etc about the Divine and its many names.

Mark Paul

The aim of religion is to convey the message all over the world about all humans are equal and there is no space for casts.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Mark Twain - "Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool."

Religion although most likely was made for social justice and communal well-being it quickly became more about exploitation.

In this capitalist, greed filled, and demented society religion is solely used for the pushing of propaganda of some sort and obtaining wealth and power.

All of the good you see from religion exists without it in a secular society.

The division seen in religions today are rarely over anything theological although they do exist. The manner of refutation between each other is usually a secular reason. Christians back Israel while Muslims wish it to be destroyed.
Cult vs Religion and homosexuality vs contraception banishment.

Both issues between cult and religion are money as cults have dedicated followers and chip away at the money gained by longer established religious institutions. Pedophilia and contraception is another issue as by enforcing heterosexuality and banning contraception you are obtaining more members as the progenies of parents are raise din the faith. This means more workers who spend their hard earned money by placing it into the religious establishment

It is all about conning now.