• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the AIM of Religion

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
It's something that is unfathomable, something that isn't relevant to physical reality. It is something that doesn't matter from our body's perspective, but from our soul's perspective it is the greatest thing that can be mastered.

Science is for the body.
Philosophy is for the mind.
Religion is for the soul.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
not the purpose... but the AIM?

and thoughts?
There are several major religions and countless of minor ones so we can expect to find differences in aims and practices. A major goal in world religion is right conduct between an individual, his god(s) and people around him. However, there are other more self styled goals in religions that aim to other more refined destinations. For example, self discovery, understanding our psychology and its relation to the natural and social world, putting ourselves on the road for self fulfillment and betterment (not necessarily only in the moral sense, but in terms of skills and realizing our potential), etc.

When some people hear the term 'religion' they automatically fall back on their recognized social sphere. They think of the major dominant religious body in their culture. However there are other religious philosophies and systems that are more self styled and may carry completely different goals than the orthodox religious thinking in the general culture.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
To make the world a better place.

This.

In Judaism, the goal is to live the life of Torah; to take all of the teachings, ideals, laws, and, probably most importantly, the principles behind them, and apply them to life. It would (theoretically) end war and famine, hatred and bigotry, and bring about compassion, love, and mercy.

Many religions teach a similar goal.

seeking4truth

What is the aim of an artist or a composer when they create their work?
We are God's creation and religion is the guideline for our development.
I don't know what His aim was apart from an expression of His skills.

loverOfTruth

not the purpose... but the AIM?

and thoughts?

Aim is for people to live in peace/harmony with each other following God's laws/commands because only the Creator knows what is best for the Creation.

Ultimate goal for us, according to Islam, is to return to God (at the end of the life) while in a state pleasing to Him and with our book of Good Deeds heavier than our book of Bad Deeds and seeking entry to Paradise out of His divine Mercy.

Peace.

Last edited:

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
wow I wasn't expecting such awesome answers.

These two are my favourites:

It's something that is unfathomable, something that isn't relevant to physical reality. It is something that doesn't matter from our body's perspective, but from our soul's perspective it is the greatest thing that can be mastered.

Science is for the body.
Philosophy is for the mind.
Religion is for the soul.

What is the aim of an artist or a composer when they create their work?
We are God's creation and religion is the guideline for our development.
I don't know what His aim was apart from an expression of His skills.

In answer to Luis request for clarifications, Caladan did it for me:
I assume that purpose is the reason for the religion to exist, and aims are desired results.

I was thinking about this today.

why does man have this seemingly innate bent toward a spiritual world of sort? I think its becuase every one of us at least once has the vision of their own subjectivity - when time stops and you think **** I am an individual - wtf? I ahve thoughts that are mine and noone elses. An Eye? I and eye? haha

Some of you may be aware the strapline for the mystical arm of Thelema is "The Method of Science, The Aim of Religion"
Basically - apply the method of Science to your religious practises.

So it got me thinking - today - for me as a Thelemite and a modern woman - what is the Aim of Religion?

Thinking backwards... through-out man's history religion arguably had some of the the following aims:

1. To instruct people how to live - eg in some cases what to eat
2. To instruct people how to act - allowing for civilisation to function
3. To explain the unexplainable - which pre-science was most things in the phenomenal world
4. To answer the unanswerable question on existance itself - who am I? Where have I come from? why am I here? and where am I going next?
5. To explain how the Universe came into existance

And the by-product that grew from the distinction between the layman and the holy man:
6. To control people

I see 2 things that have led to the death of God and the repression of spirituality

1 - The Scientific Model itself - This Perfect Method has completely eliminated Aim #3. And accelerated mankind from a childlike ignornace to a worlf of fundamenal facts and laws that allow us to manipulate the world ona whole new level. It has almost attained Aim #5, its just missing the Why.

2. - Education. By educating a person out of ignornace Aim's #1 and 2 are no longer necessary for religion to supply,there are other sources - one namely being your own educated free choice. bnut Knowledge has brought us greater responsibility over our actions,

so we're left with Aim #4... which I think would be answered by adressing #5

Consider how you would apply the Scientific Method to these Aims of Religion?

Does anyone fancy a thought experiment?

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Originally it was used to give under standing as a form of pseudoscience, then provide spiritual understanding, then morality, then salvation, then personal control, then mass control, then war, then government control, then international control then idiocy.

Religion has evolved in so many states that many of the original intents are not applicable any more. I say religion should be for personal happiness. If it makes sense to you then so be it.