• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is sin?

Evee

I hardly think you agree with me. lol. :D

I live by my own bullseyes.
I choose them.
I construct them.
I place them.
I move them.

Sometimes I abandon them.
Sometimes I chop them up for firewood.

I bet we define our bullseyes differently, and I'm definitely not averse to defining and redefining them. I guess we just agree that the best definition is missing the mark, regardless of how we feel about the word itself. xD

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you make a distinction between a "sin" and a "wrongdoing"? If it's not a sin to molest, torture and kill a child, is it a "wrongdoing"? Or is there even such a thing?

Of course it's wrong to molest, torture and kill a child. Whether it's a sin or not is a matter of whether it is an offense against the god of Abraham.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend katzpur,

Originally Posted by Katzpur
Do you make a distinction between a "sin" and a "wrongdoing"? If it's not a sin to molest, torture and kill a child, is it a "wrongdoing"? Or is there even such a thing?

Simply put *wrong doing* is all about that which is against social norms/law but *sin* connotes *guilt* which is own submission / acceptance of wrong doing.

Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Line Noise,

No, that's okay. I'll take the next lift.

Probably if you learnt breath control, you could still make it on time using the same lift!
{it is possible to filter line noises [fart smell] from the air one breathes}
Love & rgds

Just_me_Mike

What does sinning mean to you? Can people really sin? Is it wrong to sin if it helps someone else or helps the world in general?
I think you first have to determine where the word came from first. If one attributes the idea of sin to the Abrahamic God than it is easier to define.

Sin in that sense is many things. Reading the bible would give you a broad definition of the word, and if that is the origin of sin, I think it best to define it from there instead of Webster's or something similar.

To try and define sin in a word or two, does very little to actually understanding what sin is.

I will offer this however, sin is the condition of mankind, that keeps mankind from a relationship with God.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Of course it's wrong to molest, torture and kill a child. Whether it's a sin or not is a matter of whether it is an offense against the god of Abraham.
If the God of Abraham decides that it is a sin, who decides that it's just wrong? Is it just society? And if society says it's not wrong, is it right? Is it okay?

Evee

Friend Line Noise,
Probably if you learnt breath control, you could still make it on time using the same lift!
{it is possible to filter line noises [fart smell] from the air one breathes}
Love & rgds
:eek:Can you teach me?:eek:

Also, I think it's possible to sin without feeling guilty about it. The sin exists whether or not you believe it does, IMHO.

Sin is anything not in harmony with, hence contrary to, God’s personality, standards, ways, and will; anything marring one’s relationship with God. It may be in word (Job 2:10; Ps 39:1), in deed (doing wrong acts [Lev 20:20; 2Co 12:21] or failing to do what should be done [Num 9:13; Jas 4:17]), or in mind or heart attitude (Prov 21:4). Lack of faith in God is a major sin, showing, as it does, distrust of him or lack of confidence in his ability to perform. (Heb 3:12, 13, 18, 19)

The common Hebrew term translated “sin” is chat·ta’th´; in Greek the usual word is ha·mar·ti´a. In both languages the verb forms (Hebrew, cha·ta’´; Greek, ha·mar·ta´no) mean “miss,” in the sense of missing or not reaching a goal, way, mark, or right point. At Judges 20:16 cha·ta’´ is used, with a negative, to describe the Benjamites who were ‘slingers of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss.’ Greek writers often used ha·mar·ta´no with regard to a spearman missing his target.

Both of these words were used to mean missing or failing to reach not merely physical objects or goals (Job 5:24) but also moral or intellectual goals or marks. Proverbs 8:35, 36 says the one finding godly wisdom finds life, but the ‘one missing [from Hebrew, cha·ta’´] wisdom is doing violence to his soul,’ leading to death. In the Scriptures both the Hebrew and Greek terms refer mainly to sinning on the part of God’s intelligent creatures, their missing the mark with regard to their Creator.

Gracious

The best definition I've heard of "sin"
is "missing the mark" or "to miss the mark"
like an archer with a bullseye.

Now WHOSE mark you're missing,
is a whole nother story.:rolleyes:

Yes, "Ultraviolet", I agree with you on your definition:yes:

And would also add that:
GOD's Inspiration (The Holy Bible) also describes sin as the breaking, or transgression, of God's law (1 John 3:4), as in our disobedience / rebellion against God (Deuteronomy 9:7), as well as independence from God.

As was said, the original translation means "to miss the mark" of God's holy standard of righteousness.

Great topic!

challupa

Yes, "Ultraviolet", I agree with you on your definition:yes:

And would also add that:
GOD's Inspiration (The Holy Bible) also describes sin as the breaking, or transgression, of God's law (1 John 3:4), as in our disobedience / rebellion against God (Deuteronomy 9:7), as well as independence from God.

As was said, the original translation means "to miss the mark" of God's holy standard of righteousness.

Great topic!
No... missing the mark was an archery term:shrug:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
What does sinning mean to you?
Something which should be taken seriously ;) when being righteous is so problematic and loaded.
Can people really sin?
No. although naturally every once in a while you got the person who would really impress the devil.. or God.
Is it wrong to sin if it helps someone else or helps the world in general?
Conforming to other people's morals is always twisted. 'helping the world' is a line for miss America.