• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is sin?

xkatz

What does sinning mean to you? Can people really sin? Is it wrong to sin if it helps someone else or helps the world in general?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
To me, a sin is something that would cause a harm or loss to others. I think that pretty much keeps it free from any one religion and of man's laws. It is pretty much a moral issue or what is right and what is wrong.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sin is an offense against a certain god. I doubt that particular god exists so I doubt there is such a thing as sin.

blackout

Violet.
The best definition I've heard of "sin"
is "missing the mark" or "to miss the mark"
like an archer with a bullseye.

Now WHOSE mark you're missing,
is a whole nother story.:rolleyes:

xkatz

So doing something your not supposed to, like worshipping a god/idol you are not supposed to worship is a sin? But what if worshiping that god/idol you're not supposed to worship made you a better person?

MissAlice

What does sinning mean to you? Can people really sin? Is it wrong to sin if it helps someone else or helps the world in general?

Sin is when you made an oopsy.

Yes unless they are delusional enough to think they are free from sin or dare I say free from imperfection...

Right and wrong are subjective thus sin is only defined by what is percieved as right or wrong. Most people would think it noble to help while other people would think it wrong depending on how they were raised and what they encompass from the very ethics that shaped their personalities.

Last edited:

Morse

To Extinguish
So doing something your not supposed to, like worshipping a god/idol you are not supposed to worship is a sin? But what if worshiping that god/idol you're not supposed to worship made you a better person?

Something similar is a heavily debated topic in Christianity and you may want to ask that of them. Many people bring up the "Good Person that doesn't accept Jesus" argument. Its usually based on some wonderfully good person who has accepted a different religion, but is still going to hell because he refuses to accept his savior.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I can relate to this. I worship the Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egyptian Mythology. If I was of an Abrahamic religion then I would be committing a mortal sin. But, then again, if I was of one of those religions I would not feel the need to worship the Gods and Goddesses that I do now. So, I am only sinning through other people's eyes. Through my own eyes and the eyes of my Deities I am doing just fine. :)

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
But if other people think that you are committing a sin, do you feel any guilt?
no, why should one feel guilty if other people think it is sin. What they think is sin doesn't apply to us, they can be breaking our rules and committing sin themself

Evee

I agree with UltraVioloet. Sin is just falling short of the standards. There are two kinds of standards, so there are two ways to sin. You can either DO something that you should NOT to, or you can NOT do something that you should DO. And it's all about finding the standards you think are true/useful/YOURS.
There are only a couple of cases I can think of where someone becomes "a better person" from sinning, but even then, it's only "better" than whatever they were before. I can't think of any cases where sinning makes you a better person by my religious OR secular standards. Maybe I'm not imaginative enough. :p

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sin is an offense against a certain god. I doubt that particular god exists so I doubt there is such a thing as sin.
Do you make a distinction between a "sin" and a "wrongdoing"? If it's not a sin to molest, torture and kill a child, is it a "wrongdoing"? Or is there even such a thing?

blackout

Violet.

I really have no idea at all what this response has to do with my post. :shrug:

So much so, that I have absolutely NO IDEA how to respond.

blackout

Violet.
I agree with UltraVioloet. Sin is just falling short of the standards. There are two kinds of standards, so there are two ways to sin. You can either DO something that you should NOT to, or you can NOT do something that you should DO. And it's all about finding the standards you think are true/useful/YOURS.
There are only a couple of cases I can think of where someone becomes "a better person" from sinning, but even then, it's only "better" than whatever they were before. I can't think of any cases where sinning makes you a better person by my religious OR secular standards. Maybe I'm not imaginative enough. :p

I hardly think you agree with me. lol. :D

I live by my own bullseyes.
I choose them.
I construct them.
I place them.
I move them.

Sometimes I abandon them.
Sometimes I chop them up for firewood.

Line Noise

non practicing abs master
no, why should one feel guilty if other people think it is sin. What they think is sin doesn't apply to us, they can be breaking our rules and committing sin themself

social morality, peer pressure, deconstruction and relativism - exchange the name and play it by a different game. or perhaps a bit more twisted, just as a byproduct of empathy or compassion. Although "guilt" likely as it were transfers upon issues other than the "sin"

But I suppose I could be missing the mark on that tangent, if it's solely isolated to the "sin" alone; the casting of stones with the removal of the human component and issues surrounding.

such as when "sins" are named as the separation, departure from the traditions and practices of their families, culture and communities, when the thought or talk of others as light and heavy as rumors, comes with more at stake than a difference of opinion. And there I'm sure guilt of it's mainstay format fits as well among a variety of other feelings.

----
"sins" often seem spoken in anger or with cautionary tales which outline an inevitable outcome of one snowballing upon another to fit whatever has been adopted as the popular agenda, more of politics than principles. As to be used as little else than a slur than a tenet of philosophy or a desired path of living, that which becomes justified with a promised ending, a payoff with allowing the dismissal, contradiction of other "sins" in the execution, reaction to the one.

perhaps it should be renamed to "pet peeves" - which are a bit more entertaining and often just as absurd.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
perhaps it should be renamed to "pet peeves" - which are a bit more entertaining and often just as absurd.

I agree. Better to just call "pet peeves" pet peeves, and grave injustices... grave injustices.

Honestly the word "sin" is so religiously charged
that I do not even use it.

Still, of every definition, I like "to miss the mark" best.

Like I could say... "it's such a sin I spent so many years in the Roman Catholic church,
instead of being and developing and knowing mySelf. I really missed the mark."

(of course, these things, now define my "mark".)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend UV,

is a whole nother stor
y

I live by my own bullseyes.
I choose them.
I construct them.
I place them.
I move them.

Sometimes I abandon them.
Sometimes I chop them up for firewood

Yes, the fire is well lit and may have burnt few hearts.
The poetic way of expression is good and hit the bulls eye, So, no sins committed.:D:D

Love & rgds

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
But if other people think that you are committing a sin, do you feel any guilt?
Not at all. They can wrap themselves around their phony beliefs and make-believe morals. I do what is right in the eyes of my Gods and Goddesses. Feeling guilt based on others beliefs would mean that people should feel guilty for interracial marriages, eating foods that their peers do not like, painting their house a color that their neighbor doesn't like, or farting in public. I feel guilt for none of these things.