• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is happiness?

gnomon

When we think of happiness, what do we think about? What is the true nature of happiness, and is it something we want, have, need, don't need, etc...

Can we really ask ourselves... "Am I happy?"

Glad to see you back.

I think that a non-spiritual point of view somewhat coincides with that of the Taosist or Buddhist.

We can always ask ourselves if we are happy. Are we free of anxiety? Free of depression? Free from fear?

I recognize that I will always feel some anxiety, some depression, some fear. There are those moments in my life when I realize that those emotions do not exist and I can truly realize happiness. Even in some moments of anxiety, depression or fear I can realize happiness.

I would say happiness is a need and all needs at some point is a want. The various subjective means we attain that need are many.

may

But he said: "No, rather, Happy are those hearing the word of God and keeping it!" LUKE 11;28

may

The Scriptures are like a storehouse of happiness, for they enrich the mind and the heart. They enliven the spirit. They give hope. They point the way to a productive, pleasant life. They contain thoughts of God that we can reflect on at any time. They are the basis for true wisdom.—Compare Proverbs 3:13-18.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
And may these are your opinion from the Bible and not ever one will agree. To me happens is being me and bettering myself(that make me happy).

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
whatever happiness means to the individual is of course subjective. I would say that if basic human needs are not met, unhappiness is inevitable. Beyond having basic needs met, I would say happiness, or perhaps elation, is a short lived phenomena in the brain.

Melissa ~~~

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
OP said:
When we think of happiness, what do we think about? What is the true nature of happiness, and is it something we want, have, need, don't need, etc...

Can we really ask ourselves... "Am I happy?"

Now, I want us to try something different..... answering the question! :D

Keep in mind, you're in the Taoist forum, so if you're not mystic, you're probably free to participate, but it's highly unlikely that you'll grasp what's going on here.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
The Scriptures are like a storehouse of happiness, for they enrich the mind and the heart. They enliven the spirit. They give hope. They point the way to a productive, pleasant life. They contain thoughts of God that we can reflect on at any time. They are the basis for true wisdom.—Compare Proverbs 3:13-18.
I've no doubt this works for you May. I'm wondering whether you would agree that is also possible to have all these things that the Scriptures can give without using them as a basis for wisdom.

If not, what do you make of people who appear to be very happy but aren't familiar with the Bible?

If so, does this mean that the presence of God precedes the words of God in some way that people can discover without Scripture?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Happiness / sadness are just STATES of the MIND.
Enlightenmed persons are beyond dualities of any kind.
Love & rgds

robtex

Veteran Member
Relating this thread to taoism I would like to ante up Wu Wei's part in the Tao. Wu Wei meaning without action or effortless doing. There is a range of what we can do in life and what we cannot. I think people sometimes create their own misery or unhappyness by attempting to move beyond that range which is natural or within their Tao. People who go to med school but have marginal science and math skills. People In sales who work 70 hours a week to get a bonus on quota and miss life when making that money for extended periods of time. And other ideas of super-ambition aligned with the idea of "attitude equal altitude" and "winning at all cost" create a mentality that pushing the limits is the key to success and by association happiness. I remember thinking about this years ago when I had a friend in a drug rehab and she was telling me her therapists were telling her that over-indulgence was her addiction with drugs being a by-product of that behavior pattern.

I would say Wu Wei creates a natural moderation of action that in Taoism may be part of balancing ones yin/yang in regards to action and inaction. (wu wei being associated with yin in some writings). Maybe for Taoist and their understanding of the Tao understanding they are a part of the Tao and flow of that Tao that Wu Wei is the action of inaction that lets them flow mentally, within the congruence of the tao instead of pushing harder to "achieve with great sacrifice". I would say in my limited understanding of Taoism that could be an answer to what is happiness, within the philosophy of Taoism. Because within the Tao every application to any idea is Yin/Yang of doing or not doing. Acting or not acting, active participation or passive observation. Wu Wei is the balance of inaction to action

footnotes:
Taoism - The Wu-Wei Principle - Part 4
wu-wei --  Britannica Online Encyclopedia
WU WEI

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Robtex,
The thread was about *HAPPINESS*
As far as BALANCE is concerend you are right.
Would you like to infer that a balanced person is always HAPPY?
Only it can be added that a balanced person is always in the CENTRE / MIDDLE and is neither swayed by HAPPINESS / SADNESS.
To him both are equi-distant from the CENTRE.
Love & rgds

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Or true happiness IS balance, and not the "happiness" our ego thinks it is.
True happiness is a byproduct of expanding awareness. By this I mean that when the observer learns that there is more to self than the often tyrannical ego, understanding increases at an ever-accelerating rate. I insist that bliss or happiness is a result of that process... somewhat like a free bonus. The way to do this is NOT to chain the ego tightly into a corner, but to make it a friend of the greater reality of the Self. When this is done the ego doesn't mind when it is asked to step aside on occaision so that light of its Origin can peek through. When the larger identity is allowed to peek out, sort of like sunlight breaking through dark clouds, the ego is enhanced and feels more secure and so becomes a better team player in what can be called the civilization of the psyche. Happiness again, is the side effect of this process and if folks do not know that then they still have many joys ahead of them.

I normally end my pieces with "I could be wrong" but on this score I know that I am not, so there is no point in pretending.

robtex

Veteran Member
Friend Robtex,
The thread was about *HAPPINESS*
As far as BALANCE is concerend you are right.
Would you like to infer that a balanced person is always HAPPY?
Only it can be added that a balanced person is always in the CENTRE / MIDDLE and is neither swayed by HAPPINESS / SADNESS.
To him both are equi-distant from the CENTRE.
Love & rgds

Zenzero,

It is in the taoist section so I am taking "what is happiness as it applies to taoism". Within in that idea balance (yin/yang) is an instrumental idea to happiness within the tao because a central idea in Taoism is that good things happen when one works within the tao and tougher things happen when one tries to go against the Tao (which could be seen as nature or the natural way).

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Robtex,
The meaning inferred from your response is that when one is working according to nature like if you swim with the tide you do not use effort and you are HAPPY and if you are working against it like swimming against the tide you are SAD.
Is it correct?
Toa as understood as NOTHINGNESS from whicvh both YIN / YANG comes from or all dualities exists. A balanced person who is in TAo or nothingness is equally into both the opposites without getting affected or losing balance. Happiness/ Sadness are also YIN and YANG.
Love & rgds

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Tao=the way not as "nothingness".

are you a Taoist Robtex? :p

Tao on the surface means "the Way" but there is so much more.... and so much less than that! If you just want to take it as face value, I doubt you'll be able to really understand much of Zen Zero's posts. Try reading the Tao again. :)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend YmirGF,
What you mention *True happiness is a byproduct of expanding awareness..........*
is correct and agree BUT would put it differently. Mind is ever there and it represents the EGO or the BARRIER to the happiness [depends on what we mean here temporary / permanent]. Instead of fighting with the Mind your suggesstion is to befriend it and take him along the way.
Yes, whatever way one takes the mind remains BUt our objective is to STILL it and make it free of all thoughts, to reach the state of happiness [permanent].
Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Robtex,
Still the clarity has not come about.
Is it correct to state that if one's action is in accordance with TAO like swimming with the current and swimmimg against is going against nature and so against TAO.
Can you clarify if the above is what you are trying to state or if there is a difference, please clarify.
Here we should all be trying to expand our area / zone of understanding by discussions and unless we understand each other, we will not succeeed in as much as understanding is concerened.
Love & rgds

Friend Buttons,
All efforts are been made to be able to get across to each individual in their own language of understanding. If there are failures, they are temporary. Please help us to understand each other better.
Love & rgds

Diogenes

Happiness is a smile that shines out of those I love. A smile that shines out of their soul and is not another formality.