• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is happiness?

Master Vigil

When we think of happiness, what do we think about? What is the true nature of happiness, and is it something we want, have, need, don't need, etc...

Can we really ask ourselves... "Am I happy?"

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Well I seem to misunderstand most of your questions M_V... Am I happy... sometimes.

I think about family and loved ones and that makes me happy. I think it's something we need in doses, same as everything.

As my grandma says ALL things in moderation. Even the good stuff too I guess.

As to whether it's real or not, it's as real as you feel it is I think.

Master Vigil

In taoism we have wu wei, in buddhism the middle way, etc... Is the common notion of happiness a part of these concepts? Or is it an extreme that will lead us to suffering? Or is true happiness the absence of extremes?

Can we really ask ourselves if we are happy if we are unclear about what happiness really is?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Am I happy? LOL. I have described myself as a basketful of bliss. Upon meeting me you may indeed wonder if I have serious bone in my body as I am always blathering something amusing.

To my warped view of reality, bliss itself is the natural state of mind. When you remove the "trash" in your thought processes your mind naturally gravitates towards happiness. In larger terms joy and happiness, if not outright bliss, are the result of realizing the value of fulfillment. It's almost a residual effect, really. The most pronounced attribute of what most would call "god" is "his" outrageous godly joy and bliss. It really is a knockout. Honestly "he" makes Robin Williams seem like Morely Safer or Jim Lehrer.

zenzero

Its only a Label
AM I HAPPY?
Who is this * I * ?
The *I* is the MIND that by nature questions to both happiness/sadness or else there is none there is nothing as happiness/sadness.
Its only a play/maya and things happen as they are supposed to by its very nature itself. One just needs to be a WITNESS.
Love & rgds

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Can we really ask ourselves if we are happy if we are unclear about what happiness really is?

No, we can't. Some people equate happiness with peace of mind (a lack of emotional disturbance), while others equate it with the presence of joy or pleasure or affirmation or something else.

We do need to be clear on this.

eudaimonia,

Mark

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
No, we can't. Some people equate happiness with peace of mind (a lack of emotional disturbance), while others equate it with the presence of joy or pleasure or affirmation or something else.

We do need to be clear on this.

eudaimonia,

Mark
What a terribly sad prognosis Mark. You usually do much better than that. Tsk, tsk.

Ozzie

When we think of happiness, what do we think about? What is the true nature of happiness, and is it something we want, have, need, don't need, etc...

Happiness is fulfilled expectations. For me that means: happy kids, happy ex-wives, and a bit of crumpet at the end of it all for me.

PureX

Veteran Member
Why would I ask myself if I'm happy? What could I gain from asking such a question?

If I were not happy, I would certainly know this. I wouldn't need to ask myself about it. And if I were not specifically unhappy, then I must be either happy, or pleasantly indifferent to the quest for happiness. In either case there would be nothing to gain by my asking.

zenzero

Its only a Label
If one is happy would also mean that he could be sad.
The middle path of Buddha means that one is in the centre neither this or that side of anything. If one is centred happiness/sadness does not affect him. Such a person can see the swings of the pendulum and does not get carried away.
Chocolate is good BUt too much will be bad.
Love & rgds

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
If one is happy would also mean that he could be sad.
The middle path of Buddha means that one is in the centre neither this or that side of anything. If one is centred happiness/sadness does not affect him. Such a person can see the swings of the pendulum and does not get carried away.
Chocolate is good BUt too much will be bad.
Love & rgds

What if both experiences are Tao?

And never say bad things about chocolate! :slap: :D

Smoke

Done here.
Samuel Johnson: [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif]"That all who are happy, are equally happy, is not true. A peasant and a philosopher may be equally satisfied, but not equally happy. Happiness consists in the multiplicity of agreeable consciousness."[/FONT]

PureX

Veteran Member
Samuel Johnson: [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif]"That all who are happy, are equally happy, is not true. A peasant and a philosopher may be equally satisfied, but not equally happy. Happiness consists in the multiplicity of agreeable consciousness."[/FONT]
I don't know what that means ... what is "the multiplicity of agreeable consciousness"?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd

May i ask why satisfaction cannot be a part of happiness? Why can't excitement or love be happiness? Do they not cause sensations that lead to a "clarity" of being?

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda

I'm not sure, I think it may of been Schopenhauer, who defined happiness as the temporary cessation of pain, by this I assume he means both emotional and physical pain. I tend to agree with this notion.

Melissa...