• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it take to be part of your religion?

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
This is something we had a recent thread about in regards to Christianity, and something we hear a lot when discussing groups like Catholics, Mormons, and JWs, but what about your religion? In your personal opinion, what does it take for a person to be part of your faith? Which beliefs do they have to have, which ideas must they subscribe to for them to be able to say they are of that faith? Are there any rites of passage required to enter it (like an oath or ceremony)? Finally, for those of you in more organized religions, is there any difference between the "official" qualifications and what you personally believe they should be?

Note: Please do not start fights or long theological debates. This is a discussion section, not a debate one. I'm genuinely curious what you all have to say about this! :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Love Denise Naslund....she's my favorite Saint...I just want to see her loved...I really don't have requirements to my Religion :)

Just Love the living dead girls :D

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It'll be important to frame this in context, because "my" religion refers to several different things (from small to big categories):
  1. The religion that is mine and mine alone, representing my way of life and my worldview. What does it take to become part of that religion? Not applicable - it cannot be done. Nobody else is me. Nobody else can join my religion. And I am not interested in starting a cult around my religion.
  2. My religion is also Druidry, specifically with the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids. What does it take to be an OBOD Druid? Sign up for the Bardic course and walk that journey. Really walk it. It takes work. Other groups (e.g., ADF) have similar training processes. It all involves work and doing stuff. I suppose one can technically identify with Druidry without a formal group affiliation, but you wouldn't get the initiatory mystery tradition feel associated with the groups.
  3. My religion is also Paganism. What does it take to be a Pagan? Given there isn't any central organization or governing body, technically self-identification is all it takes. Beyond that, I suppose I have particular standards of what I look for, but I try not to fuss overmuch about it. There have been too many "Pagan enough" arguments in the community and I am tired of them.
  4. My religion is fourthly Unitarian Universalism. How do you become part of that? These guys are awesome enough to have actual infrastructure, so go to the fellowships and get involved. If the seven principles speak to you, you'll find a great home there. Join officially... or not. They're pretty laid back about it.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
This is something we had a recent thread about in regards to Christianity, and something we hear a lot when discussing groups like Catholics, Mormons, and JWs, but what about your religion? In your personal opinion, what does it take for a person to be part of your faith? Which beliefs do they have to have, which ideas must they subscribe to for them to be able to say they are of that faith? Are there any rites of passage required to enter it (like an oath or ceremony)? Finally, for those of you in more organized religions, is there any difference between the "official" qualifications and what you personally believe they should be?

Note: Please do not start fights or long theological debates. This is a discussion section, not a debate one. I'm genuinely curious what you all have to say about this! :)

"The process of becoming a Bahá’í is necessarily slow and gradual. It is not essential that the beginner should have a full and detailed knowledge of the Cause, a thing which is obviously impossible in the vast majority of cases, but that he should, by an act of his own will, be willing to uphold and follow the truth and guidance set forth in the Teachings, and thus open his heart and mind to the reality of the Manifestation." Shoghi Effendi

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is something we had a recent thread about in regards to Christianity, and something we hear a lot when discussing groups like Catholics, Mormons, and JWs, but what about your religion?
I do not call what I believe "a religion". I think that to be a religion, there has to be more than one person who believes the religion's way. I am just one.

In your personal opinion, what does it take for a person to be part of your faith?
A person must choose dedication and must put off his or her personal preferences if they interfere with God's will be done.

Which beliefs do they have to have, which ideas must they subscribe to for them to be able to say they are of that faith?
They have to believe that God lives and they must trust that love comes before everything else. I see that some people slander dead people and slanderers are not of my faith.

Are there any rites of passage required to enter it (like an oath or ceremony)?
I don't know if baptism is a rite one must accomplish, but I was baptized (for a different religion) and I consider my baptism sound (effectual). So, I guess baptism might be required.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Well. My thing is foundation first then branch from there. Have a support network whether it be community, family, friends, whoever. A "Church". It doesnt need to be institutionalized. Most Churches are probably not. I like the foundation where you smell clean air, people look you in the eye and smile, people who say ma'am and sir. Doesnt need to be christian. Just a sense of belonging.

If one does not mind having other humans help them out and willing to help others, then Id say thats a requirement.

That sense of grounding in most areas starts with family. Blood related or not, doesnt matter. The people who raised you regardless your technical relations. I put a lot of stock on blood relations because thats my views, but the community view, I feel we all need that. Its part of my rationale.

Above is another way of saying initiation and communion.

I dont have a lot of things that "are" my religion and I wouldnt have a religion if other peoples religion didnt by their standards exclude me from them. So, as not a christian, you cant be christian and pray To your ancestors or any spirits. You cant be muslim and my faith because there is no god at my foundation. Cant be hindu. Lot of things you cant be.

Not because of my religion but because of theirs.

I like this in context.

The religion that is mine and mine alone, representing my way of life and my worldview. What does it take to become part of that religion? Not applicable - it cannot be done. Nobody else is me. Nobody else can join my religion.

This, is in general sense, because religion is personal.

Im not a solo artist at heart so Id say it Also takes a community. I cant imagine myself being that artist in their wooded cabin writting sonnets until my hair phases to gray as the moonlight ashes my skin.

I like the movie Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. He was alone but had a town and it was cozy. Things like that.

How to be a part of this?

Make good relations with your family, friend, and people in general.

*cough* *cough* Repent.

Find your passion, calling, whatever. Doesnt need to be religious.

Have an out.

What can you do to be excummunicated from my religion?

The best one to wrap it up: Thou shall not kill.

Havent heard any argument against it since.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

For being a Hindu, joining and participating in any Hindu group, worship, meditation etc. for a sufficient amount of time would be enough.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Depending on your perspective, you would have to be me to share my religion (or even better, you would be the heavenliest kind of wife!)

Or it would only take having a deep certainty of the truth of interdependent origination and some awareness of Buddhism and other traditions. It is all in the referential.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
You would have to basically be a polytheist (or a member of a polytheist-inclusive religion)....:p:p:smilecat:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Living life according to Dharma (ethics, values, morals, responsibilities etc)

As for beliefs, people can believe whatever they wish.

arthra

Baha'i
what about your religion? In your personal opinion, what does it take for a person to be part of your faith? Which beliefs do they have to have, which ideas must they subscribe to for them to be able to say they are of that faith? Are there any rites of passage required to enter it (like an oath or ceremony)? Finally, for those of you in more organized religions, is there any difference between the "official" qualifications and what you personally believe they should be?

Lovesong... Thanks for posting your question!

Baha'is have a basic requirement to become a Baha'i.. and that is recognizing Baha'u'llah as the Lord of the age. Once you've done that then a corollary is that you recognize there are certain laws that should be followed. The first step in the United States is signing a card of declaration... Once that card is turned in the various laws that are expected of a Baha'i are explained.. Usually this can occur during a consultation to be sure the new believer understands what's involved. It could also follow a brief study course on what it means to be a Baha'i. The following site gives an example...

How to Become a Baha'i

Tumah

Veteran Member
Acceptance of all the Laws.
Ritually immersing in a mikveh in front of three Jews who would have standing in a Jewish court.
Circumcision (for males) by a Jew who had intent to fulfill the commandment of circumcision.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
For JW's its a matter of learning all we can about what the Bible teaches in the most important aspects of Christianity before making a commitment and being baptized. We view Baptism as a vow made to God to uphold the teachings of his son. It is a symbolic death to a former life course and a rising to do the will of God first in all things. This is why you cannot "join" Jehovah's Witnesses.....you have to choose to become one, and this needs qualifications because every single one of Jehovah's Witnesses is an ordained minister of the Kingdom.

Some of the basic fundamentals of Christianity are.....

1. Who God is.
2. Who Jesus is.
3 What God's first purpose for creation was.
4. What salvation is and how to achieve it.
5. What the Kingdom of God is and how it fits in with his first purpose.
6. How the Kingdom "comes" and what it will achieve.
7. What happens when we die.
8. The real meaning of heaven and hell.
9. It is dedicating oneself to God unreservedly in prayer and then doing our best to live up to that commitment for the rest of our lives.
10. It is also understanding our commitment to share Bible truths with others so that they too may come into an international spiritual family, who all believe the same things.

This is who we are...... Jehovah's Witnesses BROADCASTING

Last edited:

Sakeenah

To be part of Islam a person has to :
-believe and testify that there's none worthy of worship except God and not worship any partners besides God. So a Muslim accepts only One God with no partner sharing in any way His Being, Powers and Attributes.
- They also have to believe that muhammad is the last messenger.

-Believe and follow the 5 pillars of Islam and 6 pillars of faith

A person can enter Islam alone in privacy, or he/she may do so in the presence of others. This is done by saying the shahaada( testimony of faith)
"I bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worship except the One God, and I bear witness that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the Servant and final Messenger of God."

allfoak

Alchemist

My religion is a madman's religion.
I totally identify with the madman in the allegory of Plato's cave.
So that would be it.
To be a part of what i do one must climb out of the cave.