• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it take to be part of your religion?

Reggie Miller

It is true that Christianity is divided up into different denominations. However, what we all agree on is:

John 3
16“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18“He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19“This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20“For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21“But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.”

If you simply believe in the gospel you have life. If you do not you do not. It really is this simple.

allfoak

Alchemist
I wonder if the people in the shadows where the ones who were blinded and gave up going out of the cave but didn't want to be changed up again so they stayed in the shadows.
Many are called to leave but few make it out.
And yes there is a difference between those in the shadows and those still chained to the wall.
The Bible calls them prison and outer darkness respectively.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Nothing at all is required of you, to worship in an Anglican church. everyone is welcome.
However to be a member You must be Baptised.
If you are baptised (or chrismated) you may also take communion.
How you chose to go from there is up to you.
There is no "Requirement" to be Confirmed or even accept the Creed.
A surprisingly large number of Anglicans never "Join" the church.

Most Anglican churches require people to attend worship, for a number of weeks, before they can be married by the church.

This is something we had a recent thread about in regards to Christianity, and something we hear a lot when discussing groups like Catholics, Mormons, and JWs, but what about your religion? In your personal opinion, what does it take for a person to be part of your faith? Which beliefs do they have to have, which ideas must they subscribe to for them to be able to say they are of that faith? Are there any rites of passage required to enter it (like an oath or ceremony)? Finally, for those of you in more organized religions, is there any difference between the "official" qualifications and what you personally believe they should be?

Note: Please do not start fights or long theological debates. This is a discussion section, not a debate one. I'm genuinely curious what you all have to say about this! :)
Mine? Simple
A functional BS filter

An ongoing desire to be more than you currently are.

An attraction to adversity and a willingness to undergo adversity.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Mine? Simple
A functional BS filter

An ongoing desire to be more than you currently are.

An attraction to adversity and a willingness to undergo adversity.

Mine is very similar. A desire and natural instinct to seek after the mysteries of your own choosing as it relates to the Truth of your own Being.

An iron willed determination to become more than just the sum of your parts, and a dedication to become the most complete and supreme manifestation of your own Higher Self.

Talmai

This is something we had a recent thread about in regards to Christianity, and something we hear a lot when discussing groups like Catholics, Mormons, and JWs, but what about your religion? In your personal opinion, what does it take for a person to be part of your faith? Which beliefs do they have to have, which ideas must they subscribe to for them to be able to say they are of that faith? Are there any rites of passage required to enter it (like an oath or ceremony)? Finally, for those of you in more organized religions, is there any difference between the "official" qualifications and what you personally believe they should be?

For a person to be part of Christianity according to the Western Catholic tradition they must believe the articles of the Apostles' Creed and be baptized with water in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. The mode of their baptism can be affusion, aspersion, or immersion. Infants can become members as well through their parent(s) or guardian(s). The baptism should be performed by a pastor. However, in the case of an emergency anybody can perform it.

To be a Lutheran one has to of course be a Christian according to the Western Catholic tradition. Moreover, one should agree with basic Lutheran principles such as justification by faith alone and whatever they might learn from Luther's Small Catechism or even the Augsburg Confession.

For me there is no difference between official qualifications and what I think they should be.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In your personal opinion, what does it take for a person to be part of your faith? Which beliefs do they have to have, which ideas must they subscribe to for them to be able to say they are of that faith? Are there any rites of passage required to enter it (like an oath or ceremony)? Finally, for those of you in more organized religions, is there any difference between the "official" qualifications and what you personally believe they should be?

'In your personal opinion' - I can't speak for other Hindus.
-They have to be able to declare, "I am a Hindu." - same as on these forums, in order to participate in the DIRS
- no rights of passage are necessary
- belief in dharma, and not holding beliefs that are primary beliefs of other religions. That makes them members of those religions, and I don't think you can be in Hinduism and other religions at the same time.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Note: Please do not start fights or long theological debates. This is a discussion section, not a debate one. I'm genuinely curious what you all have to say about this! :)

Firstly as Baha'is we must accept that there is only one God and His latest Manifestation Baha'u'llah and His Covenant which includes His System. Also we must accept accept Krishna, Buddha, Muhammad, Moses, Zoroaster, Christ and the Bab the Forerunner of our Faith. These are the very basic obligatory beliefs but there are the principles such as the unity of all religions and the unity of mankind and progressive Revelation.

We must accept all humanity as equal. There is no concept of heathen or infidel in the Bahá'í Faith. The atheists may be a better Baha'i than a person who calls himself a Bahá'í. We are told our beliefs are proven by our deeds not words. A Bahá'í shall be known by his deeds.

cataway

For JW's its a matter of learning all we can about what the Bible teaches in the most important aspects of Christianity before making a commitment and being baptized. We view Baptism as a vow made to God to uphold the teachings of his son. It is a symbolic death to a former life course and a rising to do the will of God first in all things. This is why you cannot "join" Jehovah's Witnesses.....you have to choose to become one, and this needs qualifications because every single one of Jehovah's Witnesses is an ordained minister of the Kingdom.

Some of the basic fundamentals of Christianity are.....

1. Who God is.
2. Who Jesus is.
3 What God's first purpose for creation was.
4. What salvation is and how to achieve it.
5. What the Kingdom of God is and how it fits in with his first purpose.
6. How the Kingdom "comes" and what it will achieve.
7. What happens when we die.
8. The real meaning of heaven and hell.
9. It is dedicating oneself to God unreservedly in prayer and then doing our best to live up to that commitment for the rest of our lives.
10. It is also understanding our commitment to share Bible truths with others so that they too may come into an international spiritual family, who all believe the same things.

This is who we are...... Jehovah's Witnesses BROADCASTING
if i may add
. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”—John 13:34, 35.