• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean?

PureX

Veteran Member
@PureX

Gut feeling can be explained biologically and psychologically.
That does not negate it's possible divinity. This is my point. You are assuming that if you can understand an experience by any other means, then it's "different from" a divine experience, i.e., it is not divine a divine experience.

This is WHY you're an atheist ... because you believe this.
Many people who believe god talks to them say it's not either of those two but it sounds the same gut feeling and inner voice despite the context differences.

Are they wrong?
They are theists. So for them the experience is both real (i.e., physical/psychological/intuitive) AND is divine (of God). They perceive no differentiation, or need for such differentiation, as you do.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
so you're basically re-enforcing the idea of telepathy? that something is telepathically speaking to someone from afar?

I don't know. That's why I asked the OP question. To those who this is appropriate (those who believe in entities), how do they know they exist and what method or way can they tell that they do whether it be through conversation, sight, or otherwise.

PureX

Veteran Member
When someone describes god's communication, a lot of people avoid comparing it to biological and psychological causes which gut feelings and inner dialogues can be explained. So, going off that common notion the difference between spiritual and material (I guess), how do you think "they" differentiate the two?
"They" don't. They experience the "real" as "divine" because they believe the divine is real. You don't, because you don't believe the divine is real.

Experience is not just what happens to us, it's also what we make of it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You're changing the tone and context of the OP/conversation.
That does not negate it's possible divinity. This is my point. You are assuming that if you can understand an experience by any other means, then it's "different from" a divine experience, i.e., it is not divine a divine experience.

This is WHY you're an atheist ... because you believe this.

With that said. Yes. I am assuming that and asking to those this is appropriate (who believe god/entity or deities are separate than the person), how do they know and what communication do they have with this entity to know it exists.

My first sentence is because I do not believe deities exist and when I think of deities, I think of Greek mythology.

What you're saying has nothing to do with how I am an atheist and the nature of that disbelief. Not all atheists define disbelief in god's exist the same. So, you can't put us in a boat-with that said, this OP has nothing to do with atheism.

They are theists. So for them the experience is both real (i.e., physical/psychological/intuitive) AND is divine (of God). They perceive no differentiation, or need for such differentiation, as you do.

Okay. But I'm talking to those who do believe there is a separation whether it be Jehovah, Odin, whoever, not those who do not.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
"They" don't. They experience the "real" as "divine" because they believe the divine is real. You don't, because you don't believe the divine is real.

Experience is not just what happens to us, it's also what we make of it.

The OP doesn't apply to you then. Some people do. Some people don't.

There's no universal definition of god (we already talked about this). So, if you don't believe in the separation and can't answer with insight of those who do, it's probably not something you can answer.

Edit. To give you better insight, my mother who does not believe god exists, do believe in spirits. She said she has seen them, experience them, her and her co-workers, her family members, and so forth. So, I assume many people do believe god is an entity (even if you don't). To those who do, the question still applies.

PureX

Veteran Member
The OP doesn't apply to you then. Some people do. Some people don't.

There's no universal definition of god (we already talked about this). So, if you don't believe in the separation and can't answer with insight of those who do, it's probably not something you can answer.
I am answering your question.

If I envision "God" as "wetness", I "experience God" every time it rains.

If I envision the human experience of God as being that "still, small, voice within", then every time I experience that "still, small, voice within" I will experience it as God. Because experience and perception are intrinsically interlaced. Each defines the other as being what it "is" (to us). The 'believer' knows it's God when they hear it because they already believe that's how God makes Itself known to them. YOU don't know this because you believe that so long as you can apply ANY OTHER EXPLANATION to the experience, then it's not God.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
YOU don't know this because you believe that so long as you can apply ANY OTHER EXPLANATION to the experience, then it's not God.

I read up until this. Either you're talking to the wrong atheist or you got some bias against atheists that I think you need to scratch before conversing about existence of god and seeing in other people's shoes about its existence as a separate entity not a feeling, instinct, experience, so have you (as mentioned in my OP).

Vee

Premium Member
What brought you to that conclusion and how did this actual deity (not feeling, love, energy, or anything like that) communicate with you?

A lot of people say they hear god as a "whisper". They "just know." It's instinct. But do you believe there is an entity behind that instinct (etc) if it's not the source itself?

For me it was a process that took years. I come from a family with mixed beliefs, going from Catholics to atheists and a few others in the midst. They are all very enthusiastic about how right they are and how wrong everyone else is, so you can imagine how our family gatherings ended up every time someone started a conversation about politics :rolleyes:
Needless to say that I grew up very confused and not knowing what to believe. My first mission as an adult was to figure out if I actually believed in God or not. Having an analytical mind, I did my lists of pros and cons. I came to the conclusion that I have a lot more reasons to believe in God than not. Can I prove I'm right? No. Faith doesn't work like that, but I have my convictions and it's been a few years. So far I haven't found anything solid enough to make me change my mind.
While I believe the Bible is the word of God, I've never felt any physical, direct contact from Him, in the form of a whisper, vision, or anything like that. I pray and I hope that my prayers are heard.

PureX

Veteran Member
I read up until this. Either you're talking to the wrong atheist or you got some bias against atheists that I think you need to scratch before conversing about existence of god and seeing in other people's shoes about its existence as a separate entity not a feeling, instinct, experience, so have you (as mentioned in my OP).
Retract the "you" part, then, and address the idea by itself. There is a reason that people experience God in their lives. And that reason is that they have come to believe that God is 'real', and thereby can and does show up in their 'real life' experiences.

There is also a reason that other people do not experience God in their lives. And that reason is that they have come to believe that God either does not exist, or exists as something other than, and apart from, the real world that they live in and experience.

What we believe tends to define and determine how we understand what we experience. And this is just as true for the atheist as it is for the theist, as it is for anyone else. It's simply how the human brain works. I'm not saying any one perspective is better or worse, here. I'm simply saying that we tend to define our experiences according to what we expect them to be. And in so doing, we tend to "bring them into being".

Eyes to See

Okay. I'm an atheist (I do not believe deities exist). When I think of deities, I think of Greek Mythology, Hinduism even. So, I want to know from those who believe deities/entities exist (whether it be Jehovah, Ordin, whomever).

To those with whom these questions are appropriate,how do you know they exist as actual entities?

What brought you to that conclusion and how did this actual deity (not feeling, love, energy, or anything like that) communicate with you?

A lot of people say they hear god as a "whisper". They "just know." It's instinct. But do you believe there is an entity behind that instinct (etc) if it's not the source itself?

I'm just setting to make some pizzas when I read your OP. I don't have a lot of time but I would like to take some to talk with you about your questions. What I can say is that I have seen God in many ways. His hand in providing us his word in the Bible. Seeing how it affects people for good when they apply it. How it answers all of life's perplexing questions with satisfying answers, such as who is God, why he created us, what is the purpose of life, why he permits suffering, what is the hope for the future, among other things.

When you learn who God is and what is he has done and is doing and learn to pray to him and then watch as he answers your prayers you draw even closer to him.

It is a relationship that is cultivated and that grows with time just as with anyone. But I can tell you this. What I've learned from serving Jehovah God the hearer of prayer. He is a very kind and humble God. He is always ready to listen to anyone that is sincere at heart. He opposes haughty people, but he acts in favor of people who are humble like him.

And when God answers your prayers it draws you even closer to him. A commenter above me said they pray to God and "hope" he hears. There comes a point when you know God hears your prayers and answers them and he shows you he cares about you and is real. Then you actually have faith based on solid evidence that has been given by God himself!

People in positions of power usually abuse it, even if it is just a parent, a teacher, a police officer, or high officials, even governors, kings and Presidents. They can be aloof, insincere, hypocritical, tyrannical, power hungery, arrogant, haughty. God is just the opposite. He is the only person of authority that I have never felt the slightest tinge of abuse in any form. Just a gentle loyal love, a humble patience that draws me to him and wants me to be like him.

I try and read the Bible every day to keep the mind of God on things. To imitate him in dealing with people. Showing empathy, compassion, patience, mercy, forgiveness, and love.

What a wonderful God Jehovah is!

I will praise you, O Jehovah, with all my heart;
I will tell about all your wonderful works.
I will rejoice and exult in you;
I will sing praises to your name, O Most High.

-Psalm 9:1, 2.

Last edited:

syo

Okay. I'm an atheist (I do not believe deities exist). When I think of deities, I think of Greek Mythology, Hinduism even. So, I want to know from those who believe deities/entities exist (whether it be Jehovah, Ordin, whomever).

To those with whom these questions are appropriate,how do you know they exist as actual entities?

Pagan gods appear in dreams or in hallucinations. They are real entities because they are immortal.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
For me it was a process that took years. I come from a family with mixed beliefs, going from Catholics to atheists and a few others in the midst. They are all very enthusiastic about how right they are and how wrong everyone else is, so you can imagine how our family gatherings ended up every time someone started a conversation about politics :rolleyes:
Needless to say that I grew up very confused and not knowing what to believe. My first mission as an adult was to figure out if I actually believed in God or not. Having an analytical mind, I did my lists of pros and cons. I came to the conclusion that I have a lot more reasons to believe in God than not. Can I prove I'm right? No. Faith doesn't work like that, but I have my convictions and it's been a few years. So far I haven't found anything solid enough to make me change my mind.
While I believe the Bible is the word of God, I've never felt any physical, direct contact from Him, in the form of a whisper, vision, or anything like that. I pray and I hope that my prayers are heard.

Nice. Thank you. How would you define god according to the bible-an entity? A feeling?

Some speak of it as an entity and others experience his love and call it love. While they mix the two up, I notice there are many to which the latter is the dominate-is love. But I wonder if many thing love is an entity or comes from one.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Retract the "you" part, then, and address the idea by itself. There is a reason that people experience God in their lives. And that reason is that they have come to believe that God is 'real', and thereby can and does show up in their 'real life' experiences.

I know that already.

My question to those who believe god as an entity, how do they know and what makes up their decision and confirmation it exists.

There is also a reason that other people do not experience God in their lives. And that reason is that they have come to believe that God either does not exist, or exists as something other than, and apart from, the real world that they live in and experience.

Which is a very clean, clear cut definition of those who do not believe in god because they (one of many reasons) do not experience god-and call it god in order to say they believe in it.

Many people who do not believe god exists, do have the same experiences theists do but they do not call it god (we bee through this).

What we believe tends to define and determine how we understand what we experience. And this is just as true for the atheist as it is for the theist, as it is for anyone else. It's simply how the human brain works. I'm not saying any one perspective is better or worse, here. I'm simply saying that we tend to define our experiences according to what we expect them to be. And in so doing, we tend to "bring them into being".

But my question in the OP wasn't what atheists belief and experience. I notice you really don't understand that too much. It's to those who believe god exists (theist) and who believe god is an entity and how they drew that conclusion.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm just setting to make some pizzas when I read your OP. I don't have a lot of time but I would like to take some to talk with you about your questions. What I can say is that I have seen God in many ways. His hand in providing us his word in the Bible. Seeing how it affects people for good when they apply it. How it answers all of life's perplexing questions with satisfying answers, such as who is God, why he created us, what is the purpose of life, why he permits suffering, what is the hope for the future, among other things.

He as an entity? Instinct? feeling?

When you learn who God is and what is he has done and is doing and learn to pray to him and then watch as he answers your prayers you draw even closer to him.

I know what christians believe who god is.... but what do they believe god is? An entity? Feeling?

It is a relationship that is cultivated and that grows with time just as with anyone. But I can tell you this. What I've learned from serving Jehovah God the hearer of prayer. He is a very kind and humble God. He is always ready to listen to anyone that is sincere at heart. He opposes haughty people, but he acts in favor of people who are humble like him.

Yes...

And when God answers your prayers it draws you even closer to him. A commenter above me said they pray to God and "hope" he hears. There comes a point when you know God hears your prayers and answers them and he shows you he cares about you and is real. Then you actually have faith based on solid evidence that has been given by God himself!

Does he answer in a feeling? A whisper? Is that how you know he exists? If so, are these the source or does what you say come from a source (such as an entity)?

People in positions of power usually abuse it, even if it is just a parent, a teacher, a police officer, or high officials, even governors, kings and Presidents. They can be aloof, insincere, hypocritical, tyrannical, power hungery, arrogant, haughty. God is just the opposite. He is the only person of authority that I have never felt the slightest tinge of abuse in any form. Just a gentle loyal love, a humble patience that draws me to him and wants me to be like him.

When I think of gods, I think of Greek mythology. Many gods in Greek mythology are written as though some have authority over others. Is that the same as Jehovah? An entity or a man with godly powers with authority and edict?

I try and read the Bible every day to keep the mind of God on things. To imitate him in dealing with people. Showing empathy, compassion, patience, mercy, forgiveness, and love.

I read the bible and it reads as those god is like a god in mythology (especially with the roman influence). Though, on RF I get the impression from Judaism it isn't quite like that. But I don't know if they speak of god as if he does and says things. I know christians do.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Why I think life is conceptually created.

Not supremely, not ideally.

Attachments

• Is Life Conceptually Created_.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member
Nice. Thank you. How would you define god according to the bible-an entity? A feeling?

Some speak of it as an entity and others experience his love and call it love. While they mix the two up, I notice there are many to which the latter is the dominate-is love. But I wonder if many thing love is an entity or comes from one.

According to the Bible God is a real entity, the creator of everything, including us.
The Bible says that "God is love" (1 John 4:8) in the sense that love is God's dominant quality and it's a gift to us . Christians have an obligation to love one another. 1 John 4:11 says: “Beloved ones, if this is how God loved us, then we are ourselves under obligation to love one another.”
I know some people say that God is a feeling or something you have in your heart, but that's not at all what the Bible says. Numerous verses of the Bible identify God as a real spiritual being, starting with Genesis 1:1 where is says that "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". Feelings don't create anything.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
According to the Bible God is a real entity, the creator of everything, including us.
The Bible says that "God is love" (1 John 4:8) in the sense that love is God's dominant quality and it's a gift to us . Christians have an obligation to love one another. 1 John 4:11 says: “Beloved ones, if this is how God loved us, then we are ourselves under obligation to love one another.”
I know some people say that God is a feeling or something you have in your heart, but that's not at all what the Bible says. Numerous verses of the Bible identify God as a real spiritual being, starting with Genesis 1:1 where is says that "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". Feelings don't create anything.

Thank you. This is what I was getting at in my OP. I was wondering if other people see god as an entity as well since most say its a feeling, experience, something abstract.

Entity as in like a ghost figure?

PureX

Veteran Member
IBut my question in the OP wasn't what atheists belief and experience. I notice you really don't understand that too much. It's to those who believe god exists (theist) and who believe god is an entity and how they drew that conclusion.
They chose to believe it because they wanted to, or because that's what they were taught and they didn't question it, or because they needed to believe it for one reason or another. And because they believed it, they experienced it that way. And now that they've experience it that way, they have reason to keep believing it. Acting on faith has a way of calling what we've hoped for into being. It's why faith is such a powerful tool.

It's not magic, and it's not rocket science. It's just human nature. :)

Vee

Premium Member
Entity as in like a ghost figure?

The Bible defines God as being a spiritual being, without a physical body, which I think is one of the reasons so many people find it hard to believe He exists. It's much easier to believe in something you can see.