• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do in Heaven?

may

john313 said:
offer to give up your spot in heaven to go back to earth and show others the straight path so they may go to heaven also?
.....after trying out the golden toilets for a while of course. its hard to pass up something like that.
not sure who you are answering but i am not going to heaven my hope is to live on a paradise earth which will take a 1000 years to get back to paradise condtions ,just shows how out of line the earth is now or rather the people on the earth , they are ruining it but no worries revelation 11;18 tells us that God will bring to ruin those ruining the earth
As regards the heavens, to Jehovah the heavens belong but the earth he has given to the sons of men......... psalm 115;16

(Psalm 11:4) Jehovah is in his holy temple. Jehovah—in the heavens is his throne. His own eyes behold, his own beaming eyes examine the sons of men

Jack E Martling

Meesheltx said:
For those of you who believe in an afterlife and an actual place where souls go, what do you believe that it is like? Is its an actual other world where spirits interact with eachother? Are there physical attributes to it? Are there any activities other then worship? I would hope so...I wouldn't want to believe that God made heaven just so spirits could spend all eternity worshipping him. As humans, we have so much potential to do great and wonderful things, I would hate to see that wasted on praise rather than helping somebody/something. Anyway...just curious what kind of Heaven is in everyone's minds.
I've often pondered this and my main question is "would heaven be the ultimate way to spend your after life if you didn't design it?" I mean my ideal heaven would have some stuff in it that the Bible wouldn't look upon to kindly. :(

Jack E Martling

Jack E Martling said:
I've often pondered this and my main question is "would heaven be the ultimate way to spend your after life if you didn't design it?" I mean my ideal heaven would have some stuff in it that the Bible wouldn't look upon to kindly. :(
Let me clarify a bit because what I posted don't sound to good.

As a human being I'm am not perfect and to me heaven would not be heaven unless I could partake of "the pleasures of the flesh" on a regular basis.

I always pictured heaven as ultimate bliss and in order to reach Nirvana you need some of that.

may

Jack E Martling said:

As a human being I'm am not perfect and to me heaven would not be heaven unless I could partake of "the pleasures of the flesh" on a regular basis.

I always pictured heaven as ultimate bliss and in order to reach Nirvana you need some of that.
trouble is flesh and blood do not get to be in heaven 1 corinthians 15;50 but for those who will inherit the earth the bible says
You are opening your hand and satisfying the desire of every living thing...psalm 145;16...:)

may

NoName said:
Flesh and blood means "sin" not real flesh and blood.
yes its true that flesh is often used in the bibleto represent man in his inperfect state , but in 1 corinthians 15 ;50 54 it is talking about physical bodies and spiritual bodies

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
michel said:
I hope I will see all those I love who have died; that we be reuinited. I'm not sure if God has a playroom, or a work rota though!:D

As Terry has said, the principle is being with God; after that, who cares ?

Me too Michel, me too........

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Meesheltx said:
For those of you who believe in an afterlife and an actual place where souls go, what do you believe that it is like? Is its an actual other world where spirits interact with eachother? Are there physical attributes to it? Are there any activities other then worship? I would hope so...I wouldn't want to believe that God made heaven just so spirits could spend all eternity worshipping him. As humans, we have so much potential to do great and wonderful things, I would hate to see that wasted on praise rather than helping somebody/something. Anyway...just curious what kind of Heaven is in everyone's minds.
Heaven is the wonderful place for all those who believe in God and humble themselves in worshipping him and do good deeds and avoid the bad ones. Paradise is the promise of God for those who believe in Him and obey Him. In paradise the test will be over, there is no test, no pain, no suffering, no illness, no sadness, no disappointment... there will be just perfection... there will total happiness and bliss and peace for eternity. Paradise is beyond imagination, it is a place that no eye has ever seen and no ear has ever heard and no heart has ever perceived. There will be no prayers, no fasting... for all those orders were a test for us to see who will obey God's commands and who will not.
All the dwellers of Paradise will be on the same age (about 32 years old), and all will have the same beauty, the perfect beauty.
May our dear God make Paradise our abode!! Amen

Peace

john313

warrior-poet
may said:
not sure who you are answering but i am not going to heaven my hope is to live on a paradise earth which will take a 1000 years to get back to paradise condtions ,just shows how out of line the earth is now or rather the people on the earth , they are ruining it but no worries revelation 11;18 tells us that God will bring to ruin those ruining the earth
As regards the heavens, to Jehovah the heavens belong but the earth he has given to the sons of men......... psalm 115;16

(Psalm 11:4) Jehovah is in his holy temple. Jehovah—in the heavens is his throne. His own eyes behold, his own beaming eyes examine the sons of men

i was answering the initial question: "What do you do in heaven?"

AtheistAJ

Meesheltx said:
I wouldn't want to believe that God made heaven just so spirits could spend all eternity worshipping him. As humans, we have so much potential to do great and wonderful things, I would hate to see that wasted on praise rather than helping somebody/something.
That's the only concept of religion anyway. If heaven did exist it would probably be no different (worshiping god as to go to an even better heaven etc.). But why to help "somebody" in particular and not humanity? What makes him better if he looks just like us? My parents created me and they're not better one bit on any significant scale.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jack E Martling said:

You cant have pleasures of the flesh in heaven.................:biglaugh:

What do you expect, a bar, a snooker hall ................? (I'm not sure I want to ask ):D

blueman

God's Warrior
Here we go thinking about ourselves again!! One thing is for sure besides the fact that we will be praising God forever and ever, you won't have the same self-centered mind-set you have now. You will have a renewed mind centered on the one who gave you everlasting life and a new body to go with it. Other than that, the mind cannot even fathom what Heaven will be like. for those who enter it's gates. :)

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Hello May

When you said:

As one of JW i only stick to what the bible tells me about those who will be going to heaven...
Interesting. So it's safe to assume then that you have never followed the counsel or scriptural instructions lent by JW ministers or missionaries; instead trusting to your singular interpretation of of what the bible "tells you"? Odd that you would outright dismiss any and all "non-JW" exegetical analysis/commentary on specified chapter and verse quotations, since JW does not typically ascribe to a literalist interpretation of scripture. If scripture is subject to interpretation, then it follows that (at least some) researched and studied examinations of same are merited consideration as erudite and instructional, does it not?

...and the bible tells me that is what these ones who go to heaven will be doing...
Not from the C&V quoted examples you've cited so far. The verses you have provided only account for what Jehovah will "do" (or cause to occur at "the end"), and what "titles" ("kings and priests" - Rev. 5:10) all those ascendant to Heaven may proudly claim on their everlasting business cards.

To (reference and) inquire once more, just what does a heavenly "king" or "priest" do?

Can you not, or will you not, provide answer to such critical questions? Is "I don't know", or "The Bible doesn't specifically say/define" somehow impossibly elusive or unobtainable in candid reply?

"...but then again the bible also tells me that it is God who chooses them, and he knows the right ones to choose, it would be those who are willing to go along with his purpose for the earth..."
It's rather obvious that the guy who invents the game gets to make the rules, and can choose to be the ultimate referee in deciding who is cheating, and who is playing fair (of course, kissing up to the referee in devoted worship is mandatory).

As to "His purpose of the earth", it seems from biblical scripture that Earth (apparently the rest of the cosmos serves no "purpose" whatsoever) is His playing field to test each player's ability (or willingness) to play the game of mortal existence according to His rules and demands (This sort of reminds me of the boss that sits in the shadows and spies on his employees, waiting to catch them doing something wrong, or questioning the policies/choices of the boss himself. "Aha! J'accuse! You screwed up and failed my double-secret test! You're fired!").

If there's any other biblical "purpose" for the Earth (other than earn a ticket to Heaven or Hell), I've yet to see it succinctly put in any meaningful, in-depth explanation.

"...and as God knows better than me or anyone else, who am i to question how God is fullfilling his purpose for the earth."
If you believe that He "knows better" than you, then indeed there is no need of critical thinking, or review of any cause/effect phenomena. No need to interject or employ elements of reasonable doubt. God is ultimate arbiter of His own "rules" of justice- no need for witnesses, evidence, juries, or judges.

The neat thing about being human is that you are permitted to question the things that surround your existence, and even the unsubstantiated claims of existent deities and supernaturally manifested cause/effect explanations of the phenomena within the cosmos. The capacity to reason (even to - *sigh* - rationalize the existence of supernatural deities), and therefrom act upon presented questions/choices with reasonable and thoughtful answers/conclusions is what makes our species unique from all others. No one can take that away from you (unless or until you choose to throw it away yourself). Not even your God can prevent you from questioning His "purpose". Just you being you is all that is ever required.

Consider the following metaphor in providing answer to the question "What does one do in Heaven?"

You read an ad in the Jobs classifieds that claims to offer all accepted employees: ultimate non-expiring and all-encompassing benefits; a blissfully pleasant environment free from stress or worry; limitless compensation for loyalty and good works; a nice neighborhood in which to live; and no previous experience or skills necessary. You are intrigued, while noting that the ad does not specify or describe what the job actually entails. You give the provided number a call. A guy answers who claims to represent the "ultimate boss". He says his boss offers you (and if you accept, promises) a lifetime "position" in his "firm" as "head supervisor in charge of everything". Wow. Sounds really cool, but you still have a few questions...

You: "So, what would be my job description at this "firm", and what would be my responsibilities?"
Representative: "Why you'll be "head supervisor in charge of everything"!"
You: "Yeah, I got that from the ad. But what do I do as "head supervisor in charge of everything"? Whom do I supervise, and what is it that they do that requires supervision?"
Rep: "That's the great part! Everyone's a supervisor! Everyone is equal in the eyes of the boss. There's really no one to supervise! Besides, the boss takes care of everything that needs to be done now, or ever."
You: Hmmm...maybe I'll get back to that in a bit...
...I note that the ad says "a nice neighborhood". Could you elaborate on that please?"
Rep: "It's perfection itself!"
You: "OK, yeah, but really...where will I live, and what's it like?"
Rep: "You get to live with the boss himself, and all of his other chosen supervisors."
You: "And...?"
Rep: "And...what?"
You: "Let's try this from another tact. What kind of facilities and amenities are there? Is there a good school for my kids? What about local police and fire departments? Is shopping near by? Does the place have a community pool, baseball park - my kids love playing league baseball, or movie theater? How are the roads? Any good saloons?"
Rep: "Details, details. You worry too much. Didn't you hear me when I said the place was perfection itself? Trust me, you'll love it. Boss says so."
You: "So you said, yes. But his idea of "Perfection Place" and mine might differ..."
Rep: "Look. You can't possibly envision or comprehend how great it is, so giving you any details is a waste of your time and mine."
You: "Fine. Now again...about what the job itself is, and what I'm expected to do..."
Rep: "You can do whatever you want! You'll be 'head supervisor in charge of everything'!"
You: "Yeah, but so will everyone else there. What's so special about being "in charge" of essentially nothing and no one? Just sounds like a lotta nada to me. Look. I'm a cop. It's the only thing I've ever done professionally. All I know is how to be a good cop, and I know what good cops are supposed to do. Cops have responsibilities to themselves and accountabilities to those they choose to serve and protect. All I'm asking is...what are my accountabilities and responsibilities as a prospective "head supervisor in charge of everything" at your bosses firm? Can't you tell me that much?
Rep: "Obviously, you're not getting what I'm saying. Do you want to accept the boss' job offer or not? Things might go badly for you if you don't."
You: "Now what is that supposed to mean?"
Rep: "Let's just say that my boss doesn't handle rejection especially well, and he tends to exact retribution upon those that decline his offer of everlasting perfection."
You: "Oh. Well, could I speak to your boss personally before I decide then?"
Rep: "Not really, no. Generally speaking, only those he accepts get that opportunity. You might be able to get though to his son, but the same standards apply. Let's just say that he operates from a 'don't call him, he'll call you' philosophy. Just don't wait by the phone. You never know when he'll retract this exclusive job offer."
You: "Maybe I'll get back to you on that..."

john313

warrior-poet
blueman said:
Here we go thinking about ourselves again!! One thing is for sure besides the fact that we will be praising God forever and ever, you won't have the same self-centered mind-set you have now. You will have a renewed mind centered on the one who gave you everlasting life and a new body to go with it. Other than that, the mind cannot even fathom what Heaven will be like. for those who enter it's gates. :)
Peace,
i guess you did not read my answer, not everyone is self centered.;)

may

s2a said:
Hello s2a you said

Interesting. So it's safe to assume then that you have never followed the counsel or scriptural instructions lent by JW ministers or missionaries; instead trusting to your singular interpretation of of what the bible tells you...........LOL well ,as it is a well known fact that all of the millions of JW throughout the earth all believe what the bible tells us, and the bible tells all of these millions of people that 144,000 will go to heaven to rule with Jesus christ as kings and priests over the earth , and that is good enough for us ,we stick to what the bible says

To (reference and) inquire once more, just what does a heavenly "king" or "priest" do?
and they are to rule as kings over the earth...revelation 5;10..... to know that Jesus is the best king to rule ,and has already thrown the rebels out ( revelation 12;9) so as to clean up the place , seems that this rulership will work because there are no rebels in it

but they will be priests of God and of the Christ, and will rule as kings with him for the thousand years revelation 20;6........ yipee, only the best in this goverment

For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. To the abundance of the princely rule and to peace there will be no end, upon the throne of David and upon his kingdom in order to establish it firmly and to sustain it by means of justice and by means of righteousness, from now on and to time indefinite. The very zeal of Jehovah of armies will do this.....Isaiah 9;6-7.........wow now thats the kind of goverment that those who are going to heaven will be a part of , working under and along with the best ruler christ Jesus , seems christ Jesus will have it all in control , no need to question anything

If there's any other biblical "purpose" for the Earth (other than earn a ticket to Heaven or Hell), I've yet to see it succinctly put in any meaningful, in-depth explanation.............. how about what the bible tells us
But there are new heavens (rulership)and a new earth (earthly society of people)that we are awaiting according to his promise, and in these righteousness is to dwell ........2 peter;3;13

If you believe that He "knows better" than you, then indeed there is no need of critical thinking,.............. i couldnt agree more

nQUOTE]

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Hello May,

Perhaps it was unfair of me to engage you in debate regarding your claims (but to be equally fair, it was you that wandered into aspects of "debate", versus mere "discussion". When a pardner says "draw", you do not initially inquire whether or not the prospective gunfighter actually knows how to handle their weapon, or whether they've actually learned to fire it in an efficacious manner. I will not blithely gun down a prospective debate adversary that brandishes nothing more that their staff of righteous certitude).

It is apparent to me that you are either ill-prepared to offer relevant answer, or are hamstrung by your earnest piety and sincerity of beliefs to indulge any cogent or salient exposition upon the question at hand.

Your reassertion of previously quoted scripture utterly ignores/evades my previous illustrations that said quotations DO NOT answer what someone in Heaven actually does in Heaven. Your evangelistic efforts are notable (even sweet), but do not begin to address or answer the very simple question of "What does one DO in Heaven?".

After lending you ample opportunity to answer the question at hand, it is now most apparent to me that you do not possess either the experience or capacity to render an informed and ingenuous reply that is specifically germane to the question itself.

I will rest assured that you are confident in your convictions, despite your inablity/unwillingness to acknowledge your glaring insufficiency in provision of pointed examples of what someone does in Heaven.

Undoubtedly, you remain of the notion that you have righteously answered, with all requisite detail, supplanted by adequate and compelling Scriptural testament of providential "truths"...an "answer". You have not.

Since you steadfastly espouse the essential position of "God said it. I believe it. That settles it." - I deem you a "true believer" - and no amount of reason, critical evaluation of merit/substance, or logic...will motivate you to reflect upon your entrenched faith.

So be it.

I leave you to the certitude of your convictions, absent any substantiative or relevant support/substantiation in reply.

Peace,
s2a