• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Stellify

StarChild
I'm reading Great Expectations for the first time. I've shied away from Dickens for years because I hated Pickwick Papers and only just got through Oliver Twist. I'm actually really enjoying this one, and Pip's character seems so real.

That book was the bane of my 14-year-old existence lol. I'm an avid reader, and I love almost every book I come across, but...just couldn't get through that one. Maybe I was too young. :shrug:

The story line was good, though.
Unlike Confederacy of Dunces. Ugh. Bane of my 13-year-old existence :cover:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
That book was the bane of my 14-year-old existence lol. I'm an avid reader, and I love almost every book I come across, but...just couldn't get through that one. Maybe I was too young. :shrug:

The story line was good, though.
Unlike Confederacy of Dunces. Ugh. Bane of my 13-year-old existence :cover:

Maybe it is an age thing. Like I said, I haven't touched Dickens since my early teens, but my first attempt at reconciliation in my twenties seems to be going splendidly. :)

Then again, I should try Moby Dick to fully test this theory. I've never gotten past the first chapter, and lord knows I've tried many many times.

Stellify

StarChild
Maybe it is an age thing. Like I said, I haven't touched Dickens since my early teens, but my first attempt at reconciliation in my twenties seems to be going splendidly. :)

Then again, I should try Moby Dick to fully test this theory. I've never gotten past the first chapter, and lord knows I've tried many many times.

Ah, I read Moby Dick when I was twenty. I rather enjoyed it, although it was a little much to read in a week (class requirements).
I liked it better than some of the other books in that class, anyways....(Mansfield Park was too girly, and Go Down, Moses was just...Faulkner.)
Although Crime and Punishment was AMAZING!!! :D :D

I still have Great Expectations somewhere, though. I'll have to give it another try :D

J Bryson

I finished off Guards, Guards! by Terry Pratchett last night, and I'm currently reading his Men At Arms. Not my first time through on either work, but his books hold up well to repeated readings.

Alceste

Vagabond
I just finished ?.?. Dalquist's The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, now I'm reading La's Orchestra Saves the World by Alexander McCall-Smith. Both highly recommended.

Alceste

Vagabond
I finished off Guards, Guards! by Terry Pratchett last night, and I'm currently reading his Men At Arms. Not my first time through on either work, but his books hold up well to repeated readings.

Those are good! My 3 favourite Pratchett books (so far) are The Abominable Regiment, Small Gods, and the Wee Free Men.

J Bryson

Monstrous Regiment is good, Small Gods is one of the most wickedly insightful works on religion I've read, and I haven't had a chance to check out Wee Free Men yet.

Alceste

Vagabond
Finished La's Orchestra, then read Neil Gaiman's Coraline and Arthur C Clark's Rendezvous with Raman. Now moving on to Waiting for the Wild Beasts to Vote by Ahmadou Kouroum.

Alceste

Vagabond
Monstrous Regiment is good, Small Gods is one of the most wickedly insightful works on religion I've read, and I haven't had a chance to check out Wee Free Men yet.

It's pretty good. I like his take on witches. It isn't a discworld novel though - I believe it's a standalone, but there may be a couple similar or related novels.

iloveislam

Muslim
islam.jpg

J Bryson

It's pretty good. I like his take on witches. It isn't a discworld novel though - I believe it's a standalone, but there may be a couple similar or related novels.

Tiffany Aching was featured in The Art Of Discworld, and the Mac Nac Feegle were a pivotal part of Carpe Juglulum, though.

gnomon

Germania - Tacitus
Interesting just to read his descriptions of the various peoples we lump together under Germanic.