• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Were Jesus and Muhammad insane?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I'm referring to the claims that they performed miracles.

What makes you SO sure that the laws of nature can NEVER be broken by ANYONE? The vast majority of human beings would find it absolutely impossible 2 fly a jumbo jet but that doesn't mean it is impossible for everyone.

Of course, the REAL miracle is to transform negative thoughts & emotions into positive ones.

Cheers.

David T

Premium Member
I don't understand the post. You say Jesus is fiction. I will absolutely agree with you. Then you ask "is he insane? He is a fictional character in book not a real person a cartoon get it?" It's not a literal report get it? apparently not.. since you insist on cartoon (HE ISNT REAL)literalism (HE IS MENTALLY ILL) as being your reality I am afraid that makes you in religious terms either a young earth creationist, or southern baptist, or worse a scientologist or all of them. Which really is just NORMAL Or muggle in jk Rowling world.

I personally don't think neither Jesus nor Muhammad ever existed, but if they did wouldn't they be considered lunatics or having a delusional disorder, or grandiose delusions that occur in people suffering from a wide range of psychiatric diseases, including schizophrenia. These patients are characterized by bizarre beliefs that one is omnipotent or powerful. These delusions typically are religious and supernatural.

So considering the preposterous things they said, wouldn't they be considered insane?

I'm sure I'll get hate for this but, IMO Jesus as described in the bible obviously didn't exist and is a mythological character like Hercules and Thor. Muhammad was a real man and not insane, he was an extremely successful conman/cult leader.

Cobol

Code Jockey
I don't understand the post. You say Jesus is fiction. I will absolutely agree with you. Then you ask "is he insane? He is a fictional character in book not a real person a cartoon get it?" It's not a literal report get it? apparently not.. since you insist on cartoon (HE ISNT REAL)literalism (HE IS MENTALLY ILL) as being your reality I am afraid that makes you in religious terms either a young earth creationist, or southern baptist, or worse a scientologist or all of them. Which really is just NORMAL Or muggle in jk Rowling world.

I don't know what to make of this other than meaningless nonsense.

It's a little funny though.

sovietchild

It's Islamic law in the Quran, from what I've read.

Shouldn't you know this?

Okay, but why is it a sin?

Did you know that Mecca's pagans labeled Muhammad as insane person? According to you, who is the real insane person here? People who worship idols or people who promote the idea that the idols are useless?

arthra

Baha'i
I personally don't think neither Jesus nor Muhammad ever existed, but if they did wouldn't they be considered lunatics or having a delusional disorder, or grandiose delusions that occur in people suffering from a wide range of psychiatric diseases, including schizophrenia. These patients are characterized by bizarre beliefs that one is omnipotent or powerful. These delusions typically are religious and supernatural.
So considering the preposterous things they said, wouldn't they be considered insane?

Trying to diagnose a figure that is say over a thousand years ago is well to say the least problematic and not that reliable.
Say what you will about "delusions" but from the lives of Jesus and Muhammad you do have evidence of a sustained leadership and awareness of societal issues...
People who have schizophrenic episodes rarely if ever from what I've seen show much organization or leadership abilities.

I'll post a few problems that come up when you're trying to diagnose say figures like Jesus or Muhammad:

Retrospective diagnosis is practised by medical historians, general historians and the media with varying degrees of scholarship.

At its worst it may become "little more than a game, with ill-defined rules and little academic credibility."[2]

The process often requires "translating between linguistic and conceptual worlds separated by several centuries",[4] and assumes our modern disease concepts and categories are privileged.[4] Crude attempts at retrospective diagnosis fail to be sensitive to historical context, may treat historical and religious records as scientific evidence, or ascribe pathology to behaviours that require none.[5]

Retrospective diagnosis - Wikipedia

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I don't know about Jesus but I believe that Muhammad was certainly mad, but like you I don't really believe they existed, well at least how they were portrayed in scripture.

sovietchild

@Cobol Do you think Prophet Muhammad had problems with socializing?

I read somewhere that he made loved to his wive many times a day/night. How can one with anxiety issues make love to a women many times a day without any drugs?

Cobol

Code Jockey
I read somewhere that he made loved to his wive many times a day. How can one with anxiety issues make love to a women many times a day without any drugs?

I don't know where your going with this, but sex is used as anxiety treatment, and people do have sex many times a day, from my own experience without drugs.

Last edited: