• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Were Jesus and Muhammad insane?

I personally don't think neither Jesus nor Muhammad ever existed, but if they did wouldn't they be considered lunatics or having a delusional disorder, or grandiose delusions that occur in people suffering from a wide range of psychiatric diseases, including schizophrenia. These patients are characterized by bizarre beliefs that one is omnipotent or powerful. These delusions typically are religious and supernatural.

So considering the preposterous things they said, wouldn't they be considered insane?
I personally see more evidence for allegorical/mythological Jesus than any historical one, yet the idea that muhhumad didn't exist is new. There is a metric ****ton of historical data on that guy.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm definitely no mad. The article does state that religion and delusional psychiatric illness go together.
You just don't like this topic because of your delusional beliefs. Don't participate in this thread if you can't handle it.
No, it doesn't state that. Just keep proving that you didn't bother to read the article, and still haven't!

You're the one getting uppity. I'm just telling you what the article you posted and didn't read says. Lol. By the way, I have mental health issues and am in treatment for them, but delusions aren't one of my issues. Don't act like you're my doctor, caseworker or therapist, because you're not. My problem with this thread, besides its overall stupidity, is that it's insulting and anti-scientific. You haven't the faintest clue on this subject. I also plan to have a career in mental health (as in, getting a Ph.D eventually, not playing around online and randomly Googling stuff, like you), so this topic is one that I'm very knowledgeable about.

Cobol

Code Jockey
No, it doesn't state that. Just keep proving that you didn't bother to read the article, and still haven't!

I have, your obviously not comprehending what it said.

so this topic is one that I'm very knowledgeable about.

Obviously not or you wouldn't be attempting to challenge the subject. Your just sensitive to the topic, because there is tons of information about this subject. I hit a nerve with you. Don't be so sensitive. I have MI also, by the way.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I have, your obviously not comprehending what it said.

Obviously not or you wouldn't be attempting to challenge the subject. Your just sensitive to the topic, because there is tons of information about this subject. I hit a nerve with you. Don't be so sensitive. I have MI also by the way.
No, I'm challenging the subject because you're simply wrong. Refuting you is not being "sensitive". It's called debating.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Stupid question. If they were clinically psychotic or had schizophrenia, they wouldn't have been able to function.
Two things.

One, I functioned just fine for quite a while, thank you. Not every case of schizophrenia, or type of psychosis, renders you a screaming or drooling invalid.

Two, the world was different and standards for "functioning" were also different. Far different. If you could do a simple task and cook food, you "functioned" for most of human history.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Two things.

One, I functioned just fine for quite a while, thank you. Not every case of schizophrenia, or type of psychosis, renders you a screaming or drooling invalid.
I never claimed that it necessarily made you a certain way. But schizophrenia tends to have a negative impact on functioning. However, you must take each case as individual.

Two, the world was different and standards for "functioning" were also different. Far different. If you could do a simple task and cook food, you "functioned" for most of human history.
Each society has different standards for functioning. They weren't living in the Stone Age.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Each society has different standards for functioning. They weren't living in the Stone Age.
No, they weren't, but lifestyles did not radically change until very recently. I'm talking "industrial revolution" recently. Barring the language barrier and you kept the climate & locale relatively similar, your average Roman peasant would have zero problems if he were made to live in 16th century Europe.

There were plenty of people throughout history who were mentally ill, some extremely so, and they survived just fine. Jesus having low level(or low-frequency) hallucinations or delusions wouldn't impact his life severely, and if anything would like up with the Biblical account of how he was treated by both the Jewish leaders and Roman bureaucrats.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I personally don't think neither Jesus nor Muhammad ever existed, but if they did wouldn't they be considered lunatics or having a delusional disorder, or grandiose delusions that occur in people suffering from a wide range of psychiatric diseases, including schizophrenia. These patients are characterized by bizarre beliefs that one is omnipotent or powerful. These delusions typically are religious and supernatural.

So considering the preposterous things they said, wouldn't they be considered insane?

People with mental disorders are becoming highly sought-after job candidates — here's why

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/07/h...ntally-ill-at-some-point-study-says.html?_r=0

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I personally don't think neither Jesus nor Muhammad ever existed
Well, you'll have to take that up with historians. There are always some loops who don't believe Jesus existed at all, but you really also don't think that Muhammad existed as a warlord who founded Islam?

Certainly if they truly believed something demonstably false. I think you'll have a difficult time showing that.

Also, your ideas of mental health seem somewhat shallow, indicative of being informed by a general psych class and little more.

Cobol

Code Jockey
Also, your ideas of mental health seem somewhat shallow, indicative of being informed by a general psych class and little more.

Considering the fact that you are ignorant to my lifetime of knowledge on this subject, your statement is absurd and foolish.

Cobol

Code Jockey
yet the idea that muhhumad didn't exist is new. There is a metric ****ton of historical data on that guy.

Arabic sources for the life of Muhammad are very late, tendentious, and unsupported by any archaeological or epigraphic evidence, while the non-Islamic sources are scant and ambiguous.

This thread is not about Muhammad's non existence.

Baroodi

COBOL did you ever see a crazy man followed by a single person supporting him in what he presumes? Please mind your mind

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I personally don't think neither Jesus nor Muhammad ever existed, but if they did wouldn't they be considered lunatics or having a delusional disorder, or grandiose delusions that occur in people suffering from a wide range of psychiatric diseases, including schizophrenia.
Nice share. :rolleyes:

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Considering the fact that you are ignorant to my lifetime of knowledge on this subject, your statement is absurd and foolish.
I am working on my second degree in psychology and towards a doctorate. I don't know how much, if any, training you've had, but, I can and did address your expression of such. Which was wanting.

QuestioningMind

Very true. There are numerous individuals who make such grandiose claims in this day and age and no one takes them seriously. It's because we now understand mental illness far better that they did millennia ago. We don't consider them to be possessed or demons or messengers from God, we understand that they are simply people suffering from mental disorders. If Jesus and Mohammad were alive today they'd either be homeless and living in some alley or in an asylum somewhere.