• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Were Jesus and Muhammad insane?

Cobol

Code Jockey
I personally don't think neither Jesus nor Muhammad ever existed, but if they did wouldn't they be considered lunatics or having a delusional disorder, or grandiose delusions that occur in people suffering from a wide range of psychiatric diseases, including schizophrenia. These patients are characterized by bizarre beliefs that one is omnipotent or powerful. These delusions typically are religious and supernatural.

So considering the preposterous things they said, wouldn't they be considered insane?

Raahim

مكتوب
In modern days this would be the opinion of many and it would be much harder for prophets such as Yeshua عليه السلام and Muhammad عليه السلام to reach the masses with their teachings. And what's bizarre in belief that there is one source of everything?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Stupid question. If they were clinically psychotic or had schizophrenia, they wouldn't have been able to function. Experts have tested the historical evidence of such figures as St. Joan of Arc to see if she fits a diagnosis and found that she doesn't fit the criteria, either.

And where are you getting that psychosis is "typically religious or supernatural"?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Grandiose delusions are typically religious and supernatural, if you do just a little bit of research you would know this.
I think I've done more research on the topic of mental illness than you. If you had, you wouldn't have made such a stupid thread in the first place.

Now, do you have evidence or not? I mean, research articles and the like.

Raahim

مكتوب
Grandiose delusions are typically religious and supernatural, if you do just a little bit of research you would know this.

Just because those are typical symptoms doesn't mean they had them, they are considered prophets on more than just speaking to the people.

Cobol

Code Jockey
I've posted four links to articles which state a connection between religion and grandiose delusions.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So you know how to Google. That's nice. Since you're a psychiatrist, examine your patients and see if you can diagnose them with any of the conditions that can cause delusions. They did it with St. Joan of Arc, as I mentioned. Now you do it with Christ and Muhammad, doctor. :rolleyes:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You must have not read the whole article to say that. Ive posted a total of four articles or studies that state a connection between delusional disorders and religion.
I did read the whole article. You obviously didn't. The article, in the section about religious beliefs and psychopathology, is talking about how religion as a cultural influence can play a part in the manifestation of psychosis. It varies by culture and sect, as can be expected. It also talks about how religion is a positive influence in the patient's life and actually helps with treatment. The recommendation in the article is for those treating patients to become more culturally sensitive to their patient's religious beliefs and to integrate a whole-person approach to treatment. So you just shot yourself in the foot. Good job.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Thats irrelevant to the topic. Your just trying to interpose something that doesn't connect.
You're just mad because you posted a scientific article that doesn't come to the conclusions you wish it did, because you didn't even bother to read it before posting it. Get over it. You're the one who posted it in the first place. I had to tell you want the damn thing says!

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I love reading arguments I've never read before :rolleyes: I am neither a Christian nor a Muslim but this **** is old.