• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Went to my first UU service

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I found a place about 30 minutes from my home. The people there were extremely friendly, and yesterday's focus was on the Summer Solstice, so the service was pretty cool.

I'm experiencing out-of-my-comfort-zone pains, of course (I'm used to the Catholic Mass.). Plus I'm hesitant to try and fit in with a new community, as I haven't had much luck in the recent past.

I plan on going back though and giving it all a good, solid try. I need some RF good luck ~ vibes ~! :) I would really like to find a group of decent, kind, and accepting people, for my children more than anything.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I found a place about 30 minutes from my home. The people there were extremely friendly, and yesterday's focus was on the Summer Solstice, so the service was pretty cool.

I'm experiencing out-of-my-comfort-zone pains, of course (I'm used to the Catholic Mass.). Plus I'm hesitant to try and fit in with a new community, as I haven't had much luck in the recent past.

I plan on going back though and giving it all a good, solid try. I need some RF good luck ~ vibes ~! :) I would really like to find a group of decent, kind, and accepting people, for my children more than anything.
Awesome.

If my experiences are anything to go by, a UU community fits your description perfectly.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I know where you're at. I'd love to have had a Unitarian church near here.
When our kids were small we had 2 baptised as Unitarians but the nearest church was more than 2 hours away so it was just too hard to keep it up.
Best of luck with that, I imagine it'll be great. Let us know how it goes

Last edited:

Onkara

Hi Anne
Good to read your update. I have looked into it locally, in the past, but have not gone.
I would be interested to hear more. It is interesting that you are considering your children, is that so they can find purpose in life through religion or spiritual aspects or more so they meet nice people and children?

I send you some good vibes!
Onkarah.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Fair warning to all interested parties: quality of services can vary WILDLY.

I'm still wincing over a particular Earth Day ritual.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Many thanks for the good luck vibes. :) I'll definitely update this thread with my experiences.

Onkarah, regarding my children, it's both really. I know each girl has her own spiritual journey waiting for her, and I'm hoping to get the two of them started on the right foot, exposing them to people who are open, tolerant, and kind. While I'm pleased with the influence our family has on them, I'd like to widen that circle of influence a bit.

I also noticed that the church is very active in social issues, which is new for us. While we support various causes, our participation has often stopped at writing a check. I think it will be good for us to get more involved personally. Plus it's an opportunity for my kids to make friends. *crosses fingers*

Storm... :D I was warned 4 times by other church members that the summer services are very different from the rest of the year. I think they were afraid my daughter and I would bolt for the door when the group gathered to perform a "Spiral Dance." :p I admit, I was thinking, "Aw, what the heck is this?!" We ended up really enjoying it though. There was a lot of laughing and clapping.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Oh, I wasn't even thinking of the summer lull.

At my church, we've had sermons that got standing ovations. We've also had the aforementioned ritual, that made me want to run up to the mic and announce "It's not always like this! New people, please PLEASE give us another chance!" LOL.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Oh, I wasn't even thinking of the summer lull.

At my church, we've had sermons that got standing ovations. We've also had the aforementioned ritual, that made me want to run up to the mic and announce "It's not always like this! New people, please PLEASE give us another chance!" LOL.
Okay, thanks for the warning. :p

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
Most New England churches have fewer and less formal services over the summer. (This past Sunday was the "end of the church year".) Regular services typically resume in early September. I'm not sure how far west that tradition has gone, but folks looking to UU services this summer should keep that in mind.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Okay, I have a rather dopey question:

How long may I attend services and meetings before deciding whether or not to finally officially join? In other words, can I hang out and experience the church and its people all summer before making my decision, or are people usually expected to make up their minds within a few weeks or so?

I plan on speaking more with the lovely people at the Visitor's Center, but I thought I'd ask you guys too.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Okay, I have a rather dopey question:

How long may I attend services and meetings before deciding whether or not to finally officially join? In other words, can I hang out and experience the church and its people all summer before making my decision, or are people usually expected to make up their minds within a few weeks or so?

I plan on speaking more with the lovely people at the Visitor's Center, but I thought I'd ask you guys too.
As long as you please.

I went every Sunday for three years before becoming a member. One of my best friends has two years on me, and my lay minister has us both beat hands down. He'd been a regular congregant for 9 years before joining.

So take your time, we're easy. :)

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
Yeah, our congregation typically refers to "members and friends" as recognition of the fact that many of our "regulars" never "join".

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Hi, Anne,

I've attended a local UU "church" a number of times since several very good friends of mine are members. There were things I liked about it and things I disliked.

The people were without exception very friendly and open. I like that. They are generally very accepting of lifestyles that differ from their own, and that's refreshing.

I did find, over time, that this acceptance often stops short of accepting traditional Christianity or political ideas that are not left-leaning.

I also found the emphasis on things political to be at times inappropriate, and overly emphasized.

I liked the openness to other expressions of faith, because I find diversity and the willingness to appreciate and respect other cultures especially appealing.

That's just my two cents' worth. But I guess it depends on what components one finds most rewarding in a worship setting. My two friends who are members of that church are truly awesome people and it works for them.

Last edited: