• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We must tear down the Democratic Party!

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yet not enough to give up his position of power in repentance.

If one rises to, and maintains, power on the back of racism, they can't simply say sorry later and keep all of the benefits.

That's like apologising for stealing someone's money but not giving it back.

The voters of the state of West Virginia gave Byrd that power and continued to re-elect him to the US Senate from 1959 to 2010. Byrd disavowed the Klan well before that, and even before his stint in the House, which preceded his career in the Senate. The West Virginians elected him as a repentant former Klansman, apparently approved of him for as long as he offered his services - over a half century - and so obviously would not have wanted him to resign.

I am not sure where this unrealist idealistic approach. No one is entirely innocent in history, but the South lived on their main economic asset of slavery for 200 years, which evolved in to the wide spread practice of penal servitude of blacks in the late 19th and early 20th century. The northern states were never guilty of this extreme in benefiting from slavery and penal servitude to build and maintain their power on the backs of the black population.

You need to have a more realistic knowledge of the real history of the USA.

I was talking about 1 person.

Imo it is not unnecessarily idealistic to believe that a former member of the KKK should not have been an elected official until 2010. Saying sorry while clinging to the trappings of power does not constitute actual repentance.

That the Democrats allowed him to remain in the party is somewhat hypocritical.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I was talking about 1 person.

Imo it is not unnecessarily idealistic to believe that a former member of the KKK should not have been an elected official until 2010. Saying sorry while clinging to the trappings of power does not constitute actual repentance.

That the Democrats allowed him to remain in the party is somewhat hypocritical.

Being selective on one person does not help your case, and it represents a logical fallacy. Everything I previously stated applies regardless if it is one or a million.

It was not the Democratic Party that made the decision. It was the people of West Virginia that accepted the fact that he repented and left the KKK.

Senator Byrd was indeed a racist in his youth and early career, but repented and left the KKK condemning racism in any form.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
That was never a conservative principle, just the mantra in the mid-20th century when liberals dominated all three branches of government and the southern states resented having progressive values such as those undergirding Brown v. Board of Education, Loving v. Virginia, and Roe v.. Wade imposed upon it.

With the conservatives in power, they would gladly criminalize abortion and eliminate same sex marriage in every state using federal authority to do so if they could. We saw in District of Columbia v. Heller and Gore v. Bush how ready the conservatives on the Supreme Court were willing to wrest control away from local levels of government and impose the federal government's preference on them when it was expedient.

An authentic principle is one that is in play wherever it can be except when it is trumped by a higher principle, as with a unwavering preference for honesty over dishonesty except when honesty would be unjustly damaging to another, as with the classic illustration of lying about the Jews hiding in one's basement when the SS shows up at the door.

What I call a pseudo-principle is one that you don't really care about and would throw under the bus the first opportunity that it no longer serves you, but then wheel back out whenever it suits you. "State's rights" is a classic example of a pseudo-principle, as is "strict constructionism" / "original intent." The interpretation of the Second Amendment by the conservative justices on the Supreme Court is classic judicial activism, and demonstrates that they have no qualms about legislating from the bench when it suits them.

Likewise with Citizen's United v. FEC. Pure conservative judicial activism.

What do you think?

A very distorted unrealistic view of the history of the conservative right wing movements in the USA.

Ah, the stench of desperation. Racists, misogynists, and homophobes typically vote republican. There's no denying that.

Sure, the democratic party was on the wrong side of history over 100 years ago, but I think we need to consider who's on the wrong side of history today.

Also, it still tickles me to see an LHPer subservient to the Christian Fundamentalist agenda.
One thing about the LHP is that 'discrimination' isn't a demonized word the same way it is with mainstream nomos. Truth always Trump's politique, and the truth is it is in our nature to discriminate. We all discriminate every day, from the foods we eat to the decisions we make. This extends straight on down the line to judgement of people.

We are tribal people, and it is also part of our nature to view with suspicion those that are not of our tribe. The liberal narrative that we should fight against this and instead embrace some global brotherhood of man is hardly in line with any of that.

I often find myself agreeing with fundies on the topic of politics, just not for the same reasons.

idav

Being
Premium Member
So, can we call for the destruction of the Democratic Party because it is a monument to racism and divisiveness? They literally founded the KKK, caused the Civil War because they wanted slaves, and Planned Parenthood was a eugenics program by a known racist called Margret Sanger, also a Democrat.

Apparently, we are all about tearing down statues but I feel this isn't the root cause - the root cause is the Democrats who have been on the wrong side of history OVER and OVER. Discuss?
But @Mindmaster democrats are closer to the left hand path than republicans but suit yourself.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Really it's the two party system that's an issue. It doesn't stay consistent with what people believe but rather stays consistent with what people hate. That is no way to pick something we actually want.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
But @Mindmaster democrats are closer to the left hand path than republicans but suit yourself.

I am no expert on LHP.
But I would have said the exact opposite. The republican ethos is more about personal responsibility and the democratic ethos is more about collective good.
Tom

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Snopes has been printing political lies consistently for years, they're nearly in self-destruct mode financially. Who'd have thought that when people count on you for the truth, and you stop printing it, it'd be bad for your business model? It takes a real person of character to defend a racist baby murder like her, just saying. Anyway, I refuse to take any of their articles with merit because a quick Google search refutes much of their claims. Anyway, which part was the lie? The fact that she was paling with KKK people, a Democrat, or that she believed in eugenics or though that people of poor economic situations had no right to breed? (Most of those people would be minorities in her time, etc.) You can wear the rose colored glasses if you want, but those are just the facts. I'm sure all of those pictures of her speaking at KKK rallies on the internet are fake too, lol.
Yeah, because photos can't be doctored at all. :rolleyes:

Nous

Premium Member
Likewise with Citizen's United v. FEC. Pure conservative judicial activism.

What do you think?
Should the political forums on RF and electioneering communications on Facebook and Twitter be shut down 3 months prior to a federal election? Would that have helped elect another candidate for President in 2012?

One of the issues the Court addressed in Citizens United was the problem of defining what is a "media corporation" in order to exempt them from the operation of the law that disallowed electioneering communications by corporations and unions.

Being selective on one person does not help your case, and it represents a logical fallacy. Everything I previously stated applies regardless if it is one or a million.

It's a 'logical fallacy' to consider that being a former member of a racist terror organisation should preclude someone from holding a high position in the Democratic Party unless the party wants to be massively hypocritical?

It was not the Democratic Party that made the decision. It was the people of West Virginia that accepted the fact that he repented and left the KKK.

The Party has control over who it allows as members and allows to rise to senior positions as recently as 2010.

Senator Byrd was indeed a racist in his youth and early career, but repented and left the KKK condemning racism in any form.

He demonstrated his deep regret and condemnation of racism by opposing, and even filibustering, civil rights legislation and opposing desegregation.

Call me cynical, but seems more like a shameless opportunist to me.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Don't take the comment to mean that I am pro-Republican Party or anything, it's just where I am at. If we are revising history by deleting the cancers of our past, let's start with the cancer in our present company who did wrong in the past.
We aren't revising history by removing statues. We are just no longer honoring that history.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It's a 'logical fallacy' to consider that being a former member of a racist terror organisation should preclude someone from holding a high position in the Democratic Party unless the party wants to be massively hypocritical?

This neither your claim of hypocrisy represents a logical fallacy. Singling out one individual for judgment is a logical fallacy.

The Party has control over who it allows as members and allows to rise to senior positions as recently as 2010.

Actually no. The primaries and designation of who can be a candidate is open to all legal residents registered in the party. It is the voters of the particular state that make the determination.

He demonstrated his deep regret and condemnation of racism by opposing, and even filibustering, civil rights legislation and opposing desegregation.

Call me cynical, but seems more like a shameless opportunist to me.

I will call you unreasonably cynical and judgmental.

This neither your claim of hypocrisy represents a logical fallacy. Singling out one individual for judgment is a logical fallacy.

It applies to all others of a similar ilk, I just don't know their names and stories.

Actually no. The primaries and designation of who can be a candidate is open to all legal residents registered in the party. It is the voters of the particular state that make the determination.

Parties can surely set regulations for membership can they not?

And if they can't, they can certainly speak out.

I will call you unreasonably cynical and judgmental.

If it is unreasonably judgemental to believe that a Klan member, who got his head start from being a Klan member, who praised the Klan after he had supposedly left, who opposed civil rights for black people and supported segregation 20 years after 'repenting' was not fit for high office in a party that prided itself on its progressive tendencies then by all means call me that.

Was a racist, 'repented', continued being a racist until the last possible moment that he could get away with it and keep his job, 'repented' again. Paragon of virtue.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Your unbelievable self-centered arrogance does not allow that people can change and repent form their previous beliefs. Yes, many people joined the clan for local reasons and a 'sense of belonging' to their community, but later left, because of moral and ethical reasons.

I would focus my concern for those that still wear the white robe and promote racist violent venom, and refuse to repent and change.

Good grief! You act like we're talking about normal people. Byrd actually was one of the chief recruiters for the Klan in WV. He knew exactly what the deal was. Did he "repent"? Hardly.

robert byrd interview about jesse jackson - Bing video

suncowiam

They even had a name: Dixiecrats.

The governors that fought integration the most strongest and loudest were also Democrats. So were most, if not all the police chiefs involved in the Selma and Montgomery Riots.

Funny, how things change.

Sounds like today's Republicans on segregation of LBGT.