• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We must tear down the Democratic Party!

idav

Being
Premium Member
In Luke 19 Jesus talks of a parable of a king who bears stark and uncanny resemblance to Christ, and this King's order is to kill those who don't want him to reign over them (specifically, gather them, bring them here, and kill them in front of me). Jesus didn't say anything about slavery, but he said three times at least he did not come to do away with the law, and this law does permit slavery, and Paul would later affirm the status of slaves by telling them to serve, especially so if they are Christian and serve a Christian master.
Cursing a fruitless fig tree that was out of season, it's more evidence, albeit more trivial and less significant overall, as to why the Bible fails as a guide for morality and reason.
Thanks for the verse. I will take a look, parable doesn't make much sense at a glance.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Jesus mentioned some stuff about peace, loving your neighbor, taking care of one another, but, yet, he also said to kill those who don't want him to reign over him and he is part of the dramatis personae that is very authoritarian, intolerant, blood thirsty, misogynist, and he is included in the mythology of those who condone slavery and tell slaves to serve. Ergo, even though there is some good, the Bible is not suitable as a guide for morality, as so much of what it considers moral and even necessary via divine mandate we do not tolerate (such as killing your rebellious teenager).
The Constitution gave us fine words, but actions speak louder than words. With the Constitution, we were encouraged and given permission to update it, so that each new generation would not be governed by the dead and they could address their own new problems in their own new society unknown to those who lived during the mid-to-late 18th century. And we did make it better by making sure all men have those rights, and not just men but women, and we are granting these rights to other minority groups.
Where there are flaws and shortcomings, we shouldn't pretend they don't exist. Rather, we should acknowledge the mistakes of the past and boldly declare we can and will do better, and rise to a system were truly everyone does have the same rights and equality under the law, rather than clinging onto systems of past inequities that were/are terribly inadequate and require constant updating because the past didn't actually grant rights to all men despite those words saying it did.

Much of this I could agree with, of course, with exceptions that I won't go into to keep continuity. You have not addressed my objections to this statement:

The entire American state was built upon racism and slavery.

Which is a false generalization, unless you are referring to the Confederate States of America. and continued 'penal servitude' slavery that persisted in the South until well into the 20th century.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Thanks for the verse. I will take a look, parable doesn't make much sense at a glance.

The parable referred to is problematic as well as a many references to slavery and other issues not relevant to today's world. Fortunately I consider these ancient scriptures as part of our heritage and not relevant spiritual guidance for the contemporary world,

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Which is a false generalization, unless you are referring to the Confederate States of America. and continued 'penal servitude' slavery that persisted in the South until well into the 20th century.
I am referring to the likes of Thomas Jefferson, a life-long slave owner. But, even though many Founders did eventually free their slaves, when "all men are created equal" was penned there is no way they could have agreed with such an idea because they had in their possession human beings who were legally not entitled to all the freedoms they granted white men. The Southern Colonies/future states likely disagreed the most with such a sentiment.
And penal servitude is something I'm strongly against, as it is basically the state giving itself the authority to make slaves of people.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I am referring to the likes of Thomas Jefferson, a life-long slave owner. But, even though many Founders did eventually free their slaves, when "all men are created equal" was penned there is no way they could have agreed with such an idea because they had in their possession human beings who were legally not entitled to all the freedoms they granted white men. The Southern Colonies/future states likely disagreed the most with such a sentiment.
And penal servitude is something I'm strongly against, as it is basically the state giving itself the authority to make slaves of people.

I actually addressed these issues, and you have not responded. Your statement remains a false generalization how the American state developed. Slavery was actually a little late on the scene, and only became dominant in the South as there was a need for slavery labor.

The entire American state was built upon racism and slavery.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Maybe it's like climate change. I believe climate change is a serious issue and that humans are causing it. Yet I still drive a gas powered car. I don't always recycle. I haven't given up meat.

It's really difficult to extricate yourself from certain cultural necessities when alternatives aren't as easy, cheap, or forthcoming.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Maybe it's like climate change. I believe climate change is a serious issue and that humans are causing it. Yet I still drive a gas powered car. I don't always recycle. I haven't given up meat.

It's really difficult to extricate yourself from certain cultural necessities when alternatives aren't as easy, cheap, or forthcoming.
That still doesn't exonerate us. We're killing each other, and despite our efforts to do better, that is still the truth of Global Warming and our ways of life that contribute to it (and will be so until we've reached sustainable levels and aren't releasing so many toxins into the environment). Everything else is pretty much an excuse.

idav

Being
Premium Member
The parable referred to is problematic as well as a many references to slavery and other issues not relevant to today's world. Fortunately I consider these ancient scriptures as part of our heritage and not relevant spiritual guidance for the contemporary world,
I've wondered why some don't like the gospel Luke. Pretty interesting. Regardless guy was well ahead of his time, I don't expect Jesus to be perfect anyhow that's a tall order for Christians.