• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walmart and Dick's Sporting Goods Sued

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not sure that every state, or even Oregon, interprets its age discrimination provision in public accommodations law as strictly disallowing any differential treatment for anyone over age 18. Do not some bars disallow people younger that 21? And, as you noted, senior citizen discounts at movie theaters and restaurants are, strictly speaking, forms of age discrimination.
In my town, senior discounts are strictly illegal.
But would you want to be the prosecutor who hauls Quality 16
Theaters into court, & deny us old fogies our discount?
Political power often trumps the law.

Nous

Premium Member
In my town, senior discounts are strictly illegal.
But would you want to be the prosecutor who hauls Quality 16
Theaters into court, & deny us old fogies our discount?
If I'm paid well, I don't mind looking like an a-hole.

That's a joke. I'm not sure that the age discrimination provision of public accommodations laws is or should be interpreted in such a way as that there can be no differential treatment whatsoever by public accommodations according to age.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If I'm paid well, I don't mind looking like an a-hole.

That's a joke. I'm not sure that the age discrimination provision of public accommodations laws is or should be interpreted in such a way as that there can be no differential treatment whatsoever by public accommodations according to age.
It all depends upon the political climate.
If I offered a rent discount based upon age, gender, school status, etc, government would
be all over me like a ton of bricks. Renting is more politically contentious than movies,
martinis & marzipan, where technically illegal discrimination is de facto acceptable.

Nous

Premium Member
It all depends upon the political climate.
If I offered a rent discount based upon age, gender, school status, etc, government would
be all over me like a ton of bricks. Renting is more politically contentious than movies,
martinis & marzipan, where technically illegal discrimination is de facto acceptable.
You say "political climate" is the determinative factor, but surely you recognize that discrimination in housing rental and sales has a much larger impact on a person and society generally than does discrimination in prices of martinis.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You say "political climate" is the determinative factor, but surely you recognize that discrimination in housing rental and sales has a much larger impact on a person and society generally than does discrimination in prices of martinis.
Aye, but I'm not a fan of selective application of the law.
Tis better to draft it with specific exceptions, if that's how it will be enforced.

Curious George

Veteran Member
[.
I'm not sure that every state, or even Oregon, interprets its age discrimination provision in public accommodations law as strictly disallowing any differential treatment for anyone over age 18. Do not some bars disallow people younger that 21? And, as you noted, senior citizen discounts at movie theaters and restaurants are, strictly speaking, forms of age discrimination.
Alcohol, marijuana, and senior services are all expressly exempt from the discrimination laws in Oregon.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
But don't worry, God is on the side of AR-15 owners:

Pennsylvania Church Holds Mass Blessing Ceremony for AR-15s - Universal Life Church Monastery Blog

Church-gun-worship-1.jpg

And yes, I did vet that image.

And the funny thing is that no one was shot with those firearms nor will probably ever be, they displayed them in a safe and responsible manner with bolt open and zip ties effectively blocking the chambering of a round and the insertion of a magazine.

on the other hand:
15112.jpg