• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegetarianism. How do you look at it ?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Wouldn't similar considerations be in place if he was running from predators, though?

[edit]Perhaps not. Just reflecting on this. It would only be a useful defensive mechanism if a whole familial group was able to endurance run, and that doesn't seem like a human trait...lol[/edit]
Endurance running is no good to get away from something fast. You need to sprint.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Eating meat with moderation is not bad.
Proteins are necessary bricks for the human body.
Vegetarians usually eat lots of proteins (eggs, cheese), usually.
I am afraid that Veganism or Fructarianism imply a very worrying shortage of proteins.
This is just my personal opinion ...of course.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Feel like sharing this video on vegetarianism.

Question: who out of three speakers in the video gave the most logical fact ?

They provided religious emotional arguments so no facts.
However, I liked the 3rd speaker. I like the idea of simple foods but this is an emotional response.

As far as being a vegetarian, I don't like the taste of meat. I don't like the killing of animals. Again an emotional response.
Emotions are subjective.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Eating meat with moderation is not bad.
Proteins are necessary bricks for the human body.
Vegetarians usually eat lots of proteins (eggs, cheese), usually.
I am afraid that Veganism or Fructarianism imply a very worrying shortage of proteins.
This is just my personal opinion ...of course.
Yes, anything that requires you to take supplements can't be a good idea. My understanding is that many vegans need to do this.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Feel like sharing this video on vegetarianism.
Thanks for sharing, good video

I found all 3 speakers interesting:
The woman gave more details about ayurvedic perspective on diet; how it helps spiritual growth
The white beard man gave an interesting view why we should eat simple food, as it integrates better in our system
The black beard man gave a good point that vegetarian food digests better due to long digestive track; meat rots quicker leading to cancer++

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think that going vegetarian makes so much more sense in light of the effect on the environment and our bodies for eating so much meat. I do eat some meat because my wife has health concerns when she's gone vegetarian, but we try and keep it at a minimum.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Could you elaborate and explain further for me please. What do you mean? Could you give some examples and contrasting examples to make it clear what you are meaning and talking about? Also, what you think the best lifestyle and diet is and how to avoid everything you think is bad to do or eat, and what those things are and why they are bad to do them or eat them.

By being alive, one is continually inadvertently and/or deliberately killing or contributing to killing. All things are inter-connected. At the human society level it is easy to see this. My clothes, my accommodation, my means of transport, where I live, the energy I consume (its source), what I eat, the products I buy. You don't need to dig too deeply to find where in all of this one is "contributing" to death (buying almonds from California? I'm killing bees). So it is not just about diet, but that is one important facet. For example, reduction in meat consumption is a major way to counteract global warming. One cannot escape being a cog in all of this. All one can do, if one wishes, is to become better informed about such matters and then make our "lifestyle" decisions based on that; what we are comfortable doing, what sits best (or least worst) with our consciences.

Given what I've just said, I think a person has to find (assuming they are looking to make changes) what fits best for them. Where you live and your personal circumstances may have an impact on the choices you can make. The "best" for me won't necessarily be the best for you. And the "best" for me isn't how I always am, mainly because I'm fallible and hence hypocritical. But I sleep OK. "Lifestyle" is a rather large notion so maybe I'll just say a bit about diet. I consider some form of vegetarian diet (lacto, ovo, pescetarian, vegan, whatever) to be the healthiest one, I believe it is the most compassionate choice and it is the best choice for the planet (biosphere, global warming blah blah blah). My body does not need meat, I am an omnivore. I have followed a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet for nearly 40 years. In the last couple of years I've switched to a mostly vegan diet, as a result of seeing what the dairy and egg industries involve (duh). Whatever diet we follow, we should of course check we are getting all the nutrients we need, not too much of the things we shouldn't have too much of and none of the stuff we don't want (Will you be having steroids in your meat?). Also, check the sources of foodstuffs - different countries have different legal standards and rules for various matters (eg permitted drug use, preparation methods, animal welfare etc).

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, anything that requires you to take supplements can't be a good idea. My understanding is that many vegans need to do this.
Many non vegetarians take supplements too. Because most of us don't get all the daily recommended levels of vitamins and minerals we need purely from diet.
Especially vitamins D here in the Pacific NW.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I mostly view meat eating as something not necessary for modern living. It's not healthier for the vast majority of people who can easily get the same nutrient balance from plant sources (and generally lower in cholesterol), not more environmentally sound as one of the largest industry polluters in the modern world, and not more ethical since it's causing unnecessary suffering even if the animal husbandry is relatively good imo.

The biggest arguments for meat consumption are convenience and pleasure, which don't really stack up to me.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I went vegetarian as a child, against my parent's wishes. I actually was punished... They eventually caved, and my mom declared she would no longer cook for me. Best thing she ever did. I learned to cook early, and I *loved* it.

I didn't do it for my health; I baked a lot of cakes. Ate a lot of noodles. Just couldn't live with myself when I was eating meat...

I have made my peace with my parents on most things, but I sometimes still ask them why they forced me to eat it for so long. I was obviously distraught, and would sit at the table and cry... why would you do that to a kid? It went on for so long, it wasn't a phase... Meh.

I don't think there is much worse than the smell of a vegetarian fart.

Want to pull my finger?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Many non vegetarians take supplements too. Because most of us don't get all the daily recommended levels of vitamins and minerals we need purely from diet.
Especially vitamins D here in the Pacific NW.
Very few actually need to. Those supplements are taken either from choice or because people choose to eat bad diets, not because the diet available to them is intrinsically deficient - which a lot of vegan diets are.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Very few actually need to. Those supplements are taken either from choice or because people choose to eat bad diets, not because the diet available to them is intrinsically deficient - which a lot of vegan diets are.
'Actually need to' is a pretty loaded preamble. Most people around here take vitamin d because our diet is intrinsically deficient and low vit D is linked to seasonal depression which can be quite severe.

Most women also take calcium because diet alone won't cover the amount we need from loss we get from menopause. Menopause induced bone disorders can be quite severe.

I'm just saying. Supplements are neither unusual or bad things.

exchemist

Veteran Member
'Actually need to' is a pretty loaded preamble. Most people around here take vitamin d because our diet is intrinsically deficient and low vit D is linked to seasonal depression which can be quite severe.

Most women also take calcium because diet alone won't cover the amount we need from loss we get from menopause. Menopause induced bone disorders can be quite severe.

I'm just saying. Supplements are neither unusual or bad things.
Only in America.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All three gave more religious talks than biological or nutritional. As for 'logical facts', facts aren't logical, they're just facts. Logic is a whole different thing.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I heard a vegetarian once tell me my digestive track contained 6 lbs of rotting meat. The intention was surely to belittle meat eaters.
My reply was, "and your digestive track is filled with 6 lbs of rotting vegetables"
I've heard this rotting meat stuff, too.
Your digestive tract contains food in various stages of digestion, everything moves through steadily. Nothing just sits around rotting, as is implied.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I've heard this rotting meat stuff, too.
Your digestive tract contains food in various stages of digestion, everything moves through steadily. Nothing just sits around rotting, as is implied.

Agreed, usually but sometimes a blockage can cause a build up.

I fear the implication was to put me off eating meat. She had as much chance of getting me to give up breathing

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think people realize that animals won't give any sympathy to us if the places would be switch. Not to mention [most] animals themselves eat each other [and harm each other in different ways]. I don't see why the same shouldn't be applied to them.
I don't see what ethical principles can be drawn from these points. The capacity for reciprocal sympathy I don't see as a consideration. Human babies are incapable of that, as well, and I don't see them at the meat counter. Nor do I see the dharma of other animals as applicable to our own. Most other animals have no other dietary options.
However, I am against animal abuse and I wish we could come up with the most relatively quick, painless, clean and humane ways to slaughter them [or for some other activity].
Good point, but most of my personal objections to carnivory lie in the treatment of the animals before slaughter. The killing itself is usually a short procedure, with some effort to do it humanely.