• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegetarianism. How do you look at it ?

Hellbound Serpiente

Even herbivores can resort to eating meat when it's convenient to them, and animals [and nature] in general in brutal. So emotional arguments against meat eating is nil.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
animals [and nature] in general in brutal
Yes, animals have instincts that makes them act. And that is the difference between human and animal; men can use intellect and discriminate

So emotional arguments against meat eating is nil.
Not completely right. As we eat meat of animals we also eat their emotions, which affects us; especially contraindicated if your goal is spiritual life

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Even herbivores can resort to eating meat when it's convenient to them, and animals [and nature] in general in brutal. So emotional arguments against meat eating is nil.
Naturalism arguments aren't useful when dictating policy. Many animals will also kill their young when convenient, that doesn't mean it's a policy we should accept.

Besides, there are both medical and environmental arguments for vegetarianism covered in this thread, too. But that doesn't mean that arguments about ethics aren't important or worthy of consideration.

Naturalism arguments aren't useful when dictating policy. Many animals will also kill their young when convenient, that doesn't mean it's a policy we should accept.

Besides, there are both medical and environmental arguments for vegetarianism covered in this thread, too. But that doesn't mean that arguments about ethics aren't important or worthy of consideration.
How about we kill em and eat em for the fact that they kill their young as you mentioned! How about we kill em and eat em because they are weaker than us and our ancestors were brutes who devoured animals, and there is no God to answer to either? Those all sound like great reasons to have a nice steak dinner, but I'm about to have some potato soup (no meat) which is very tasty as well! Earlier, I had bits of seafood in something, and chicken.

I think we should probably do the nicest thing possible, but while a whole lot of people are being evil, I think maybe we should join in while we can, before it becomes illegal to devour animals. I had to even collect some plastic straws before they outlawed them here.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How about we kill em and eat em for the fact that they kill their young as you mentioned! How about we kill em and eat em because they are weaker than us and our ancestors were brutes who devoured animals, and there is no God to answer to either? Those all sound like great reasons to have a nice steak dinner, but I'm about to have some potato soup (no meat) which is very tasty as well! Earlier, I had bits of seafood in something, and chicken.

I think we should probably do the nicest thing possible, but while a whole lot of people are being evil, I think maybe we should join in while we can, before it becomes illegal to devour animals. I had to even collect some plastic straws before they outlawed them here.
Might makes right? If they do it it's OK for you to do it? It's OK if you can get away with it?
This sounds like the developmental level of a six year old.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An Appeal to Nature?
The 'carnivorous herbivores' are not moral agents. We are.

Are moral arguments necessarily "emotional?"
I suppose there is some emotion involved in the human values that underlie the premises from which the moral conclusions are deduced, but the actual moral reasoning is more deductive logic than emotion.

Define unjustly/justly.
Made up justifications which make it seem alright to people, like how people think its wrong to kill an animal and just kick its corpse into a ditch whereas others think its more justified to kill an animal so long as you eat it and use all the parts that you can and aren't ungrateful or wasteful, but it all comes up to being mainly meaningless if you have nothing to answer to or for really.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Made up justifications which make it seem alright to people, like how people think its wrong to kill an animal and just kick its corpse into a ditch whereas others think its more justified to kill an animal so long as you eat it and use all the parts that you can and aren't ungrateful or wasteful, but it all comes up to being mainly meaningless if you have nothing to answer to or for really.
Moral behavior to avoid punishment is typical of a six year old's, pre-conventional level of development, as I mentioned before.