• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegetarianism. How do you look at it ?

chinu

chinu
Feel like sharing this video on vegetarianism.

Question: who out of three speakers in the video gave the most logical fact ?

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
B6747E52-B82B-4456-9E38-A017510C30AC.jpeg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I heard a vegetarian once tell me my digestive track contained 6 lbs of rotting meat. The intention was surely to belittle meat eaters.

My reply was, "and your digestive track is filled with 6 lbs of rotting vegetables"

And there the conversation ended

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
How i look at it.

Cooking vegi for my daughter i look at it and think, what meat would go well with that.

I think that plants are living things too, even with distress signals they seem to send out. I think that abstaining from killing and support of killing industries is overall a good and noble thing, but once the animal has been killed and cooked, I think it might be wrong to waste all that also, and humans seem to be killing in an ongoing manner, as well as killing one way or another (even if its destroying plant-life, bacteria, whatever else). We are Destroyers apparently, by Nature.

I don't end up eating as much meat as people supposedly do according to some literature (which often seems crazy to me by today's standards, where meat is also pretty expensive seeming), but when I eat the meat, I don't think about the dead thing that was once living, just like when I eat some plant matter, I generally don't think of what plant it came from or how it was damaged or whatever.

I believe that animals are just like people, that they think, make decisions, communicate, and have feelings. I think that animals also kill other animals and eat them, and that we are placed in this world of killing and destruction and are the dominant animal currently. If there was an animal that ate humans, I would be opposed to it, and I believe the animals would not want to be killed or eaten.

The animals are kept as slaves, raised to a point, and then slaughtered and devoured. Mashed in teeth, swallowed, then they burn up in acid (which provides us with nutrients as well by breaking them down and energy to use as calories). The animal is hopefully not present for most of this suffering, and then we poop out the matter and it goes on another journey through the sewage pipes and sewage systems or into the water or the ground, like a giant dump site or graveyard.

I don't think there is necessarily any major benefit to abstaining from the eating of food killed and prepared by others, and I hope that eating such does not have a negative impact upon one's future state.

The Ancient Vedic People did not appear to be vegetarians, the Ancient Buddhists did not appear to be Vegetarians (they ate whatever was given to them or already killed and prepared), and basically no group of people seemed to entirely abstain from killing, preparation, or the devouring of killed or destroyed and formerly living things for the sake of one's own living and life.

I think that a person who does not try to survive well and do well for themselves and their families, is possibly harming themselves, and it is a great grace that there is the vegetarian lifestyle and option or the vegan one (though I think many people with eating disorders or other issues may gravitate to settling upon various extremist menus for themselves).

I would hesitate to kill and in my life I don't even kill mosquitos. I kill nothing on purpose, and if I kill something on accident or see someone else do so even, I ask for forgiveness and relief from the distress that seeing such causes me.

I eat delicious food of all sorts, and only avoid pork and alcohol, especially after finding out pork contains "lectins" which all blood types seem to react to as if they are allergens and toxic, and alcohol (and all intoxicants) due to its various effects and impact on parts of the body and mind and cells.

I like cows and all animals while they are living, and I like eating almost all the things they produce and make, except their blood, urine, and feces (and maybe some of the weird organs that some people eat, like tongues, brains (be VERY CAREFUL ABOUT EATING BRAINS EVER they can contain the stuff that makes people end up with kuru kuru or mad cow disease), eyeballs, testicles, udders, whatever else).

If I had a cow or a sheep or whatever, I would never, ever kill them, even if they were in pain (I'd wait until they die naturally and try to give them healing, treatments, and comfort until then).

I don't think the people who kill these animals for food or the food industry and food reaching people to eat are evil people who are accumulating sin. People who kill animals may become more callous or more capable of killing other things and butchering humans possibly (but I don't think for the most part this occurs). I think that people should refrain from killing for the most part in the way that I do, and that this makes for better and more sensitive and trustworthy people who are less prone to violence and violent reactions, being compassionate to flies and realizing they are people just like us, seeking food and living their lives as we do, not much difference overall really from the activities and pursuits of the human beings in many ways or in their basic forms.

I think plants are very much living organisms and creatures, and that killing them is not extremely different from killing or damaging a gnat or other lifeform.

I think that becoming Obsessive Compulsive and Fanatic about restrictions can cause problems for people and their enjoyment and experience of life. I think that everything I avoid is actually harmful for me, and that others should also avoid what I avoid and should pay attention to what seems to be harmful, and meat may be unhealthy for certain people while benefit others more.

This thread has made me hungry.

Hellbound Serpiente

I don't think people realize that animals won't give any sympathy to us if the places would be switch. Not to mention [most] animals themselves eat each other [and harm each other in different ways]. I don't see why the same shouldn't be applied to them.

However, I am against animal abuse and I wish we could come up with the most relatively quick, painless, clean and humane ways to slaughter them [or for some other activity].

Well established. Extra-special, unneccessary abuse by abbatoir workers. Plenty to watch on youtube.
I agree. If humans are going to kill, they should do so in the very nicest way possible, letting the animal live for a long time ideally, and killing the animal in a way that they feel the least amount of suffering or awareness or preliminary fear as possible, and all animal abusers should be taken seriously and punished harshly and strictly and not allowed to do such things, so that everything is transparent, monitored, and maintained with regular checks, and as much as the human factor may be minimized may also be better.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For my family the vegetarian month is Shravana (August/September, auspicious to Shiva), a fortnight in October (Shraddha Paksh, because of ancestor worship) and eight days in November (Navaratra, auspicious to Mother Goddess Durga). Difficult to pass through.
Pigs are intelligent, thinking beings. They have a central nervous system (including a brain). Plants, not so much.
All larger animals are intelligent and all have central nervous system and brain.

Last edited:
Pigs are intelligent, thinking beings. They have a central nervous system (including a brain). Plants, not so much.
I think pigs are totally (like all animals) just people stuck in different biological forms than us (though pretty much the same in that respect as well). The plants, like trees, seem to have recently been found to produce distress signals and even be aware of the presence of people who have harmed them before potentially (I read some stuff saying things like that, maybe it was wrong), but I think they are lifeforms and living and possibly (and I think definitely) thinking in some way that might not be fully recognized by human beings yet, so that killing them is taking a life too (which in some ways may also be beneficial, like how living cells might be sacrificed and devouring things may help spread seeds or whatever and be used as a kind of natural strategy).

I go further, and think that it may even be possible (though harder to convince anyone of) that even rocks are at the very least "animated" but their structures move at a slower rate, and regardless of their apparent lack of cognition (though they may even have this in some way which hasn't been realized and is operating at some other speed but producing something or having some invisible structure that is working as a unit to produce some sort of experience), to mistreat inanimate seeming objects is also to train oneself in callousness and cruelty, so that people should be gentle to all things, in order to learn restraint and self control and move gracefully through the world and all interactions.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I agree. If humans are going to kill, they should do so in the very nicest way possible, letting the animal live for a long time ideally, and killing the animal in a way that they feel the least amount of suffering or awareness or preliminary fear as possible, and all animal abusers should be taken seriously and punished harshly and strictly and not allowed to do such things, so that everything is transparent, monitored, and maintained with regular checks, and as much as the human factor may be minimized may also be better.

Possibly, but given the numbers involved, such treatment is a drop in the ocean.

Global Animal Slaughter Statistics & Charts: 2020 Update - Faunalytics

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I think pigs are totally (like all animals) just people stuck in different biological forms than us (though pretty much the same in that respect as well). The plants, like trees, seem to have recently been found to produce distress signals and even be aware of the presence of people who have harmed them before potentially (I read some stuff saying things like that, maybe it was wrong), but I think they are lifeforms and living and possibly (and I think definitely) thinking in some way that might not be fully recognized by human beings yet, so that killing them is taking a life too (which in some ways may also be beneficial, like how living cells might be sacrificed and devouring things may help spread seeds or whatever and be used as a kind of natural strategy).

I go further, and think that it may even be possible (though harder to convince anyone of) that even rocks are at the very least "animated" but their structures move at a slower rate, and regardless of their apparent lack of cognition (though they may even have this in some way which hasn't been realized and is operating at some other speed but producing something or having some invisible structure that is working as a unit to produce some sort of experience), to mistreat inanimate seeming objects is also to train oneself in callousness and cruelty, so that people should be gentle to all things, in order to learn restraint and self control and move gracefully through the world and all interactions.
All beings in living, kill. It is about choices and what those choices are based on.