• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegetarianism. How do you look at it ?

A Vestigial Mote

I heard a vegetarian once tell me my digestive track contained 6 lbs of rotting meat. The intention was surely to belittle meat eaters.

My reply was, "and your digestive track is filled with 6 lbs of rotting vegetables"

And there the conversation ended
Well... to be sure, rotting meat comes along with much more of the types of bacteria and pathogens that cause food poisoning. One can ingest "normal" amounts of rotted or moldy vegetables and likely not have an issue. Rotting meat simply isn't the same.

That said... it isn't like you're eating the stuff that is stuck in your digestive tract. The setup is built to keep you safe from its contents - hence the reason people have real problems if they develop or incur a perforation of the lining of their intestines, or something similar.

There is evidence that points to true carnivores having very short digestive tracts in order to minimize the time that the meat substances they consume stay within their bodies. Vegetarian/vegan animals, on the other hand, have much longer digestive tracts, because it matters very little how long the substances stay in your body, and there is real benefit to being able to leech nutrients off of those substances (and even the bacteria doing the work on them) for a longer period of time. I believe it was mice that have a second pathway that sends some of the fecal matter back through a type of secondary processing, so that vitamin B12 can be absorbed from the materials that the bacteria in their gut have already begun breaking down.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I believe it was mice that have a second pathway that sends some of the fecal matter back through a type of secondary processing, so that vitamin B12 can be absorbed from the materials that the bacteria in their gut have already begun breaking down.

What was god thinking that day?!

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well... to be sure, rotting meat comes along with much more of the types of bacteria and pathogens that cause food poisoning. One can ingest "normal" amounts of rotted or moldy vegetables and likely not have an issue. Rotting meat simply isn't the same.

That said... it isn't like you're eating the stuff that is stuck in your digestive tract. The setup is built to keep you safe from its contents - hence the reason people have real problems if they develop or incur a perforation of the lining of their intestines, or something similar.

There is evidence that points to true carnivores having very short digestive tracts in order to minimize the time that the meat substances they consume stay within their bodies. Vegetarian/vegan animals, on the other hand, have much longer digestive tracts, because it matters very little how long the substances stay in your body, and there is real benefit to being able to leech nutrients off of those substances (and even the bacteria doing the work on them) for a longer period of time. I believe it was mice that have a second pathway that sends some of the fecal matter back through a type of secondary processing, so that vitamin B12 can be absorbed from the materials that the bacteria in their gut have already begun breaking down.
Mice? I was aware rabbits process their food twice by eating the first time round faeces, but I'd never heard this about mice.

Man seems to be set up as an omnivore. There is a hypothesis that the upright gait evolved as a more effective mode of running after prey. Man can run down a fast-moving animal by chasing it until it is exhausted: Endurance running hypothesis - Wikipedia

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Mice? I was aware rabbits process their food twice by eating the first time round faeces, but I'd never heard this about mice.

Man seems to be set up as an omnivore. There is a hypothesis that the upright gait evolved as a more effective mode of running after prey. Man can run down a fast-moving animal by chasing it until it is exhausted: Endurance running hypothesis - Wikipedia

Wouldn't similar considerations be in place if he was running from predators, though?

[edit]Perhaps not. Just reflecting on this. It would only be a useful defensive mechanism if a whole familial group was able to endurance run, and that doesn't seem like a human trait...lol[/edit]

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Vegetarianism. How do you look at it ?

I have no particular feelings one way or the other, actually.
I think there are reasonable arguments on both sides here.

I think the best arguments are the environmental ones.

But I enjoy my meat and don't really plan to quit eating it.
I'ld have no problem to eat less of it though. But I don't feel like giving it up completely.

All beings in living, kill. It is about choices and what those choices are based on.

Could you elaborate and explain further for me please. What do you mean? Could you give some examples and contrasting examples to make it clear what you are meaning and talking about? Also, what you think the best lifestyle and diet is and how to avoid everything you think is bad to do or eat, and what those things are and why they are bad to do them or eat them.

I have no particular feelings one way or the other, actually.
I think there are reasonable arguments on both sides here.

I think the best arguments are the environmental ones.

But I enjoy my meat and don't really plan to quit eating it.
I'ld have no problem to eat less of it though. But I don't feel like giving it up completely.

I don't seem to care much about the environment or anything that becomes too distant in the consequences for me to really understand or grasp my impact (like if I can't see it, I can barely understand it, short-sightedness, so like I can see how littering is annoying and bad, but can't care too much about the helpless seeming situation with landfills and throwing out the trash).

Same goes for meat. Very shortsighted (I am), I wouldn't kill an animal, but I would find it not difficult to buy some pre-packed chopped up meat pieces and include it in my cooking.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Could you elaborate and explain further for me please. What do you mean? Could you give some examples and contrasting examples to make it clear what you are meaning and talking about? Also, what you think the best lifestyle and diet is and how to avoid everything you think is bad to do or eat, and what those things are and why they are bad to do them or eat them.
You seem determined to get a long answer out of me! I shall cogitate and return in due course. :)

Why not eat the best of both worlds? Meat AND vegetables?

9 Reasons Why Eating Meat Is Good For Health

I think for some people they restrict themselves from things as part of an obsessive sort of mental disorder or eating disorder, others because it causes anxiety for them to think about things like cruelty or being part of it, others to appear a certain way or take a stand for something, others because of how they think meat ingestion makes them feel mentally or physically, and others because their religions or religious philosophies might have insisted or given them the impression that eating such things or the products that have been derived from killing, violence, or abuses will be sinful for them to consume or support and participate with and that their acquiring such sin will lead to harm in this life and the next lives or experiences for them.

I read a pamphlet by the Krishna people who had a human face on a cow, and was saying that whoever kills or eats cows will be reincarnated as a cow that gets killed or eaten, so that everyone gets exactly what they did (at least in this specific case), and will be made to go through the suffering they caused by having the suffering caused to them. So I can imagine that might terrify a few people into putting aside a delicious Big Mac.

Our God, on the other hand, is the creator of this system of mass murdering and devouring (Reality), and so it seems more cruel in some ways to put people in a position like this after making it appear that killing and eating what is killed was the historical norm for many creatures (even some plants).

You seem determined to get a long answer out of me! I shall cogitate and return in due course. :)
Haha, thank you very much! Yeah, I do hope to sort of inspire and encourage people to write more than they might be used to doing usually! I love what they come up with, I am greatly inspired by it, and even feel a little sense of pride about a great human mind being triggered to share and create more and more good stuff!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Haha, thank you very much! Yeah, I do hope to sort of inspire and encourage people to write more than they might be used to doing usually! I love what they come up with, I am greatly inspired by it, and even feel a little sense of pride about a great human mind being triggered to share and create more and more good stuff!
In my defence, I'm typing on an ipad with one digit.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I don't seem to care much about the environment or anything that becomes too distant in the consequences for me to really understand or grasp my impact (like if I can't see it, I can barely understand it, short-sightedness, so like I can see how littering is annoying and bad, but can't care too much about the helpless seeming situation with landfills and throwing out the trash).

Same goes for meat. Very shortsighted (I am), I wouldn't kill an animal, but I would find it not difficult to buy some pre-packed chopped up meat pieces and include it in my cooking.

I'm mostly the same way. Actually I think the vast majority of humans are like that.

But I do get easily convinced by arguments that use the law of big numbers.

Sure, that little trip to the supermarket with my diesel car is peanuts in terms of pollution.
But what does it result in when we add up such a daily trip of 2 billion diesel cars?

Same with meat.

Sure, that one cow isn't going to make a difference.
But what about when we add up ALL the cattle required to feed the world and the carbon footprint thereof?

When numbers are put in such perspectives, in "big picture" framing if you will, then they really get to me. And I fully realize my contribution to that wider problem - no matter how small my contribution is to the whole. I easily realize that it is that small for ALL people.

Somehow, I'm very much aware of the idea that lots of small fish make up for a big whale.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Our God, on the other hand, is the creator of this system of mass murdering and devouring (Reality), and so it seems more cruel in some ways to put people in a position like this after making it appear that killing and eating what is killed was the historical norm for many creatures (even some plants).

I have a different view (purely hypothetical). Personally, I do believe that the earth was watered by a mist that protected the earth from the damaging portion of the light that comes from the sun.

During that time, meat requirement was nil. In the beginning as it will be in the end the lamb will sleep with the lion.

In the advent of the formation of clouds where radiation could penetrate, it affected the body to the need of meat.

Purely hypothetical :)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Feel like sharing this video on vegetarianism.

Question: who out of three speakers in the video gave the most logical fact ?

It appeared they were talking more about religious beliefs than fact.

I think Woody Allen's view on the subject might be more factual.

Nature is "an enormous restaurant."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I heard a vegetarian once tell me my digestive track contained 6 lbs of rotting meat. The intention was surely to belittle meat eaters.

My reply was, "and your digestive track is filled with 6 lbs of rotting vegetables"

And there the conversation ended
Should of added in the flatulence.

I tried vegetarian at times. Oh my!