• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Various kinds of Atheism

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No there couldn't,the very idea contradicts the definition of atheism

Well I am seeing half the brain says one believes in One God, then the other half is saying all those that do not choose my view of One God are false gods or true god godless. :confused::eek::)

Maybe not, yes, let's go with maybe not.

Regards Tony

Clara Tea

Various kinds of Atheism

I had to post this in the 'General Religious' debates section because this debate is intended for anybody to respond to.

A thread about various churches within Christianity has led on to this question.
I cannot think of many kinds of Atheism myself, but here is my short list.
Please do add to the list, argue about it, deny bits of it....... as you please. :p

Religious Atheism (Henotheism. Christianity. etc )
Implicit Atheism (I don't see how God could be real)
Direct Atheism (There is no God!)
Religion Mythers (God and everything in the bible etc is myth!)
Deism (God is unaware and uninvolved, so there is no Theistic God)
Agnosticism (I don't believe in God but am open minded)
Apatheism (I don't actually care about God, one way or t'other)
Ignosticism/Igtheism. (I don't accept any ideas or definitions about God.

Over to you all.......

I went to a buffet, and, while eating, two reverends were dining together. One was selling his ministry, and the other was buying it. It was very important for the new minister to make strange movements and hand gestures, because in order to get their parishioners to part with mammon, they had to be convinced that it was God speaking through the ministers to the people. So, the two reverends were rehearsing how to fool the people who put their faith in them.

It was clear that the two reverends were atheists. They had attended divinity school, as atheists, with the idea to bilk a lot of mammon from people behaving like hapless sheep. They were their con artist marks....their pigeons....their targets.

When phony reverends are torn down (like Reverend Tex Watson of the murderous Manson Family, and Reverend Jim Bakker, and Reverend Jimmy Swaggart), it hurts religion, because it destroys the faith that people had in God. Losing faith in one's minister causes one to lose faith in God and faith in the religion. Many turned away from the teachings of Jesus because they no longer had faith that they were on the right path.

It is far more honest for an atheist to admit that he/she is an atheist rather than bilking money from the naive people who blindly give.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'll make it simple.
You can have types to theism because there are multiple ways you can believe in at least one deity.
As for atheism, you cannot have multiple ways to not believe in any deity.
Either you do or you don't (not believe).
If theism is the set of natural numbers, atheism is set zero. You can arrange natural numbers in an infinite number of ways. You can arrange zero in one way.

Strong atheism is a subset of atheism (not to be confused with the example I provided). Not a type.

But that's like saying there are many definitions of color. There are many types of color, but color itself has one definition. So, we don't say brown is color1 and red is color3. We just say they are both colors. The nature of the shade is irrelevant in the definition.

Same with atheism. The nature of the word (strong/weak/whatever) is irrelevant to the definition of atheism: disbelief in god's existence.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Well I am seeing half the brain says one believes in One God, then the other half is saying all those that do not choose my view of One God are false gods or true god godless. :confused::eek::)

Regards Tony

Atheism : disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

So no gods, no false gods, no true gods.

One cannot say they believe in any gods and also say they are atheist

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Wow.... I'm learning something about atheism for sure.

Before this thread I had no clues.

Question. Could it be said that when you were young you were an Apatheist? I'm just showing off what I've learned now. :p
In fact, yes, that fits.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Various kinds of Atheism

Denominations/Sects of Atheism are on the increase to the liking or disliking of the Atheism people, they cannot stop it, as I understand.
For example if one states one's religion as "Christian Atheist" etc., it adds one denomination/sect to Christianity as well as one denomination/sect to Atheism. Right?

It is an individuals prerogative to declare one religion as per the
"The Universal Declaration of Human Rights":

Article 18.

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Right?
And no "ism" or "ianity" can deny this right to an individual, please.
Right?

Regards

darkskies

But that's like saying there are many definitions of color. There are many types of color, but color itself has one definition. So, we don't say brown is color1 and red is color3. We just say they are both colors. The nature of the shade is irrelevant in the definition.

Same with atheism. The nature of the word (strong/weak/whatever) is irrelevant to the definition of atheism: disbelief in god's existence.
I agree. I should've used a non-sequencial set as an example. In any case, the point made it across.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
A rare shot of a wild haggis

View attachment 47934

Unfortunately you cannot see the edible left back leg in that shot. The left leg grows fat and succulent because of the haggis's habbit of only running one was round and round its home hill, being on such a slope exercises the muscle in that leg to a fine degree. Haggis spotters will point out those with the most succulent back leg to the hunters who run round and round the hill after the haggis until the haggis gives up from exhaustion
Meh....... that photo was undoubtedly photo-shopped by some crazed Haggis follower.
They're total nutters the lot of them, meeting up in their silly little secret haggis lodges and talking in that funny accent. And they wear dresses!! I don't want to get upset this morning but when I think of all those idiots out there who give generously to the bloody Haggis Charitable Foundation which of course is run by that Revolting engineer from some desolate US State..... and he DOES NOT spend the money on kiddies' safety pens..... oh no..... he goes and buys lumps of rusting metal to put in his museum. *sniffs*

Haggis denialists definitely do have a place on this thread. Their title must be included. *slow breathing exercises*

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I went to a buffet, and, while eating, two reverends were dining together. One was selling his ministry, and the other was buying it. It was very important for the new minister to make strange movements and hand gestures, because in order to get their parishioners to part with mammon, they had to be convinced that it was God speaking through the ministers to the people. So, the two reverends were rehearsing how to fool the people who put their faith in them.

It was clear that the two reverends were atheists. They had attended divinity school, as atheists, with the idea to bilk a lot of mammon from people behaving like hapless sheep. They were their con artist marks....their pigeons....their targets.

When phony reverends are torn down (like Reverend Tex Watson of the murderous Manson Family, and Reverend Jim Bakker, and Reverend Jimmy Swaggart), it hurts religion, because it destroys the faith that people had in God. Losing faith in one's minister causes one to lose faith in God and faith in the religion. Many turned away from the teachings of Jesus because they no longer had faith that they were on the right path.

It is far more honest for an atheist to admit that he/she is an atheist rather than bilking money from the naive people who blindly give.

Was the buffet tasty?
The thing about us Deists is, that we do attend Tea/biscuit, Snack'n'chat, soup'n'service events and have become finely tuned to buffet quality.

We're the ones who sit at the back filling their faces and nicking bickies off old ladies' plates when they look away.

I can only say that I wish I had been there! :p

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Regards Tony
Hello Tony....... have you come to save us all?
You've got a job 'n'a-half there, mate. Honestly.

So far nobody has told me that I, a Deist, shouldn't be here. :p

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Absolutely!
As far as this thread is concerned, if there are folks out there who do not believe in God and call themselves 'No-Goddies!' then their title gets on the list. This is about any and all folks' choices.