• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Various kinds of Atheism

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Various kinds of Atheism

a = without

without-theism
Yes, that alpha meant -less. It is the exact equivalent of the English suffix -less. So god-less.
Being godless does not imply the non-existence of a deity. It can imply that my life is autonomous from deities (whether they exist or not).:)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I agree. I should've used a non-sequencial set as an example. In any case, the point made it across.

It's okay. It's just a pet peeve. It's probably because people don't want to be put in a box. Take christians-now there is spiritual and not religious and non-denomination.

Boxes don't define us, but I'm not sure why one can't be in one for sake of conversation.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Various kinds of Atheism

I had to post this in the 'General Religious' debates section because this debate is intended for anybody to respond to.

A thread about various churches within Christianity has led on to this question.
I cannot think of many kinds of Atheism myself, but here is my short list.
Please do add to the list, argue about it, deny bits of it....... as you please. :p

Religious Atheism (Henotheism. Christianity. etc )
Implicit Atheism (I don't see how God could be real)
Direct Atheism (There is no God!)
Religion Mythers (God and everything in the bible etc is myth!)
Deism (God is unaware and uninvolved, so there is no Theistic God)
Agnosticism (I don't believe in God but am open minded)
Apatheism (I don't actually care about God, one way or t'other)
Ignosticism/Igtheism. (I don't accept any ideas or definitions about God.

Over to you all.......
You think that all "kinds of atheism" are concerned with God-with-a-capital-G? o_O

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
This is perhaps true. However my view is god is of the mind, some people have the concept of gods within their mind, some don't, i am one who doesn't. The idea of gods most obviously exists for some people, i am glad to say i am without such embuggerence
That really sounds as if you could join @blü 2 's club.
Sadly I cannot, wouldn't even be allowed in their bar.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
+++Except atheism.

Horsefeathers! I'm without all sorts of things that don't exist, in fact, I'm without everything that doesn't exist.
Blimey!
Does that include natural beauty?
Ah....no, that does exist.... Just looked in the mirror. :p

Maybe @blü 2 can explain it better than a Deist can.

There could be a form of religious Atheism, while claiming to beleive in God.

For those who hold an apophatic view of god:

"Mauthner admired Meister Eckhart, a fourteenth-century Christian mystic who died in obscure circumstances after being subjected to trial by the Inquisition, as a true atheist, since Eckhart insisted that nothing could be said of God – not even that God existed." The silence of animals, John Gray

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For those who hold an apophatic view of god:

"Mauthner admired Meister Eckhart, a fourteenth-century Christian mystic who died in obscure circumstances after being subjected to trial by the Inquisition, as a true atheist, since Eckhart insisted that nothing could be said of God – not even that God existed." The silence of animals, John Gray

It has been offered that all we can know of God is the Messenger.

Most will see them as a man like us.

Regards Tony

Heyo

Veteran Member
I thought both theists and deists believed in God, the difference being whether God's a judgemental interventionist or indifferent.
That's right and that makes deists a-theists (at least in the literal sense).

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
+++Except atheism.

Horsefeathers! I'm without all sorts of things that don't exist, in fact, I'm without everything that doesn't exist.
It's not just that gods aren't real, don't have objective existence.

It's also that there's no coherent concept of what a real god would be, hence no test that will tell us whether any real suspect is God (or a god). or not.

Nor is there a coherent concept of "godness", the objective quality a real god would have and a real superscientist would lack.

The unicorn has neither of these problems.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Blimey!
Does that include natural beauty?
Ah....no, that does exist.... Just looked in the mirror. :p

Maybe @blü 2 can explain it better than a Deist can.
"Beauty" is an aesthetic judgment we make, varying according to culture, and mixing sexual attraction, the appeal of utility, and symbols and scenes and aspects taken to be positive and thus appealing in themselves. Or something like that. For instance, we don't know why our cave-dwelling ancestors painted animals on the walls, but our guesses include sympathetic magic to generate good luck at hunting, or the celebration of a successful hunt, or religious observation or appeasement, or just for the hell of it, primal graffiti.

And we don't find sunsets as such being the widely admired and appreciated phenomena that they are today in the West until the 18th century, along with the rise of Romanticism.

For the aesthetics of sexual attraction, I'd recommend Jared Diamond's Why is Sex Fun? as a good place to start.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It's not just that gods aren't real, don't have objective existence.

It's also that there's no coherent concept of what a real god would be, hence no test that will tell us whether any real suspect is God (or a god). or not.

Nor is there a coherent concept of "godness", the objective quality a real god would have and a real superscientist would lack.

The unicorn has neither of these problems.

Nor is there a coherent concept of objective reality as independent of the mind.

night912

Various kinds of Atheism

Denominations/Sects of Atheism are on the increase to the liking or disliking of the Atheism people, they cannot stop it, as I understand.
For example if one states one's religion as "Christian Atheist" etc., it adds one denomination/sect to Christianity as well as one denomination/sect to Atheism. Right?
It is an individuals prerogative to declare one religion as per the
"The Universal Declaration of Human Rights":

Article 18.

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Right?
And no "ism" or "ianity" can deny this right to an individual, please.
Right?

Regards
Having the right to believe, is not the same as being correct. An example would be person saying, "I believe that according to science, I'm biologically, I am a plant." Here, that person has the right to believe that his statement is true and nobody should stop him from believing that, but scientifically, he is wrong. So context is important when someone makes a statement or addressed someone else's statement.