• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Various kinds of Atheism

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That position is "without" theism
There are one or two that don't fit in to that category.
@blü 2 is an Igtheist or Ignosticist who just denies any idea or definition about God and so cannot be unbelieving in any God.

While one of those title is welded securely to 'theism' the other might fit that mindset better. As in...... 'God?.... Whassat?'

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Lucifer lived by faith in the unseen Father of the Paradise Sons until he didn’t. Lucifer fell in love with his own bs.
Ah.... we can all fancy our own stuff.... yeah.
But if Lucifer has any supernatural abilities then he might be the God that atheists deny?

This gets interesting.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It's a myth in Ameristand.
But in Scotland it's stick-to-yer-ribs real food.
You were duped!
That was not a haggis....... it was some offal stuffed in a colon and micro-waved!

And ..... fgs..... they wear dresses.

Yer True Scotsman has a Full English Breakfast, whereas we in the South of England now have Full Turkish Breakfast (true).

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Various kinds of Atheism

Denominations/Sects of Atheism are on the increase to the liking or disliking of the Atheism people, they cannot stop it, as I understand.
For example if one states one's religion as "Christian Atheist" etc., it adds one denomination/sect to Christianity as well as one denomination/sect to Atheism. Right?
It is an individuals prerogative to declare one religion as per the
"The Universal Declaration of Human Rights":

Article 18.

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Right?
And no "ism" or "ianity" can deny this right to an individual, please.
Right?

Regards
That is what we are finding here.
Nobody can insist how anybody else chooses their titles.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
And one of the problems @oldbadger has with the definition. He's a deist, so he's without theism. But then the atheists move the goalposts and say "atheism is not believing in any gods". So he is stuck between those two definitions.
It was ever thus, Heyo.
It's a real problem these days, getting in to a decent Christian 'free grub 'n' chat' convention without screams of 'Deist in the room!' (blind panic).
And the blooming atheists won't let us to their bars at happy hour.

Alone..... out in the cold. *sniffles

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There are one or two that don't fit in to that category.
@blü 2 is an Igtheist or Ignosticist who just denies any idea or definition about God and so cannot be unbelieving in any God.

While one of those title is welded securely to 'theism' the other might fit that mindset better. As in...... 'God?.... Whassat?'

So you say @blü 2 is without gods... ok, next

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And one of the problems @oldbadger has with the definition. He's a deist, so he's without theism. But then the atheists move the goalposts and say "atheism is not believing in any gods". So he is stuck between those two definitions.
I thought both theists and deists believed in God, the difference being whether God's a judgemental interventionist or indifferent.

ChristineM

Premium Member
If we're talking about real (non-imaginary) gods, it's worse than that ─ I don't even know what I'm supposed to be without.

And as far as I can tell, no one else does either,

How about the whole concept of gods.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How about the whole concept of gods.
Concepts are easy. I have the concept of as many gods as I could wish, one by one or together. They can look like the bearded old man of Renaissance paintings, or doves, suns, Ganesha, or Marvel comics, or Greek statuary, or Russian icons, or spirits in a No play, or illustrations in a book of fairy tales, or paintings on an Egyptian tomb, on and on. (The apophatic god is more tricky, perhaps a wisp of incense or a curtain stirred by a breeze.)

But real ones? No.

A parallel problem is that there's no concept of real "godness", the quality that a real god would have and a real superscientist who could create universes, travel in time, raise the dead &c, would lack.

If God is indeed real, does have objective existence, then that's just weird,

Instead, as I mentioned, when it comes to real gods, not only does no one know what they're actually talking about, what real entity the word "God" is intended to denote, but they don't even have the beginnings of a vocabulary appropriate for such a being,

Colt

Ah.... we can all fancy our own stuff.... yeah.
But if Lucifer has any supernatural abilities then he might be the God that atheists deny?

This gets interesting.
Lucifer was a type of Son of God with delegated powers and authority under the administration of the Creator Son. He had been a brilliant, loyal servant for ages until he concocted the idea in his own mind that there is no Universal Father.

And so he launched his orgy of darkness and death.

Both, I would think, simply because the word "atheism" contains "theism." Hence the former denotes a position ("a" - prefix "without") in regard to the latter.

FWIW, that does not reflect the word's etymology which is athe(os) + ism, rather than a-theism.

So it doesn't contain theism in the same sense amoral contains moral for example.

The 2 terms are

Theos + ism
Atheos + ism

I agree it's a position though as all -isms are positions/beliefs/ideologies AFAIK.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
FWIW, that does not reflect the word's etymology which is athe(os) + ism, rather than a-theism.

So it doesn't contain theism in the same sense amoral contains moral for example.

The 2 terms are

Theos + ism
Atheos + ism

I agree it's a position though as all -isms are positions/beliefs/ideologies AFAIK.
I need to stop making **** up.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Lucifer was a type of Son of God with delegated powers and authority under the administration of the Creator Son. He had been a brilliant, loyal servant for ages until he concocted the idea in his own mind that there is no Universal Father.

And so he launched his orgy of darkness and death.
My next thread is about various kinds of Satanism etc and so your input would be most welcome.
:)

ChristineM

Premium Member
@blü 2 and igtheists say you can't be without something that doesn't exist.

This is perhaps true. However my view is god is of the mind, some people have the concept of gods within their mind, some don't, i am one who doesn't. The idea of gods most obviously exists for some people, i am glad to say i am without such embuggerence

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

The 2 terms are

Theos + ism
Atheos + ism

+++Except atheism.
@blü 2 and igtheists say you can't be without something that doesn't exist.
Horsefeathers! I'm without all sorts of things that don't exist, in fact, I'm without everything that doesn't exist.

Last edited: